Landdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
In my 17 Civic I'm wondering about sound deadening the doors when I do my speaker installs. What I'm mainly concerned about is the factory vapor pad thing in the door. Should I replace that after I do the deadening material behind it or replace it with something else?
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm planning this in the future, just having trouble pulling the trigger on the materials. I've put a lot of thought into this project. I did my WRX and it turned out amazing. I want to do an even better job this time so I'm using more materials. I would check out https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ for a bunch of awesome info on proper sound deadening. I'm estimating this project will cost about $600 worth of materials. MLV is costly :-(

The sound deadening I'm planning consists of the following in order of application:
Doors:
"Dyno-mat" on the inside of the outer door skin. I plan on using Peel and Seal, as I've had fantastic results using that material on my WRX and it only costs $12 for 12ft²
Peel and Seal replacing the OEM vapor barrier.
2lb MLV covering the entire door.
1/2" Closed Cell Foam

Floor:
Peel and Seal over most surfaces
MLV covering everything. Coverage up the firewall as much as possible
CCF Between the carpet and the MLV.

Roof:
Peel and Seal on most of the roof
Full MLV coverage
Hydrophobic Melamine Foam (HMF) between the headliner and roof.

Trunk:
Peel and Seal over all
MLV on the back of the rear seats.
CCF over everything I can.

Quick pic of my WRX
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound deadening doors 192688_10150122606767983_4232149_o
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound deadening doors 188878_10150122613482983_5244034_n

OP
OP

Landdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I'm planning this in the future, just having trouble pulling the trigger on the materials. I've put a lot of thought into this project. I did my WRX and it turned out amazing. I want to do an even better job this time so I'm using more materials. I would check out https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ for a bunch of awesome info on proper sound deadening. I'm estimating this project will cost about $600 worth of materials. MLV is costly :-(

The sound deadening I'm planning consists of the following in order of application:
Doors:
"Dyno-mat" on the inside of the outer door skin. I plan on using Peel and Seal, as I've had fantastic results using that material on my WRX and it only costs $12 for 12ft²
1/2" Closed Cell Foam

Floor:

Roof:
Full MLV coverage

Trunk:
Peel and Seal over all

Quick pic of my WRX
188878_10150122613482983_5244034_n.jpg
Wow. I've heard some not great results about the peal n seal stuff. I've heard the frost king is mixed as well. I'm kinda scared to use the asphalt based products. I don't know. I was planning on going with the Noico product and maybe the foam they sell as well. I've been to that site. That stuff is really expensive. A bit out of my price range. I'm hoping to do the two front doors and trunk and maybe a bit of the floors (I'm not tearing out all the carpet).

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've done two of my cars in Peel and Seal with zero adverse affect. My WRX has been done for about 6 years. It doesn't fall off in the summer, it doesn't smell (anymore, more on that), and it doesn't degrade. I've had my door panels off quiet often and that stuff isn't coming off.

There IS a smell to Peel and Seal. I have an enclosed garage and I was able to leave my windows down for a week. There was only a smell for a very short period of time. My dad has a superhuman nose and smells really bother him. I had him sit in my car a few days after doing it. Even he said it didn't bother him. The smell isn't strong and it's a familiar smell, you kind of dismiss it after a few moments.

I did my old Mustang doors with Peel and Seal also, that car I did not leave in the garage to air out. It sat outside in the hot sun with the windows up. It took about 3 weeks for that smell to dissipate.

In my opinion... $12 Peel and Seal vs $100 Dynomat for the same amount is a no brainer.

OP
OP

Landdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
I've done two of my cars in Peel and Seal with zero adverse affect. My WRX has been done for about 6 years. It doesn't fall off in the summer, it doesn't smell (anymore, more on that), and it doesn't degrade. I've had my door panels off quiet often and that stuff isn't coming off.

There IS a smell to Peel and Seal. I have an enclosed garage and I was able to leave my windows down for a week. There was only a smell for a very short period of time. My dad has a superhuman nose and smells really bother him. I had him sit in my car a few days after doing it. Even he said it didn't bother him. The smell isn't strong and it's a familiar smell, you kind of dismiss it after a few moments.

I did my old Mustang doors with Peel and Seal also, that car I did not leave in the garage to air out. It sat outside in the hot sun with the windows up. It took about 3 weeks for that smell to dissipate.

In my opinion... $12 Peel and Seal vs $100 Dynomat for the same amount is a no brainer.
Wow. I think I may go that route then. That's significant savings.

FaintReality

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Ex / 2017 F350 6.7 / 2011 BMW 550i Dinan Stage 5
I used the Noico 80 mil butyl deadener from Amazon and it worked great. Car door went from sounding like a tin can to a deep thud when you tap on outter door skin.

I plan to do the inner door skins with a ccf/mlv combo for noise reduction. Eventually entire car will be done with the above products.

curt d

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic sport hatch, 06 Cobalt LS, 08 C6 Vette
Country flag
I just did my doors last weekend. I went with the RAAMmat BTXII and Ensolite package. I originally sealed the door openings with alum mesh but decided to remove it since I don't need a perfect setup and in case I need work done in the doors (yesterday I found out I do with only 400mi on the car :/ ). I did mat on outer skin, mat on inner panel, factory vapor barrier and then Ensolite.

Performance Brakes LTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic

Doors:
1/2" Closed Cell Foam

Floor:

Roof:
Full MLV coverage

Trunk:
Peel and Seal over all

Quick pic of my WRX
192688_10150122606767983_4232149_o.jpg
188878_10150122613482983_5244034_n.jpg
Wow, between this and your retro-fit nobody is going to acccuse you of taking the easy (or cheap) way out. :thumbsup:

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow, between this and your retro-fit nobody is going to acccuse you of taking the easy (or cheap) way out. :thumbsup:
Just trying to turn my $20,000 car into the quality of a $60,000 one lol

You guys that installed this stuff, post some pictures up! I'd love to see how you guys are doing it.

civic1907

First Name
adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Turbo Hatchback 2017
Country flag
Just trying to turn my $20,000 car into the quality of a $60,000 one lol

You guys that installed this stuff, post some pictures up! I'd love to see how you guys are doing it.
this what I’m doing
on the door
- 1 layer butyl rubber inside
- 2 layer outside (butyl+foam)
- 1 layer butyl on plastic panel
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound deadening doors E153B469-E093-48D4-A79D-2D063AC37A7D
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound deadening doors 0382A39C-3963-435D-A01C-17B34672FA4F

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
this what I’m doing
on the door
- 1 layer butyl rubber inside
- 2 layer outside (butyl+foam)
- 1 layer butyl on plastic panel
E153B469-E093-48D4-A79D-2D063AC37A7D.jpeg
0382A39C-3963-435D-A01C-17B34672FA4F.jpeg
Man I'm so jealous lol! That looks amazing. Let us know if just doing that reduced the road noise. I bet your sound system and HVAC will be drastically improved after you're finished.

civic1907

First Name
adi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Turbo Hatchback 2017
Country flag
Man I'm so jealous lol! That looks amazing. Let us know if just doing that reduced the road noise. I bet your sound system and HVAC will be drastically improved after you're finished.
thanks. its only reduce the road noise, still there not gone, I can not expect more.
maybe additional rubber sealing to each door will help.
its help the speakers sound as they should.especially on high volume/gain, will be alot of vibrations on car panel.
It’ll improve your sound systems, even the standard stocked system.
how much you spend on your system,alocate some for sound deadning.
Im not expert, its just opinion

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
thanks. its only reduce the road noise, still there not gone, I can not expect more.
maybe additional rubber sealing to each door will help.
its help the speakers sound as they should.especially on high volume/gain, will be alot of vibrations on car panel.
It’ll improve your sound systems, even the standard stocked system.
how much you spend on your system,alocate some for sound deadning.
Im not expert, its just opinion
I totally agree with you. Just jamming really expensive speakers and amps in your car isn't near as good as installing not-as-good speakers and sound deadening/dampening. It's amazing what you can get out of the stock system with just sealing up the doors.

You'll never be able to completely remove road noise. MLV and HPM will drastically do a lot, but there is going to be acoustic resonance from your drive-train and tires that you'll never be able to eliminate.

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
I used the Noico 80 mil butyl deadener from Amazon and it worked great. Car door went from sounding like a tin can to a deep thud when you tap on outter door skin.

I plan to do the inner door skins with a ccf/mlv combo for noise reduction. Eventually entire car will be done with the above products.
Were you able to do this yourself, or did you have someone else do it?

gdagreat

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic ex hatchback
Country flag
i went the cheap route and used peel & seal and my car smelled like asphalt for a very long time...ended up removing it and bought some killmat
Sponsored