Something finally broke

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
Just had my 3rd oil change at 15k, go to pick it up and the guys tell me I need to go to the dealer because she's leaking coolant.

:eek::eek::eek:

I'm losing my mind as soon as he tells me, I'm thinking oil dilution, A/C, pick a gasket, hole in the radiator.

Came home, flashed to stock, drove til the lights went away, went to the dealership and waited 15 minutes for them to inspect it, they walk me to the back and tell me it is NOT a coolant leak, the carrier bearing on the passenger axle failed and the grease in the bearing was liquefying and slinging.

I have no idea how that failed ???

The put me in an ELite Pilot, which by the way is very f'n nice, makes me want a passport. Said it should be fixed later today ?
Sponsored

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
The bearing for the intermediate shaft on the passenger side is exposed to only small amounts of torque, since it's mostly just a pass-through to the axle and hub.

OP
OP
Tanuktun

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
The bearing for the intermediate shaft on the passenger side is exposed to only small amounts of torque, since it's mostly just a pass-through to the axle and hub.

That worries me more then since It's failing at 15k

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
That worries me more then since It's failing at 15k
A defective part is a defective part. I doubt having a tune caused that bearing to fail if it otherwise was not defective due to the low amount of torque it receives.

OP
OP
Tanuktun

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
A defective part is a defective part. I doubt having a tune caused that bearing to fail if it otherwise was not defective due to the low amount of torque it receives.

Guess i'll just be happy i dont have to pay anything and its being fixed lol

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
it happens I've seen those carrier bearings fail at work on the fords we work on and no tunes on these cars just a whatever design. Not the end of the world and quite honestly even out of warranty not the hardest job to do. Just a lot easier to do on a lift

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's pretty scary to me that the guys got a coolant leak confused with grease.....no matter how liquified the grease became. I'd be avoiding that shop in the future.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
it happens I've seen those carrier bearings fail at work on the fords we work on and no tunes on these cars just a whatever design. Not the end of the world and quite honestly even out of warranty not the hardest job to do. Just a lot easier to do on a lift
I wonder if they are going to replace just the bearing and seals or the entire intermediate shaft?

For some reason the intermediate shaft assembly costs almost twice as much as an axle.

OP
OP
Tanuktun

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
It's gonna to know that its nothing I did and the showed me what the problem was, i just never heard of it.

And idk about other dealers but they did this whole text message video inspection thing, that they are apparently going to make the norm

OP
OP
Tanuktun

Tanuktun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Ex Hatchback
Country flag
It's pretty scary to me that the guys got a coolant leak confused with grease.....no matter how liquified the grease became. I'd be avoiding that shop in the future.

part of what i was thinking because when you think coolant, you think green. i didn't know and im sure those guys didn't know, hondas is blue apparently. but they showed me where it was collecting at, at the dealership and i could understand the confusion, it was dirty green collection of fluid.

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I wonder if they are going to replace just the bearing and seals or the entire intermediate shaft?

For some reason the intermediate shaft assembly costs almost twice as much as an axle.
my guess is just the bearing if the shaft isn't damaged and leaking they wont bother touching the half shaft

Mikeybc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-T, 2015 Nissan Murano
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
part of what i was thinking because when you think coolant, you think green. i didn't know and im sure those guys didn't know, hondas is blue apparently. but they showed me where it was collecting at, at the dealership and i could understand the confusion, it was dirty green collection of fluid.
ahhh I see, First thing I do on a suspected coolant leak is taste it......unmistakeable.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Checked the forums as I have seen this a few times as well on other models and just kind of disregarded it. There is no grease in the bearing or seal for it to fail. Other techs are thinking is an internal leak of the passenger side inner cv joint, cv grease leaking past the cup into the splines (skeptical of this imho, its a sealed cup unit) or what i think may be more accurate is that during assembly a small amount of cv/moly grease is applied to the splines of the intermediate shaft, this could just be excessive grease leaking out and nothing more. Someone at the plant getting too wild with the lube.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Something finally broke 1596081442339
Sponsored