civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Hello everybody. I’ve been contemplating on buying some 20/25 mm spacers for my civic sedan sport. The only thing that’s holding me back is I don’t know where I can get them installed at. I got quoted $120 to get all of them installed at a shop near me, that sounds a little pricey too install some spacers, but what do I know. Anyways, anyone know any good shops who would install them for a decent price? I’m in the east bay if that helps. Thanks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Sedan, 2003 Trailblazer LS, 1999 Pontiac Firebird
Country flag
spacers like wheel spacers? WHY would you pay to have that done? Yes that sounds pretty crazy to me but I haven't seen the backside of your wheels or the style of spacers you plan to use. At that large they better be the ones that bolt onto the hub then you bolt your wheels to them and not those garbage ones that just effectively make your wheel studs shorter. The only things I could see resulting in prices like that is if A) you are doing the crappy spacers and so they have to install longer wheel studs at all 20 studs or B) they have to grind down the stock studs so they don't prevent the wheel from sitting flush on the spacer in the bolt on spacer kind of spacer.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
$120 sounds like shops labor rate. You can certainly do this yourself with a few tools and some youtube videos (or a beer if you find someone local on the board willing to lend a hand) if necessary. Not much harder than just removing and installing your wheels.

As mentioned, 20-25mm spacers (1" or so) would require they either:
1) Be the bolt on kind.. Bolt to your hub, then bolt your wheel to the spacer. In this case, I prefer to call them "adaptors"
2) Be a very large spacer that would also require longer wheel bolts to be purchased and used as well.

OP
OP
civic_kid

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
spacers like wheel spacers? WHY would you pay to have that done? Yes that sounds pretty crazy to me but I haven't seen the backside of your wheels or the style of spacers you plan to use. At that large they better be the ones that bolt onto the hub then you bolt your wheels to them and not those garbage ones that just effectively make your wheel studs shorter. The only things I could see resulting in prices like that is if A) you are doing the crappy spacers and so they have to install longer wheel studs at all 20 studs or B) they have to grind down the stock studs so they don't prevent the wheel from sitting flush on the spacer in the bolt on spacer kind of spacer.
If I could I would do it myself. I just don’t have the tools or space to get this done.

CobraCommand

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Canadian Civic LX Hatchback, formerly 2017 Canadian Civic LX Sedan
Country flag
If I could I would do it myself. I just don’t have the tools or space to get this done.
You should have the tools required to take a wheel off and on the car. With the quoted cost you could buy a better jack and a torque wrench to set them to spec, then you'd have them for ages. Just go to a parking lot and put them on yourself then. It'll take minutes.

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
I don't know your situation, but if you are installing hubcentric spacers like Garageline's, all you have to do is take off the tire and put the spacer on. The only thing you'd need to buy would be a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts. They're not that expensive, and worth the purchase. If you don't buy, maybe borrow from friend or something. Regardless, if you're looking for shop / garage recommendations, you should probably ask this in the Regional CA section. https://www.civicx.com/forums/california-ca.26/

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
car should have a crappy jack and a lug wrench back with the spare tire, that in theory should be all the tools you absolutely require, but then again that depends on the type of spacers (which you haven't told us yet) if they are the "adapter" spacers any tire shop should be able to do that depending on the clearances, if you remove your wheels and look on the backside of the wheel where it meets the hub you will either see a flat plain or the wheel will have spaces "carved out" between the lug nut holes to reduce the mass of the wheel and those carved out spaces may allow the stock studs to clear by "poking into those voids" the only reason you should pay anything more then the cost of a tire rotation is if the studs have to be modified or replaced.

OP
OP
civic_kid

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
I don't know your situation, but if you are installing hubcentric spacers like Garageline's, all you have to do is take off the tire and put the spacer on. The only thing you'd need to buy would be a torque wrench to properly tighten the bolts. They're not that expensive, and worth the purchase. If you don't buy, maybe borrow from friend or something. Regardless, if you're looking for shop / garage recommendations, you should probably ask this in the Regional CA section. https://www.civicx.com/forums/california-ca.26/
Ok thanks. There’s a car jack that comes with the car right? So I could just use that and wouldn’t have to spend money one one? Also, didn’t know about the regional california section, I’m a bit new to this. Thanks again.

jayzon831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic hatchback sport cvt, 2003 Acura RSX (totaled)
Country flag
Ok thanks. There’s a car jack that comes with the car right? So I could just use that and wouldn’t have to spend money one one? Also, didn’t know about the regional california section, I’m a bit new to this. Thanks again.
Yeah, you could use the factory car jack.

U.S.C

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback
Country flag
If you live in so cal I will install them for you. Don’t waste money on a damn spacer install. Btw you have a jack and all the tools needed to do this. Comes with the car.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
car should have a crappy jack and a lug wrench back with the spare tire, that in theory should be all the tools you absolutely require, but then again that depends on the type of spacers (which you haven't told us yet) if they are the "adapter" spacers any tire shop should be able to do that depending on the clearances, if you remove your wheels and look on the backside of the wheel where it meets the hub you will either see a flat plain or the wheel will have spaces "carved out" between the lug nut holes to reduce the mass of the wheel and those carved out spaces may allow the stock studs to clear by "poking into those voids" the only reason you should pay anything more then the cost of a tire rotation is if the studs have to be modified or replaced.
Except the owner has an Si. My Si had no jack or lug wrench as it comes with no spare. Just a can/compressor of fix a flat !

Therefore, the OP would need to buy at minimum a lug wrench and a jack :(

If I was the OP I would check the local region board to see if there is someone local and willing to teach him/her this automotive basic.

OP
OP
civic_kid

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
If you live in so cal I will install them for you. Don’t waste money on a damn spacer install. Btw you have a jack and all the tools needed to do this. Comes with the car.
Really appreciate it but unfortunately I’m up in the Bay Area. Thanks though.

OP
OP
civic_kid

civic_kid

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
I’m probably going to go with garageline spacers as I’ve seen people have given those good reviews.

Daniel644

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Except the owner has an Si. My Si had no jack or lug wrench as it comes with no spare. Just a can/compressor of fix a flat !

Therefore, the OP would need to buy at minimum a lug wrench and a jack :(

If I was the OP I would check the local region board to see if there is someone local and willing to teach him/her this automotive basic.
That sucks, why would Honda do that when they already have the foam board thing that goes over the spare that holds all that crap, is that piece not on the Si and if not why not, that part of the body is no different from the normal Civic is it? Eitherway a cheap jack and lug wrench is far cheaper then paying a shop those kinds of rates and he would then have some tools for future work on the car.

I’m probably going to go with garageline spacers as I’ve seen people have given those good reviews.
so the BOLT ON "adapters", Good thats the right kind.

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
That sucks, why would Honda do that when they already have the foam board thing that goes over the spare that holds all that crap, is that piece not on the Si and if not why not, that part of the body is no different from the normal Civic is it? Eitherway a cheap jack and lug wrench is far cheaper then paying a shop those kinds of rates and he would then have some tools for future work on the car.
On the Si, no spare - to save both weight and money. Under the trunk panel is a foam insert to allow storage of some small items, as well as the inflator/sealant device.
There is available a spare tire kit (lots of threads on that one) and iirc, the spare for the Si may be standard in other markets.

While I can't recall the source, I was originally told that the Si's center exhaust routing cased a variation of the lower body trunk panel vs those models whose exhaust exits to one side. It is apparent with the Si that when the foam insert is removed, there is NOT a deep enough well to keep a spare and the factory trunk panel flat.

Having test driven a base LX sedan and a sport Hatch an noticed there was a spare, I never bothered to check in the Si trunk when I test drove it. I was both surprised and annoyed to find otherwise. At the time, the "kits" were also on a national backorder.

The "kit" includes a replacement trunk panel that is raised about 3" or so. It causes a small reduction in trunk space. It will allow room for a compact spare tire, tools etc. It runs about $300-400 iirc
Sponsored