Spare Tire for Type R

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
This kit is now listed as discontinued on the Honda parts site. Any idea what's up?
Okay got the kit today and to answer my own question, it seems that the part number has been updated:

06421-TGH-A33ZA is the new part number for the kit that has replaced the old one.
Sponsored

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Okay got the kit today and to answer my own question, it seems that the part number has been updated:

06421-TGH-A33ZA is the new part number for the kit that has replaced the old one.
Has anybody used the spare tire yet and if so do you feel that it was a worthwhile investment?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
Has anybody used the spare tire yet and if so do you feel that it was a worthwhile investment?
For $400, the peace of mind is well worth it. Not to mention it includes a jack, lug wrench, and tow hook (none of which come stock).

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
For $400, the peace of mind is well worth it. Not to mention it includes a jack, lug wrench, and tow hook (none of which come stock).
For $200 I purchased another stock wheel and tire. When I travel I’ll carry this spare tire and I will keep going and you be at a tire shop waiting for a replacement tire and how long will that take?

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
So a while back you came on here to display your superior intellect and forward thinking by informing us all how, if I may paraphrase, we are all dumb for buying a spare tire and how much smarter you are for buying a full-size spare tire. And now you are on here asking us if our actions that you declared to be dumb were worthwhile.

Hmmmmmm.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
For $200 I purchased another stock wheel and tire. When I travel I’ll carry this spare tire and I will keep going and you be at a tire shop waiting for a replacement tire and how long will that take?
Hey genius, did it ever occur to you that you could own both a mini spare AND a full-size spare? Then you could carry the mini when you are around town and close to tire shops and your full-size at your house. Then when you go out of town, you can throw the full-size in the back to make sure you have a full size tire to cover any situation where a replacement is not easily and readily available?

I know, it is absolutely amazing that a good idea exists in this world that did not originate with you.

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
What is your problem man? I posted updated info on the kit for other members and you respond with condescending comments unprovoked. Go brag to your wife that you saved some money and take her out to a nice dinner.

Some of us want the Honda kit with a mini spare and all the tools.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
I apologize for my comments but I got a flat in my civic once and the brand new spare tire developed an aneurism in the side wall after a few minutes and left me stranded in AZ. I will never carry a dummy spare tire again. They just aren’t safe.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Throwing this out for future reference.

I'm thinking of using my 20" OE takeoffs as spares for two cars, CTR (me) and EX-T sedan (wife). This is on the premise that I'm mainly a city dweller who commute within 50 miles from home. To achieve this, I'll order a set of 19mm hub-centric 5x114.3 (thread M12x1.5) to 5x120 (M14x1.5) adapters and keep them next to the 20" spares. The wheel with adapter may also fit my CR-V (need to test this someday).

See thread here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/will-type-r-wheels-and-tires-fit-on-hatchback.23924/

The set of 20" spares will be left in the garage at all times and will be called up whenever either car has a flat (within 50 miles from home). Also bring tools (socket + wrench) to install the adapter(s). The diameters between the two tires (235/40/18 vs 245/30/20) are only 1.5% off so it's not really a concern.

I'm always the go-to guy in my house whenever there's a flat/accident anyway, so either I or the wife will need to transport the spare to the scene no matter what. Of course, the first option is to call AAA but this is just another option to have in case of having a flat near home. Carrying a full-size spare with the hub-centric adapter (only needed in the sedan) in longer trips is another option.

https://www.google.com/search?q=5x114.3+5x120+adapter+19mm

Last edited:

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
What is your problem man? I posted updated info on the kit for other members and you respond with condescending comments unprovoked. Go brag to your wife that you saved some money and take her out to a nice dinner.

Some of us want the Honda kit with a mini spare and all the tools.

I hope that everyone understands that my concern is the safety of fellow Type R owners. The donut tire should never be used on highways. The tires should only be used in town below 45 mph not at 65 mph. Although I carry a full size spare when traveling across AZ, what I suggest is being towed in case of a problem. Unfortunately if you go this route you may be stuck waiting for a tire and your rims might be damaged if they don’t have the right equipment. I just want everyone to be safe.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
This topic drives me nuts due to the people who have zero facts and just spout off what they "think" and try to put off as facts. So of what you are telling people is down right dangerous. First off Honda did not just go and pull a spare off the shelf at a local department store. I can promises you it was tested, retested, independently verified and government tested on top of that and put through failure tests on both the front and back of the car. They spent more on testing this spare then you could imagine. To sit here and tell people to not put it on the front is stupid and bone headed and dangerous. The last thing anyone needs to be doing with a 3200lb car and maybe even with kids in it on the side of a busy highway is playing switch the wheels around. if the front goes flat change it and go on. The spare was designed to clear the front calipers. WHY? Because it CAN go on the front just fine. and like I said Honda tested it to lengths because well they don't want to be sued. Matter of fact the manual shows the front tire being changed with the spare so... 2. the tire is R rated. it is a continental T125/70 R 18 R ratings are good to 106 MPH. Now am I suggesting to go tearing around on the spare? NO I am Not it is actually stamped not to go over 50 on the tire. But with a R rating I would safely say if you needed to speed up a tad to merge or something you would be fine. 3. The wheel itself. have you seen one? have you touched it? it is a beast. it is a giant hunk of a piece of metal a good 3/4 inch thick. I would safely say you could take a pot hole straight on and it would fair better than the OEM wheels do.

Bottom line stop spreading YOUR ill informed fears to others. The spare is made to go on any wheel position and the tire itself is not like old days it is a full on MINI tire with poly sidewalls and all it is no piece of junk. Am I suggesting drive around on it or go to the track of course not. but all this B.S. "suggestions" here are just stupid fear mongering and some are down right dangerous at that. if you get a flat just put the spare on the wheel that needs it , drive like a normal person to the tire shop and get it change. simple. Some people on here like to make a giant issue out of nothing.

But I am not one to say I am 100 percent right. if any of you can show me proof and not internet i read it on a forum so it must be true. That the wheel should never go on the front. And that you should put yourself in harms way on a the side of the free way playing musical chairs with your wheels. By all means please show me. yall make it sound like if you put a spare on the front the cars gonna turn into a death trap throw itself off a cliff and burst into flames. any normal person knows a spare with half the tread width would possibly have reduced steering response "maybe" no one here is gonna think a spare is a full tire and needs you to fear monger them.

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
This topic drives me nuts due to the people who have zero facts and just spout off what they "think" and try to put off as facts. So of what you are telling people is down right dangerous. First off Honda did not just go and pull a spare off the shelf at a local department store. I can promises you it was tested, retested, independently verified and government tested on top of that and put through failure tests on both the front and back of the car. They spent more on testing this spare then you could imagine. To sit here and tell people to not put it on the front is stupid and bone headed and dangerous. The last thing anyone needs to be doing with a 3200lb car and maybe even with kids in it on the side of a busy highway is playing switch the wheels around. if the front goes flat change it and go on. The spare was designed to clear the front calipers. WHY? Because it CAN go on the front just fine. and like I said Honda tested it to lengths because well they don't want to be sued. Matter of fact the manual shows the front tire being changed with the spare so... 2. the tire is R rated. it is a continental T125/70 R 18 R ratings are good to 106 MPH. Now am I suggesting to go tearing around on the spare? NO I am Not it is actually stamped not to go over 50 on the tire. But with a R rating I would safely say if you needed to speed up a tad to merge or something you would be fine. 3. The wheel itself. have you seen one? have you touched it? it is a beast. it is a giant hunk of a piece of metal a good 3/4 inch thick. I would safely say you could take a pot hole straight on and it would fair better than the OEM wheels do.

Bottom line stop spreading YOUR ill informed fears to others. The spare is made to go on any wheel position and the tire itself is not like old days it is a full on MINI tire with poly sidewalls and all it is no piece of junk. Am I suggesting drive around on it or go to the track of course not. but all this B.S. "suggestions" here are just stupid fear mongering and some are down right dangerous at that. if you get a flat just put the spare on the wheel that needs it , drive like a normal person to the tire shop and get it change. simple. Some people on here like to make a giant issue out of nothing.

But I am not one to say I am 100 percent right. if any of you can show me proof and not internet i read it on a forum so it must be true. That the wheel should never go on the front. And that you should put yourself in harms way on a the side of the free way playing musical chairs with your wheels. By all means please show me. yall make it sound like if you put a spare on the front the cars gonna turn into a death trap throw itself off a cliff and burst into flames. any normal person knows a spare with half the tread width would possibly have reduced steering response "maybe" no one here is gonna think a spare is a full tire and needs you to fear monger them.
I’m not sure what you problem is but driving 500 miles on a donut spare does not appeal to me. If you want to do it knock yourself out. I will carry a full size tire and wheel when traveling long distance. In town the current system works for me and AAA is my preferred backup in 110F temperatures. I don’t know about you but I had a problem with a donut spare before and I was lucky. Best of luck to you.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’m not sure what you problem is but driving 500 miles on a donut spare does not appeal to me. If you want to do it knock yourself out. I will carry a full size tire and wheel when traveling long distance. In town the current system works for me and AAA is my preferred backup in 110F temperatures. I don’t know about you but I had a problem with a donut spare before and I was lucky. Best of luck to you.
Who the hell drives 500 miles on a spare? A spare is to get you to a shop. Aso don't cheap out on a spare tire. My spare is a full on continental spare tire not some cheap chinese spare. You get a flat you put on a spare and go to the nearest shop to get the regular tire fixed/replaced. If you are driving it more than that then well... there is no hope for you. But apparently something i said hit home with you. I was mostly addressing the jack wagons who tell people not to put it on front or play musical wheels on the side of the highway. also spare tires have stepped it up from 20 years ago when they were basically inner tubes. They are full rated sidewalled tires now. So the fears are unwarranted. But whatever you wanna cause yourself more issues and time and money in your life be my guest. Myself . Slap spare on, google nearest quality tire shop, go to said shop get tire fixed or replaced. done. some people make a bigger deal of crap then it needs to be.

Last edited:

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag

Can you name a topic that doesn't drive you nuts?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Can you name a topic that doesn't drive you nuts?
Movies, cheese, girls, car meets, music, facts, the color blue, beaches, food, cooking, fixing things, documentaries, college, ebay, technology, hacking, the innocence of animals, day dreaming, sleeping, the beach, world travel, ireland, people who are not idiots, circumventing security measures on electronics, anatomy, hydrogen atoms, the periodic table, the origins of the universe, religious history, meeting people in real life. You?
Sponsored