Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey CivicX Fam. I've been removing items from my car for an upcoming event. This includes panels, rear seats, trunk components, etc. Underneath a lot of the covers is this black sound deadening-like material that is a pain to remove. Are there any easy solution to removing it?

Picture is what it looks like in the trunk area.

-Rob

Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal 146085445_491013188570975_2493152179514582460_n
Sponsored

OP
OP
Civic_rob

Civic_rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX-P
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah I saw this video and was hoping there was an easier way than having to use dry ice. I'll probably just suck it up and use dry ice. When I was trying to 'chip' away at it with a pry tool it chipped the metal work so I don't want to do that.

Appreciate the info though!

Narumi

First Name
Narumi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport, 2015 BRZ Premium, 1990 300ZX 2+2
Country flag
I'd like to chime in on this...

I have a lot of experience removing sound deadening for chassis fabrication, and recently had to fully strip a roach infested 2006 CR-V 5MT. The sound deadening had absorbed all of the insect excrements and had to be completely removed. Imagine the awful smell and times that by 10.

Anyhow, there are several types of sound deadening used on vehicles. Although the dry ice method does work for older types of butyl rubber (that have hardened over time), newer vehicles may have a more fibrous top layer that leaves a residue. This is common on vehicles manufactured in Europe, but can also be seen on some stateside cars.

Dry ice will not effectively remove fibrous butyl rubber type. Using a heat gun and plastic scraper is the best solution. It can be tedious when removing large areas because you'll need to heat small sections then immediately scrape before it cools. Depending on the quality of your heat gun, you may be able to expend bigger sections. I usually heat and scrape a 1'x1' area at a time.

Sometimes the heat gun will not penetrate through the thick butyl rubber and an additional pass will be required. After completing the heat and scrape process I utilize "Pro-Strength Remover E-Z Pour Goof Off" product to completely expel residue from the sheet metal.
https://goofoffproducts.com/product/pro-strength-remover-6-oz/
The best way to use this product is to pour it on, spread it with a tooth brush on a small area (no bigger than 6"x6"), and allow it to dissolve the butyl rubber. Use a rag to wipe off and repeat if necessary.

If you are removing the non fibrous sound deadening a heat gun also works well in releasing the adhesive backing. Dry ice does work on this type but can make the job challenging when working on contoured surfaces; it's also expensive.

Be careful when heating the sheet metal especially if there is a nearby body harness. Inspect anything vulnerable under the area susceptible to heat.

The Goof Off product will remove paint but will not strip the primer coat on the factory sheet metal. The longer it sets, the more potent it is. There is a small learning curve associated with timing the setting and wiping off. Do not handle Goof Off without gloves.

I have not prepped the new 10th generation civic chassis so I am unsure about the primer paint/coating on these vehicles. However, after a decade of working on a variety of vehicles Goof Off has proven to not strip the sheet metal primer coat. Test a small area to be safe by applying it with a cloth.

You can find the plastic scraper and Goof Off product at Lowes or Home Depot. It would be a good idea to purchase more than one plastic scraper when removing large areas. A 16oz of E-Z Pour Goof Off will completely remove residue for a 3'x3' area.

The butyl rubber type in your picture may look different but appears to be the non-fibrous type (stick on pad/decal). Heat one side, plastic scrape and repeat in one direction. Similar to peeling off a sticker.

Pictures in this post should provide an idea of sound deadening butyl rubber types and the process of removal.

Non-fibrous type
Resembles a stick on (pad) decal.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal MVIMG_20171203_113821

Fibrous type
Resembles textured spray on liner.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal 20170706_165358

Removal
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal 20170707_145242

Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal 20170901_200343

Honda Civic 10th gen Sound Deadening Removal MVIMG_20171124_175418

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It’s easier to add horsepower than work that hard! Good luck at your event!
Sponsored