Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Back in '17 when I bought my non-Si turbo sedan, I thought it was a great overall car that just needed a few tweaks. My tune gave it plenty of power and my cosmetic mods gave it my style. The handling on this 10th gen was pretty good even on the non-Si's. But it needed a bit more.

One thing that really bugged me was the little bit of weeble wobble I felt in the front end on quick lane changes. I knew the fix for that. An Ultra Racing solid front strut bar. I've since changed to the solid DC Sports bar but the effect is the same. A nice solid front end feel on twitchy moves. The side benefit is the front end feels more solid over bumps and dips too.

The other issue was too much body roll. The obvious fix? A beefier rear sway bar. I finally installed the OEM Si rsb and it has noticeably improved the feel in corners. The car is much flatter in the twisties now.

The other upgrade I knew the car needed was decent tires. The stock Firestones are fair at best. I recently bought new 18" wheels with Conti DWS06 tires that should really put my car at a perfect place for my driving style. I'm waiting til we get through this winter to mount them because my Firestones have tons of tread left.

So here's the point. I bought an EX-L because I wanted leather and a power driver's seat. I've got plenty of other nice features too.

Adding a tune ($500), a solid front strut bar ($100), the OEM Si RSB ($80) and good tires ($600) is about a $1300 investment. For that $$, I have a car the has all the features I wanted, is noticeably faster than a stock Si and handles pretty darn well.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You finally found someone to install the RSB?! That's great!!

I just did my RSB upgrade last week, what a diffference.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah a Honda dealer actually.

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Glad you got the RSB done and enjoying it.

Feddy_Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Back in '17 when I bought my non-Si turbo sedan, I thought it was a great overall car that just needed a few tweaks. My tune gave it plenty of power and my cosmetic mods gave it my style. The handling on this 10th gen was pretty good even on the non-Si's. But it needed a bit more.

One thing that really bugged me was the little bit of weeble wobble I felt in the front end on quick lane changes. I knew the fix for that. An Ultra Racing solid front strut bar. I've since changed to the solid DC Sports bar but the effect is the same. A nice solid front end feel on twitchy moves. The side benefit is the front end feels more solid over bumps and dips too.

The other issue was too much body roll. The obvious fix? A beefier rear sway bar. I finally installed the OEM Si rsb and it has noticeably improved the feel in corners. The car is much flatter in the twisties now.

The other upgrade I knew the car needed was decent tires. The stock Firestones are fair at best. I recently bought new 18" wheels with Conti DWS06 tires that should really put my car at a perfect place for my driving style. I'm waiting til we get through this winter to mount them because my Firestones have tons of tread left.

So here's the point. I bought an EX-L because I wanted leather and a power driver's seat. I've got plenty of other nice features too.

Adding a tune ($500), a solid front strut bar ($100), the OEM Si RSB ($80) and good tires ($600) is about a $1300 investment. For that $$, I have a car the has all the features I wanted, is noticeably faster than a stock Si and handles pretty darn well.
I agree with all this here. I feel like the Civic really just needs marginal upgrades. The stock suspension/chassis are so, so good once you firm things up a little. It’s perfect for daily driving and more than capable for spirited driving. I’m honestly shocked at how hard you can push them on a mostly stock setup. I’ve put my car though the ringer on some extreme mountain and canyon drives. She’s yet to disappoint. I still feel like a lot of people outside the community really don’t grasp what the car can do.

Zodd

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic sport 1.5t 2018
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i still have all the stock swaybars i dont really intent to change them, but going for better tires and coilovers made a massive diffrence for me... i am lowered a little more than 2 inches and springs are almost 3 times stiffer, and car rides like a dream through corners... love it i am always surprised how well those economy cars drive :)

Rone811

First Name
Rone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag

Where can I see a pic of your car? all i ever see is that dc strut bar and your engine bay lol

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference 120276496_431858714457273_2270315875309441242_n

just bought a perrin strut bar, rear eibach sway bar and some michelin pilot sport a/s 3+
i know you don't approve of the strut bar but its red! LOL

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Where can I see a pic of your car? all i ever see is that dc strut bar and your engine bay lol
All over the board, pretty much... ;)

Here's some pics of my car and a sneak peak at a couple upcoming cosmetic mods:

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference tip4

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference grille1

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference int2s.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference pillars2

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference 20200612_121739-01-01

Honda Civic 10th gen Sometimes it's just the little things that make a big difference IMG_227d2.JPG

Last edited:

sventhecivic

First Name
Gaetano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
20200612_121739-01-01.jpeg

I am so excited for your upcoming mods, and am GRATEFUL for the initial advice on the sway bar upgrades. Haven't done them yet myself, but they're definitely next. More importantly, what are those wheels? They're beautiful.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When you have the upgraded tires on, try to test again with and without the strut tower bar. I've learned to hate tower bars for the most part, this chassis is stiff enough. The slight extra bit of compliance makes the breakaway behavior more progressive from my experience.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When you have the upgraded tires on, try to test again with and without the strut tower bar. I've learned to hate tower bars for the most part, this chassis is stiff enough. The slight extra bit of compliance makes the breakaway behavior more progressive from my experience.
I've used front strut bars on all the cars I've owned for nearly 20 years. Always solid one piece. I like the more solid feel up front and the slightly better steering response. Mostly I like the higher stability I get in quick lane change moves.

I think a lot of people tend to expect bigger handing improvements but they are effective, espectially at 7/10ths+. And I'm using them on the street, not racing, so maybe my perspective is different.

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've used front strut bars on all the cars I've owned for nearly 20 years. Always solid one piece. I like the more solid feel up front and the slightly better steering response. Mostly I like the higher stability I get in quick lane change moves.
You can get the stable feel without losing front grip by bracing up the center tunnel/floor of the car, from front subframe to rear subframe. It's the same concept (limit chassis flex to reduce response time) except you're tying the whole chassis tighter together, so it helps make the rear more predictable as well as it follows the front end.

Many ways to skin the cat...

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm happy with the balance adding the bigger rear sway bar gives me now (along with the fsb). Again, I'm just daily driving to and from work. Don't do track or autoX. Plus who doesn't love a little underhood bling. :cool:

Once I install the DWS06's I'm set as far as handling upgrades. My build isn't meant to be anything more than an everyday commuter.

That, combined with my tune (and my cosmetic mods), makes this a car that puts a smile on my face. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

Also just to add, while underbody braces tie things together there, a solid front strut bar does something else. By reducing strut tower flex, it helps keep optimal front suspension geometry under load which I find helps with steering feel.

Last edited:

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Come up to Toronto, and have a go in mine!

Full Whiteline and Ultra Racing catalog, it's a riot ?

DSC_0784.JPG
I see you've got the Whiteline ALK & RMM on there. Any impressions on NVH from both of them? I'm wanting to be very conservative with the RMM, thinking CTR + Whiteline insert. But the ALK in particular is a big point of curiosity for me.