Sounds like there's rocks/water stuck inside the car body

16EX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CBP Civic EX
This is going to sound absolutely crazy, I know but bear with me.

I have noticed that whenever my car is parked on an incline (i.e. driveway) for an extended period of time that it makes an extremely weird noise once I start driving.

The entire passenger side of the car has an extremely weird noise (more pronounced in the rear) when I reverse and drive for the first few minutes. It sounds like there is water/rocks/sand that is 'moving around' in the car. After a few minutes (less than 1 mile driven) the noise is gone and I don't hear anything anymore.

I've never heard the noise in the afternoon (after work) but after listening closely I'm pretty sure it only happens after I've been parked on a slight incline.

I JUST got back from the dealership and after a whole day of it being in the shop they couldn't replicate the sound or find the cause of it.

I'm really unsure what to do next... I'm going to record the sound the next time it happens (tomorrow morning, probably) but the dealership has stated there is nothing wrong with the car.

Any ideas on:
  • What to do next with the dealership?
  • Ideas what I could be hearing?

Additional Information:
  • Car was rustproofed by a 3rd party 1 month after purchasing (Car is 11 months old now)
  • No accidents/body damage
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
its probably the rotors being rusty and grinding on your pads a little

dandOy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex-t, 2009 civic ex-L, rsx type-s
Country flag
This is going to sound absolutely crazy, I know but bear with me.

I have noticed that whenever my car is parked on an incline (i.e. driveway) for an extended period of time that it makes an extremely weird noise once I start driving.

The entire passenger side of the car has an extremely weird noise (more pronounced in the rear) when I reverse and drive for the first few minutes. It sounds like there is water/rocks/sand that is 'moving around' in the car. After a few minutes (less than 1 mile driven) the noise is gone and I don't hear anything anymore.

I've never heard the noise in the afternoon (after work) but after listening closely I'm pretty sure it only happens after I've been parked on a slight incline.

I JUST got back from the dealership and after a whole day of it being in the shop they couldn't replicate the sound or find the cause of it.

I'm really unsure what to do next... I'm going to record the sound the next time it happens (tomorrow morning, probably) but the dealership has stated there is nothing wrong with the car.

Any ideas on:
  • What to do next with the dealership?
  • Ideas what I could be hearing?

Additional Information:
  • Car was rustproofed by a 3rd party 1 month after purchasing (Car is 11 months old now)
  • No accidents/body damage

i think i'm hearing the same sound on mine... sounds like water trickling ... or really small pebbles moving on the passenger side of the car. its very faint, but it gets annoying sometimes cause i'm curious of what's causing it.

First Name
Hari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX
Country flag
I just put some gravel in my driveway. I have the same sound since then and im guessing its the cause .

Swiezyy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC X
Country flag
If it is really small rocks, then how they get into body? I think Ican hear it only when car is cold and mostly when making turns or accelerating from stop

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
Ditto!

It sounds like it's coming from under the passenger seat. When I move the seat forward or back there briefly goes away.

I will be removing my passenger seat.

zerointerrupt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe
Country flag
If it is really small rocks, then how they get into body? I think Ican hear it only when car is cold and mostly when making turns or accelerating from stop
Could be getting in on the underside, any opening in the uni-body (frame rails). As for the water trickling sound, I have had that in both my 2017 and 2020 from behind the dash. I believe its coming from the heater core/heating system.
Sponsored