Someone took my car away from me today (I NEED HELP)

OP
OP

Gagerr

Energy green ;)
First Name
Gage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From the facts listed:
Collision on passenger side of vehicle with second vehicle's driver side rear means that you observed the other vehicle long enough to avoid the situation.
Since the second vehicle was in front, then your vehicle speed would have needed to be travelling at a higher speed than that of the second vehicle.
With multiple vehicle accidents, "at fault" is determined from facts from all the vehicles involved. Without the presence of the second vehicle, the authorities won't determine fault. Insurance will likely treat this as a "hit and run"; which is what it really is.
Long enough to avoid? More like long enough to make less bad. They literally pulled in front of me and nearly stopped. There was traffic oncoming or else I would have just went into oncoming. I knew there was a car to my right because I saw her right before approaching the light.
The collision was probably 25 mph because I was going like 35 and they were going probably 5-10.
Sponsored

Overeazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch *Sold*
Country flag
I believe fleeing the scene of an accident is an admission of guilt in most states. You can get the police report from the station and see what it says. If you need more help try getting a lawyer consult.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Yes a selfish person. I'm dealing with a loss and the 2019 Sentra rental is garbage
You need the NISMO trim with the 188 hp 1.6T.

kwk1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic LX Sedan CVT white
Country flag
All 50 states have allowed right turns on red since 1980, except where prohibited by a sign or where right turns are controlled by dedicated traffic lights. The few exceptions include New York City where right turns on red are prohibited, unless a sign indicates otherwise. The turn on red is made (almost always after a complete stop), and when the way is clear.

Running an amber is not an offense. If the light was in fact amber for the OP, then it was red for the other driver. Being that the other driver took off, it seems kinda sketchy. Could be they knew they were in the wrong, drunk, no insurance, warrants, etc.

I also second the idea about getting a dashcam. It takes the guesswork out of what exactly happened in an incident. A decent one isn't all that expensive, and could pay for itself in one instance like this.
Agreed, I'm in Canada and you can turn right on a red as long as there is no sign saying otherwise.
Just because it's legal, it doesn't give you the right of way.

rezlab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Civic Si
Country flag
Really doesn’t matter who was at fault here. The other driver ran off, so your insurance company is going to be paying for the repairs either way. They will probably be able to repair the damage, not total. The biggest question is going to be IF your insurance rates increase, how much, and for how long.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So here's the situation: I was on my way to work, passing through an intersection. My light turns yellow just as I enter the 4 way going no more than 35 mph (This is a 2 lane each way road and I am in the "Fast-lane" or the "left lane"). Out of nowhere, a gray (maybe corolla?) is turning right on red, turning SUPER wide, ALL THE WAY into the left lane, where I also am. This car also decided to go a whopping 5 mph after they got into my lane.

My front right hits their back left.

I trail behind them, maybe 2 car lengths, both going ~5 mph until they stop, and I also stop. Maybe 15 secs pass until I turn on my blinker, and turn into a strip mall directly to our right.

HERE'S THE STICKY SITUATION:

1: I pull into a parking spot, pull out my phone and call my dad.
2: Quickly check damage, see inter-cooler busted in, quickly shut off car
3: Other car STILL sitting in the middle of the road.
4: I turn around to look at damage again, look back, and they're not there anymore.
5: I see a woman approaching, I think it is her that I hit, so I ask if she's fine. It wasn't her. She was driving a cooper S behind me in the right lane when we hit. (Witness, she talked to police and insurance have her number)
6: Called police and insurance, Other car never returned. Never got license plate # or anything.

Long story short: Someone turned right on red while I was going through an intersection where I had the right of way and they should have yielded to me and I rear-ended them. They then drove off, fleeing the scene. WILL I BE AT FAULT?
Seems like an obvious answer but people at work are saying it doesn't matter because I rear ended them, saying I would be the one at fault because of this.

DAMAGE REPORT (Major things I saw / speculate)
Both front fenders
Chipped paint on doors from fenders
Hood
Front bash bar
Fog light bezels
Headlights
Grill
Bumper
Inter-cooler, speculated radiator + piping for both+
Hood latch
Maybe a-pillars?
(This was just all the visible damage, there's probably a decent amount more.)

Drive-train seems fine, although there were CEL codes for hill-start, brake system, emissions (why?), etc.

What do you guys think the chances of the insurance totaling the car? And who do you believe they will declare at fault?
3VAvdeT.jpg
The single most important thing is get any available footage, so the hit and run driver can be located. Glad you have a witness. But someone will still pay for this, and it should not be you, given the other party left the scene. They were probably drunk, stoned, without insurance, in a stolen car (okay they didn't exactly 'drive it like they stole it'), etc. As for future driving tips, no smugness is called for from others who were not there. I have a clean driving record for the last five years - but I have made my mistakes in the past, too, and one thing that sunk in is to be ready to think and brake for those who can't avoid screwing up - right in front of you. Hopefully you are okay. Cars are replaceable. You are a one-off custom job.

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
Sorry.
Normally if you are going to get a ticket such as rear ended a car it would have been issued at the scene.
Don't beat your self up over not having a dash cam. Yes, it would have recorded it all and got the plates. But if the car is stolen, no insurance, or other issues you are no better off. I have one from https://www.blackboxmycar.com Just in case someone swerves out of there lane texting. Then it comes down to he said she said. And I am not sure if the police or courts would care about the footage. I am sure the insurance company would be interested.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Long enough to avoid? More like long enough to make less bad. They literally pulled in front of me and nearly stopped. There was traffic oncoming or else I would have just went into oncoming. I knew there was a car to my right because I saw her right before approaching the light.
The collision was probably 25 mph because I was going like 35 and they were going probably 5-10.
Yeah I think you’re good especially with the witness but let us know what happens. If I were you I would not say too much in terms of details regarding the other car’s speed. Just say you were going the speed limit. Say you didn’t know how fast the other car was going. If you say the other car was going too slow then they will say that you could have avoided it by speeding up and swerving and if it was going faster then they’ll say that you should have been able to stop in time. You might even want to get an attorney.

As for the pretty green Civic with sushi plates, you can get something identical to it, if it does get totaled, and that’s the beauty of manufacturing today.

cruisencode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Really doesn’t matter who was at fault here. The other driver ran off, so your insurance company is going to be paying for the repairs either way. They will probably be able to repair the damage, not total. The biggest question is going to be IF your insurance rates increase, how much, and for how long.
I think this depends on what type of insurance OP has. If OP only has liability insurance, OP is likely SOL. That is, unless he can find the other driver.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Ohio seems to be one of only several states where the Uninsured Motorist coverage doesn't cover hit and run. It is also not obligatory to have UM.

Robertm005

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So looking at it, it doesn’t seem like it would be totaled out. However, if the frame is bent in anyways they’ll total it out. I really hope that’s not the case my man. But the damages shouldn’t exceed the value of the car. Good luck man. I really hope it all works out for you and “sushi” is kept alive.