Something positive - I love this car and its 3 personalities!

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Just playing around on the highway. I love how different this car feels between comfort and Sport. This topic probably has been done to death, but I'm curious as I havent played with +R mode yet. What does +R give you in terms of feel and suspension? Anybody on here drive on +R all the time?

Man this car really opens up in Sport though Honda got it right!!
Sponsored

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On pre 2020 models, +R stiffens up the suspension a good amount to where I wouldn’t use it on less than smooth roads. It also boosts the steering feel and the rev match assist is more aggressive and nearly instantaneous.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Just playing around on the highway. I love how different this car feels between comfort and Sport. This topic probably has been done to death, but I'm curious as I havent played with +R mode yet. What does +R give you in terms of feel and suspension? Anybody on here drive on +R all the time?

I was told not to always drive in “R mode.” This will cause the inner tire portion to wear out faster. I always drive in sport mode. I read about only using R for spirit driving or track. I don’t use comfort mode much.

ManEatingPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I was told not to always drive in “R mode.” This will cause the inner tire portion to wear out faster. I always drive in sport mode. I read about only using R for spirit driving or track. I don’t use comfort mode much.
Got a source for this? I am really curious since I drive in R mode a lot. I personally like the heavier and directed feel of the steering in R mode. I swapped out to 18" wheels so ride comfort isn't an issue for me with the stiffer suspension.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
When I was first learning the car I always used R mode, but I've found as time has gone on and I understand the car better, I prefer comfort in almost every way.

It feels more predictable, pedal and wheel modulation is easier, the suspension isn't as firm, but even on the track this year I've run comfort mode almost exclusively.

The old race adage about driving like you have an egg under your pedal is much easier to make happen in comfort than R.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

+R simply stiffens the suspension and steering feel (reduces the power steering). I mainly use it if I want to limit body roll if sport isn’t sufficient.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I’d need a source for that one, a trustable one too. You’d have to physically change the camber/alignment for that to happen. +R doesn’t change the ride height, just the dampening in the shocks.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I drive in R+ all the time - it's lots of fun - then switch to Comfort for bumpier streets / sometimes sport just for a change. Love them all but don't be afraid of R+ that's where the car feels the best to me and you do no harm running in it all the time.

Jimmyjambo_fk8

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Got a source for this? I am really curious since I drive in R mode a lot. I personally like the heavier and directed feel of the steering in R mode. I swapped out to 18" wheels so ride comfort isn't an issue for me with the stiffer suspension.
I actually was watching videos on YouTube. I don’t recall the channel, but you should be able to find it. I recall looking for information about tires and suspension, which is when I came across it.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is the first I hear if this. I only drive in R mode and never had any issues...

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
This is the first I hear if this. I only drive in R mode and never had any issues...
Same - and tire wear was shockingly consistent end to end when I replaced the fronts on mine.

MisterC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Neon SRT4, 2014 Hyundai Elantra, 2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Must be fake news then.
I think it's probably due to how the camber and ultra low profile eats the stock tires for breakfast, with even a little spirited driving, within 8000 miles especially at the front.

The inner block of tread will be completely shredded normally, mine was showing wire at 8k and that's typical. It's easy to see that and think, well I've been in R mode a lot since I got the car, must be the agressive (whatever they heard the setting does)

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I find the steering too heavy in R mode for normal driving. it’s fine for a backroad rip, but annoying in town. Comfort is nice on the highway, but I wish it didn’t deaden the throttle so much. It’s been mentioned in reviews of the car, but I would have appreciated a customized mode. Throttle response from +R, dampers from Sport, and steering from Comfort would be perfect for me. I’d probably never change it.

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I used to avoid +R mode because I thought the steering was too heavy for day-to-day. Then I started using it for a few weeks because I was bored, and now I can't go back. The steering is SO FRIKKIN' PRECISE! Yes, it's heavier to make a turn, but you also don't have to turn the wheel very far at all to make your moves. It's great, and I am enjoying daily usage of the car with the high precision steering.
Sponsored