Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2004 TW EP3
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey guys,

The hood scoop on my 2019 SGP CTR is fading a strange, flatter blue than the rest of the car. Anyone else having the same issue?

Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? IMG_20200702_201113__01
Sponsored

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's likely because its a different material than the hood that surrounds it.. this happens fairly often between things of varying materials. though i wouldn't expect it to happen this quickly. For refrence, check out every single gold late 90's Toyota Camry

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
That's likely because its a different material than the hood that surrounds it.. this happens fairly often between things of varying materials. though i wouldn't expect it to happen this quickly. For refrence, check out every single gold late 90's Toyota Camry

I also happen to have a Gold 2000 Camry and I know exactly what you mean. Half the parts have faded to a shade of purple.

I would agree with you, HOWEVER, my civic is 1 year old vs 20 years for the Camry. Not sure it's really possible to age that fast unless it's a defect.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i totally agree with that, it should not fade this fast, however with all the movement to save weight and cost cutting - I'm sure the thinner paint of today is also playing its evil hand and it might be so thin its fading faster than older cars would. I would certainly get it looked at and see if you could get a replacement under warranty or something, cause one year is ridiculous. i would also suspect that part was painted seperately and not on the car when the hood was painted, they usually are. times of year, temperature, and location painted also have small differences between paint results too.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Maybe my eyes aren't that good, but i don't see it

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks more noticeable in the center- might be something with lighting? It's not a huge difference.

Just wondering- did you have any type of PPF applied? Maybe they forgot to do the scoop? Doesn't make it any better but might explain it?

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Maybe my eyes aren't that good, but i don't see it
Here's a few better pics. It's MUCH more noticable in person, I was not able to get good lighting right now for the pics.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? IMG_20200715_083531

Honda Civic 10th gen Sonic Gray Pearl hood scoop fade? IMG_20200715_083604

It looks more noticeable in the center- might be something with lighting? It's not a huge difference.

Just wondering- did you have any type of PPF applied? Maybe they forgot to do the scoop? Doesn't make it any better but might explain it?
No ppf on the car.

Heading to the dealer today to ask em whats going on and what should be done. I'll keep this thread updated.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Yeah i see it now....Makes me concerned myself as i have a SGP. I wonder if all of us eventually are going to have this problem.

OP
OP
sobabe

sobabe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Yeah i see it now....Makes me concerned myself as i have a SGP. I wonder if all of us eventually are going to have this problem.
Tried to find another thread that discussed the same problem, couldn't find a single one. Guess I got a rare defect.

I see it....you could wrap it in cf :)
Trying to keep the entire body stock. If I was 16 again I'd do it ?

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

FK8all

First Name
L
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Mine has the same 'discoloration' but I never really thought much of it. I noticed it at around 500 on the odometer. Garage Queen & PPF'd.

Most likely from the factory and you're noticing it now as opposed to it fading? Maybe if other SGP owners could chime in.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
My ABM has a similar issue maybe? My scoop isn't faded, but it has a different look than the rest of the hood. You can tell it was painted separately from the car. The metallics have a different look. They don't react to light the same as the hood. For example the hood was painted vertically and the scoop horizontally...know what I mean? Hard to explain, but maybe what is happening here?