Sometimes slow to accelerate..

mymonkeyballs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Coupe 2018
Country flag
Hey guys on the 1.5 turbo coupe i notice that it is sometimes slower to accelerate than other times, very noticeable.
I do not have econ mode turned on and it lasts for the entire duration of the trip. Other times when i turn it on it goes quick as it's supposed to, but others it really struggles.
It seems to random whether or not it'll go as normal or slower.
The turbo turbo gauge would be near the top and going slower than about halfway when it's working normally.
Anyone else have the same issue ?
Sponsored

EtherealAegis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Burgundy Night Pearl Touring
The turbo turbo gauge would be near the top and going slower than about halfway when it's working normally.
This doesnt really make sense to me. Would you please either elaborate or reiterate?

When does this behavior occur? (from a full stop, already in motion, etc.)

OP
OP

mymonkeyballs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Coupe 2018
Country flag
This doesnt really make sense to me. Would you please either elaborate or reiterate?

When does this behavior occur? (from a full stop, already in motion, etc.)
On the screen behind the steering wheel i have it set to show me how much of the turbo i'm using indicated by blue bars (about 10-15 of them)

I can definitely tell most from a full stop or whenever i accelerate quickly (going onto an on ramp)

When the car is behaving slowly, the blue turbo bars would be near the top (meaning its utilizing almost all of it) and still be going relatively slow.
When the car is behaving as normal, the turbo bars would be about 1/2 full and go a lot faster than virtually full bars when it's behaving slowly.

I hope that clarifies my problem.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
On the screen behind the steering wheel i have it set to show me how much of the turbo i'm using indicated by blue bars (about 10-15 of them)

I can definitely tell most from a full stop or whenever i accelerate quickly (going onto an on ramp)

When the car is behaving slowly, the blue turbo bars would be near the top (meaning its utilizing almost all of it) and still be going relatively slow.
When the car is behaving as normal, the turbo bars would be about 1/2 full and go a lot faster than virtually full bars when it's behaving slowly.

I hope that clarifies my problem.
So this happens pretty often? I would take it in and have Honda check it out.

carlson03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2017 EXL Pilot AWD Sensing
Yes about 7/10 times its 'slow'

Now that I think of it, would a sub in the back have anything to do with it?
Not sure, you can always disconnect it and try running around for a few days

kyr0sis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Hey guys on the 1.5 turbo coupe i notice that it is sometimes slower to accelerate than other times, very noticeable.
I do not have econ mode turned on and it lasts for the entire duration of the trip. Other times when i turn it on it goes quick as it's supposed to, but others it really struggles.
It seems to random whether or not it'll go as normal or slower.
Anyone else have the same issue ?

It's because you have the slip resist or anti slip resist on its on by default, what happens is it monitors ur acceleration speed so that your tires don't slip therefore preventing you from just flooring it from complete stop. I found this out in a snow storm in February after I bought my touring I got stuck and couldn't understand why she wouldn't move, turned off the slip assist and worked perfectly. If you want an extra burst of speed I usually but her in the S mode which is speed mode and then slip assist off. Let me know how it goes! Also the button is to the left of your steering wheel there's a little panel the icon looks like a car slipping with tire tracks behind it. Just hold until you hear a beep and it should say it's turned off

BlueTouringNY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic touring
There are times when the turbo seems less powerful on hot days. Not by much but just not as sharp which I chalk up to intercooler inefficiency. That is to say it really doesn't cool the air as if it were on a nice chilly day. Results are that there are not a lot of jam-packed cool compression of the molecules. Just saying.

OP
OP

mymonkeyballs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Coupe 2018
Country flag
It's because you have the slip resist or anti slip resist on its on by default, what happens is it monitors ur acceleration speed so that your tires don't slip therefore preventing you from just flooring it from complete stop. I found this out in a snow storm in February after I bought my touring I got stuck and couldn't understand why she wouldn't move, turned off the slip assist and worked perfectly. If you want an extra burst of speed I usually but her in the S mode which is speed mode and then slip assist off. Let me know how it goes! Also the button is to the left of your steering wheel there's a little panel the icon looks like a car slipping with tire tracks behind it. Just hold until you hear a beep and it should say it's turned off
Thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense.
Cant wait to try this out after work, its been bothering me quite a bit!
I'll update in about 3 hours..

OP
OP

mymonkeyballs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Coupe 2018
Country flag
There are times when the turbo seems less powerful on hot days. Not by much but just not as sharp which I chalk up to intercooler inefficiency. That is to say it really doesn't cool the air as if it were on a nice chilly day. Results are that there are not a lot of jam-packed cool compression of the molecules. Just saying.
I think that may be contributing to it, thought today I did try turning off the A/C for a bit and didnt notice much if any difference.

kyr0sis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Thanks for the suggestion, it makes sense.
Cant wait to try this out after work, its been bothering me quite a bit!
I'll update in about 3 hours..
Ok perfect! Yes please let me know I'm interested to know if that's the issue or not! I know it was for me and I couldn't understand why she would go fast sometimes and not others but after some experimenting I found it was the stability assist. It turns itself on after every time you turn off and on your car though, you have to disable it from turning on automatically in the options but I've been too lazy to figure out how to do it yet lol

OP
OP

mymonkeyballs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Coupe 2018
Country flag
Ok perfect! Yes please let me know I'm interested to know if that's the issue or not! I know it was for me and I couldn't understand why she would go fast sometimes and not others but after some experimenting I found it was the stability assist. It turns itself on after every time you turn off and on your car though, you have to disable it from turning on automatically in the options but I've been too lazy to figure out how to do it yet lol
I'm excited to give this a shot soon!!

Is it somewhat dangerous to have it turned off in dry conditions?
I mean I would probably leave it on in rain and snow..
Also did you notice much of a drain in fuel driving in S over D ?
Sponsored