First Name
CivicEXL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EXL 2016
Country flag
Hello all,

I have a 2016 Civic EXL with 52000 miles. Today, my front left tire went flat in the highway with a tire burst. I tried to get the change the tire but the jack fell down when I was trying to change the tire. So, someone else had to jack up the car to fix the spare tire.

Here are my questions

1) Is there any possibility of damage to the car because the car fell down (left front side) due to the jack?
2) The car drives fine but I hear a weird sound from the tire when the car is driving - is this extra noise from the spare tire normal?
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
If you put the tire under the car as they tell you.....

There could be some damage if the car fell on the ground on one corner but I would guess not too serious.

Does the spare tire seem to make sounds only at higher speed or at any speed? I don’t think low speed (up to 25 mph) noise is normal.

fjrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic 4 door LX with CVT
Country flag
The spare tire has a noisy tread pattern.

Don't use it more than necessary.

When stored the spare's air valve faces down. Difficult to periodically check the air pressure as recommended in the Owner's Manual.

So, not many check the pressure until they need to install it.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
FYI unless the Spare tire is the same Diameter as the OEM Tire you really shouldn't run it on the front you don't want different diameter tires on the drive wheels. in terms of possible damage, yes, you just dropped the body on the ground from like a foot in the air, there is bound to be scraps and crap on that corner and possibly damaged suspension depending on how hard it hit always slide the flat tire under the car in case the car falls. I doubt there would be significant suspension damage though, those parts are robust, I once saw the aftermath of a full size chevy pickup that had the wheel fall off while driving and was able to see how the lower control arm was ground down from sliding down the road. and as bad as it was it was still in one piece.

What kind of noise is it? diagnosing a noise is really hard if you can't describe the noise.

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
If the wheel was still on the car, you shouldn't have any issues. If the wheel was removed when the car fell, I would expect you probably have a damaged brake caliper at the very least.
As was mentioned, it can do damage to your differential if you run different size tires on the front. You should really swap out a rear with a front tire that goes flat, and then put the spare on the rear. There is also usually a speed rating on spare tires, so make sure you are aware and stay under it.
Sponsored