Spare Tire for Type R

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I think I'm gonna opt for buying a scissor jack, a short Breaker bar, and use my Tire plug kit, lug nut sockets in the truck.

This would be everything i need without the spare tire kit.
I was gonna go and get the spare tire kit, but I think a tire plug kit is more beneficial for me.
Interesting I was going to go this route too. I got my breaker in the trunk already. Need to get a tire plug kit...
Sponsored

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I am curious, for those that use a Full Size spare, what tires do you use?
Usually high performance tires i buy is directional meaning they can only rotate one way, so I can't swap them from left side of the car to the right side.

Setanta

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 CRX, 99 Integra Type R, MY19 FK8
Country flag
It fits the same except near the seats like you mentioned. Its molded to go up but now it needs to go down. I assume the GA summer heat will assist with that.

upload_2017-10-17_13-5-8.png
Interestingly, My Aussie boot (trunk to you other colonials) tray doesn't extend that far back, the raised section doesn't exist and we got the option for metal dividers. in the tray. It could be what you are looking for. The Euro Civics got it too I think.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R dm-boot-tray-with-dividers-for-civic-type-r-fk8-17

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Interestingly, My Aussie boot (trunk to you other colonials) tray doesn't extend that far back, the raised section doesn't exist and we got the option for metal dividers. in the tray. It could be what you are looking for. The Euro Civics got it too I think.

dm-boot-tray-with-dividers-for-civic-type-r-fk8-17.jpg
Looks great, but those dividers and that raised section in the back would be a hastle for those that put in rolling lugages

OIK

First Name
Omair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3
Country flag
Does anyone have a picture of a 20" Type R rim mounted inside with the cover closed? I am going to purchase the kit but want to buy a 20" Type R LE Rim with a new tire and mount it within instead of using the 18" Yellow Spare.

Omair

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Does anyone have a picture of a 20" Type R rim mounted inside with the cover closed? I am going to purchase the kit but want to buy a 20" Type R LE Rim with a new tire and mount it within instead of using the 18" Yellow Spare.

Omair
The normal cover does not come close to being flush against the floor, and the elevated cover that comes with the spare tire kit also will not close with a 20” OEM wheel in it. The 20” takes up a ton of space and the elevated cover that comes with the spare kit only raises the floor of the cargo space a couple inches.

people have posted pictures of a 20” wheel tied down with a cargo net but that takes up a ton of space and kind of defeats the practicality of the hatch

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I've read through this thread a couple times but don't think I saw this question brought up, but those of you with the spare tire kit, is it necessary to have the foam insert holding the tools installed between the spare tire and the floor?

Curious if we could skip out on the foam piece completely and store the tools in a bag or something to create additional space in the trunk.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
I've read through this thread a couple times but don't think I saw this question brought up, but those of you with the spare tire kit, is it necessary to have the foam insert holding the tools installed between the spare tire and the floor?

Curious if we could skip out on the foam piece completely and store the tools in a bag or something to create additional space in the trunk.

Thanks in advance guys :)
You don’t have to have the foam piece there but you still need the raised floor piece to cover the spare so you won’t save any space

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the response! I thought the stock floor might have fit with the hinge mechanism.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the response! I thought the stock floor might have fit with the hinge mechanism.
no dice, I was hoping the same thing when I did my install. It seems like you lose a lot of space at first, but I’ve gotten used to it

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
no dice, I was hoping the same thing when I did my install. It seems like you lose a lot of space at first, but I’ve gotten used to it
Honda Civic 10th gen Spare Tire for Type R 1683456B-E767-4092-B061-7432642DEEE8
Thats why I roll like this. Its there when you need it or you can take it out and have a large trunk when you need that too. It doesnt slide around unless you really crank the wheel. Whats nice is that you still have the foam insert to put stuff in and the spare only costs $50 on Ebay.
The spare came from an Acura TL but there are a couple other Acuras that would work too.

SonicTyphoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah I'm thinking about going that route as well and possibly put a cargo net over it just in case to hold it in place. What'd you end up picking up for tools (lug tool, jack, etc.)?

Thanks for the posts and ideas! Really appreciate it guys.

Tev42

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
1683456B-E767-4092-B061-7432642DEEE8.jpeg
Thats why I roll like this. Its there when you need it or you can take it out and have a large trunk when you need that too. It doesnt slide around unless you really crank the wheel. Whats nice is that you still have the foam insert to put stuff in and the spare only costs $50 on Ebay.
The spare came from an Acura TL but there are a couple other Acuras that would work too.
I had to move cross country with what fit in my hatch, managed to do it with the raised floor over the OEM spare

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Yeah I'm thinking about going that route as well and possibly put a cargo net over it just in case to hold it in place. What'd you end up picking up for tools (lug tool, jack, etc.)?

Thanks for the posts and ideas! Really appreciate it guys.
Already had the tow hook and lug wrench hidden in the left side trunk compartment. Bought a scissor jack and put it in the foam tray underneath

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
Has anyone purchased or find any spare tire for the type r, since I will daily drive this beast :drive: any recommendations???
Go with a full size spare or nothing at all. I only put mine in the car when I am going out of town.
Sponsored