amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
These parts are probably painted at totally separate times and places. The fact that you can order painted parts from honda can explain this. Maybe this part was painted with a slightly off color than the rest of the car, essentailly its not paint matched exactly. I have a rallye red and don't notice any difference, probably cause its an easier color to paint match besides black and there are no pearls in the red and the SGP has pearls for days. I also have my entire car cermic coated which probably help if there is any fading.
perhaps take it to honda and maybe they will get you a new one and if you do wrap it or coat it with something.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2004 TW EP3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I asked my local dealer about the hood scoop discoloration on SGP CTRs, they inquired internally but no one had a clue what the problem was, if there even was a problem. They mentioned that they have only ever seen one CTR in SGP over the years and have never received any complaints about hood scoop discoloration, so they don't really know what the course of action is.

I've looked at many other pics of SGP CTRs since and it's far more common that I thought...

Maybe everyone just accepts it? Not sure what the deal is to be honest. If other with SGPs could give their 2 cents, it would be much appreciated.

Krisis52

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR Sonic Gray Pearl
Country flag
Mines brand new and looks like it was sprayed at a different direction causing it to appear like a different color in various lights was like that from day one. Remember having the same weird issues on a 2001 navy blue metallic trans am. I wasn't really worried about it.

Added a picture of the difference you can see the pearl is more prevalent on the scoop vs the hood at that angel with the light.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? IMG_20200717_140651

Last edited:

bolis_fk8

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP FK8
Country flag
amurciano hit the nail on the head. These pieces (amongst many others) are painted separately at a different facility. Most of the odds and ends are painted and brought into the line for assembly where as the chassis is sprayed in one shot during the process.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? 20200718_184811

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It happened to me...does anyone know what honda can do about this? I see a difference in hood scoop color and hood

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Painted part typically has discoloration especially on those made from different materials.

The static makes the paint flakes sit on the surface in different ways, and it depends on the way things are laid when get painted as well.

The hood scoop, like many have pointed out, is made from ABS and surrounded the the aluminium painted hood. The angle and different materials make it pops up more. You will notice the same discoloration when you look at the bumper covers and the rear upper licence plate garnish.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
Its just the paint. Me and my buds who all had /have Rs the scoops were off in color on all our cars. Differerent material and all. The scoops paint seperate as if you take the scoop off where it sits under hood is painted. So with all the variables and pearl/ flakes in paint its gonna reflect light different.

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I have a new 2019, and it's a slightly different shade. Doesn't bug me. I may wrap my roof in gloss black. The scoop would look cool wrapped too.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Unless panels are painted at exactly the same time it difficult to color match to exactly the same color. I personally have painted cars and came across the same situation. But, like others have stated, different materials and painting at different times plays into factor. On my SGP I can even notice the different shades throughout different panels on the car. A lot of it also has to do with the different angles of the car and the way the light reflects off that specific metallic painted part.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I decided F it got gonna make a huge fuss

amurciano

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R FK8
Country flag
Yeah I decided F it got gonna make a huge fuss
Yeah I won;t go to honda unless it looks really bad in terms of fading earlier than expected or something like that. Worst case you can order a new part from Honda for like 160 and hope that it matches better, and then you can PPF it to prevent any fading or coat it if you didn't already. Or just wrap your existing one in a color you want like black or maybe even red, or order a new one from honda in the color you want. I wanted black mirror caps on my RED fk8, so I ordered new parts from honda for like 30 a cap which was so cheap for a painted part OEM.

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2004 TW EP3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, I guess it really is the paint and we all happened to buy the color that makes it really obvious. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? Screenshot_20200723-135228__01

Found this pic by ttorres1183 on Instagram, highlights the same paint disparity issue but between the rear bumper and fender.

I guess this is a fair warning to people looking to buy Sonic Gray Pearl Hondas; know what you're buying.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes I noticed the same between pretty much all my panels. Especially anything plastic to metal. It's still a great color. Wondering if paint correction might help but I have accepted it for what it is. BTW the difference only shows in different lighting, like bright light. In low light I don't notice it as much.
Sponsored