Sound dampening

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
Came across this video on alternative to expensive dynamat type of materials

but the product he suggests is asphalt based and apparently it can melt and has a strong odor.

"Peel & Seal is ASPHALT based. It smells and peels off in extreme heat! You want BUTYL based. Butyl is more effective and does not smell. That is why some are really pricey!"

Found a product (Noico) after some digging that is odor free and not very expensive. Good reviews on Amazon as well.
They have some videos on their homepage.
http://noico.info/instructions
Sponsored

Last edited:

hondo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The thing I worry about with peel and seal is that it's made from tar/asphalt instead of butyl rubber. Not sure how that would smell in the car, especially on hot days.

OP
OP
Bworks3

Bworks3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Lexus RX 300
The thing I worry about with peel and seal is that it's made from tar/asphalt instead of butyl rubber. Not sure how that would smell in the car, especially on hot days.
Yeah the idea of fresh asphalt smell all day and night in my car seems ridiculous. I did some snooping in some forums. Found a product that comes in silver or black from Noico on Amazon for $35 for 18 sq ft.
http://www.amazon.com/Noico-Self-ad...&ie=UTF8&qid=1452642222&sr=1-3&keywords=noico
They even have a cool little chart saying about how much would be needed based on what you want done on their homepage.
Calculation of materials for standard noise reduction for car classes
(calculation of the material is in sqft)

Below is one of the videos they had on their homepage.

makemerush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're spending 25K+ on a car, why would you cheap out on this? Roofing materials are made for a roof and generally carcinogenic, which is besides the smell.

Amazon has Dynamat for cheap ($235 & free shipping for the xtreme bulk pack)

Menissalt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If you're spending 25K+ on a car, why would you cheap out on this? Roofing materials are made for a roof and generally carcinogenic, which is besides the smell.

Amazon has Dynamat for cheap ($235 & free shipping for the xtreme bulk pack)
I'm seeing it for $151 with free 2 day shipping.

http://amzn.com/B00020CB2S

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did seal'n'peel to my entire WRX and it's been awesome. Odor was faint, but there, for the first 2 weeks. I left it in the garage with the windows down for that entire time. Made a huge difference on my sound system, but the reason I did it was for a quieter cabin and to stop some rattles. It made a very large difference on how quiet the ride was, but I also installed 1/2" closed cell foam under the carpet for some added noise suppression. I plan on doing this to the Civic because of how well it went and how cheap it was to do.
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound dampening 188878_10150122613482983_5244034_n
Honda Civic 10th gen Sound dampening 192688_10150122606767983_4232149_o

civicxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring - White
Country flag
That looks impressive Snoopy, how long did that take you? I really like the Noico Bworks3 recommenced, I ordered it through Amazon and it has done a great job of sound deadening my trunk and rear speakers. I just ordered another pack and plan on doing the rest of my trunk and my doors.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Didn't take very long honestly. Doors maybe 20-30mins total, including pulling the panel. Stripping the interior and doing the floor took me a few days, but I was doing other things too. 4 Channel Amp, 8ga wire to all 4 speakers, new component speakers on all 4 doors, and remote start+proximity alarm. Goals for the Civic are window tint, plasti-dip, and rims as soon as spring hits.

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to the understanding of sound dampening in vehicles so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

What's the benefit from adding sound dampeners to the vehicle? Is it more for blocking out road/outside noise, or more for a cleaner/less rattle for the sound system?

I ask because while many people mention that the new Civic is very quiet, I happen to disagree. I still hear plenty of wind noise or road/outside noise, and if adding sound dampeners to the vehicle would help, I'm all for it - though my knowledge of tearing the vehicle apart to lay them down is going to be way out of my capabilities. Trunk, yes. Doors, maybe? Interior floors, I would probably break something trying :(

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm new to the understanding of sound dampening in vehicles so I apologize if this is a stupid question.
What's the benefit from adding sound dampeners to the vehicle? Is it more for blocking out road/outside noise, or more for a cleaner/less rattle for the sound system?

I ask because while many people mention that the new Civic is very quiet, I happen to disagree. I still hear plenty of wind noise or road/outside noise, and if adding sound dampeners to the vehicle would help, I'm all for it - though my knowledge of tearing the vehicle apart to lay them down is going to be way out of my capabilities. Trunk, yes. Doors, maybe? Interior floors, I would probably break something trying :(
There are several benefits that I've found. When I first did this to my WRX, my only goal was to quiet the cabin down. I had so much road and tire noise in the car, you couldn't hear the radio unless you turned it up pretty good. When the job was finished I was surprised to find there was more benefits than just quiet. My doors felt more solid. No more rattles and when I shut the door it was a solid *thump* sound. The cabin holds its temperature much better now. Heat in the winter is run it on high for a few mins, then basically shut it off. The sound dampening took away a lot of the thermal radiation from the body. Another pleasant surprise was my sound system (when I finished just the doors). I had so much low/mid-range sound coming out of the doors, I almost didn't need to install my sub-woofer. Lastly was my initial goal. My numbers could be off (it's been a long time), but I believe I went from 91db on the expressway to 73db.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sound dampening upload_2016-2-29_6-51-42

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info! I'd definitely like to try something like this to my Civic at some point. Minor sound dampening to areas I'm able to do myself. I think for now I'll tackle the trunk, and possibly the doors once I get enough knowledge of tearing that area apart :)

There are several benefits that I've found. When I first did this to my WRX, my only goal was to quiet the cabin down. I had so much road and tire noise in the car, you couldn't hear the radio unless you turned it up pretty good. When the job was finished I was surprised to find there was more benefits than just quiet. My doors felt more solid. No more rattles and when I shut the door it was a solid *thump* sound. The cabin holds its temperature much better now. Heat in the winter is run it on high for a few mins, then basically shut it off. The sound dampening took away a lot of the thermal radiation from the body. Another pleasant surprise was my sound system (when I finished just the doors). I had so much low/mid-range sound coming out of the doors, I almost didn't need to install my sub-woofer. Lastly was my initial goal. My numbers could be off (it's been a long time), but I believe I went from 91db on the expressway to 73db.

upload_2016-2-29_6-51-42.png

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may do this to my Civic as well. Once the weather gets warm and dry. I'm not sure how important it is but I didn't want to chance it. I made sure it was not very humid and I didn't leave any air pockets under the seal'n'peel. I didn't want moisture to be trapped in there and eventually cause corrosion and rust. I cleaned everything really good with denatured alcohol before I applied the seal'n'peel also. If I do my Civic, I'll document it and post a write up on it.

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
@timothyjay, You can do it!

I'm starting to think once I get over hating my car for all the infotainment issues that are annoying as heck when present, and give me the "are they going to come back now" fear when absent, and when I am sure I don't have to keep pulling the battery's negative to "reset the computer for the transmission" and such, I may do this.

If I do it before then, I'll have invested even more into a car that could be great, but really... isn't at all, and isn't worth the effort.

Come on, Honda... let's put out some worthy TSBs!

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I think realistically what I'd be happy with is just dampening the trunk where the subwoofer is and maybe the door (like you mentioned, giving it a better low in the sound). My main reasoning for wanting to do this is to be happy with the sound of the Touring's sound system which was one of the "must have" on my list when I bought my car. The added lessening of outside noise and possibly quieter cabin (with the doors being done) would be a bonus. I'm not sure if it's the oem Tires on the Civic (Firestone FT 140) that's making the noise irritating (or a combination of both), but that's something I'd like to try!

I may do this to my Civic as well. Once the weather gets warm and dry. I'm not sure how important it is but I didn't want to chance it. I made sure it was not very humid and I didn't leave any air pockets under the seal'n'peel. I didn't want moisture to be trapped in there and eventually cause corrosion and rust. I cleaned everything really good with denatured alcohol before I applied the seal'n'peel also. If I do my Civic, I'll document it and post a write up on it.
Thanks for the confidence @david1pro! Lol. At some point, I think I need to stop making modifications or additions to my car and just enjoy it. Maybe it's the initial period of getting a new car that I have to accessorize, buy detailing products (I need to stop with this btw) and making sure my car is pristine daily, but I just need to enjoy it.

I may not be utilizing my infotainment as much, because the only issue I have is when I use bluetooth as an audio source, that every now and then music would drop and I either have to turn off the system or disable a few things.

@timothyjay, You can do it!

I'm starting to think once I get over hating my car for all the infotainment issues that are annoying as heck when present, and give me the "are they going to come back now" fear when absent, and when I am sure I don't have to keep pulling the battery's negative to "reset the computer for the transmission" and such, I may do this.

If I do it before then, I'll have invested even more into a car that could be great, but really... isn't at all, and isn't worth the effort.

Come on, Honda... let's put out some worthy TSBs!
Sponsored