Some new owner questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
So I'm finally getting around to enjoying my 2018 Civic Touring, and there's a few quirks I had questions I was hoping fellow CivicX peeps who have had their cars for longer can answer for me.

1) What is this? I found it in my trunk rolling around the other day. Also is there a storage spot for this? I assume it must've fallen out somewhere.
Honda Civic 10th gen Some new owner questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to 20181004_174758

2) The chrome door trim that goes along the bottom of the doors, is it just attached on with tape? I was planning on getting these from the dealership, but if the install is simply clean the door with some alcohol and stick on the tape, I think I could do that myself.
Honda Civic 10th gen Some new owner questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to 2016-civic-sedan-lx-acc-nh-797-door-trim-chrome-1400-2x

3) When I go to fill up the gas tank, the nozzle doesn't really fit that well into the cap-less hole, there's some "loose-ness" and the whole receptacle just feels more plastic and less attached to the car than any other car I've had before. Is that normal? I've also noticed that at different gas stations, when attempting to fill the tank, it will often stop short multiple times and I have to really push the nozzle all the way in for it to actually fill all the way until full.

4) In other cars I've driven that had bluetooth, if I call someone and step into the car, the audio is instantly switched over once the bluetooth connects. This car is the only one I've been in where if I'm already in a call and the phone connects to the car afterwards, the audio stays on private, is there a way to change this?

5) Is there a way to disable the pop up notifications from the infotainment when the car first starts? I'd also like to disable having to "select audio source" every time I switch to music as well if that's possible?

6) Are the trunk shopping bag hooks worth it?

My gift: I've found that lipstick is an excellent filler for small-med abrasions in the paint. Here's a picture of the before/after. I used lipstick on the bottom spot and no lipstick on the top and the bottom turned out 100x better.

I've attached 2 pictures. See if you can find the lipstick repair!

Original Damage:
20180908_171657.jpg

After the fix
20180921_071740.jpg

Last edited:

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Looks like a tow hook. One came with my Boxster to pull it on to a flatbed tow rig
2. Those affix with two sided tape. Too Grandpa for me.
3. Chintzy cheap gas filler. I find it kinda flimsy too, but I try not to do my Incredible Hulk impression while gassing up, and I haven’t broken it yet.
4. I think the Bluetooth effect is part of how the Infotainment screen operates, crappy as that may be.
5. I haven’t been able to disable that warning. It goes out after a few seconds.
6. Shopping bag hooks are on my to-do list. Im sick of the recycling bin sliding around in the trunk. I also want to rig up the Accord pull handle outlined in the DIY section.

As for the lipstick... that colour looks good on you.

Just kidding...

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
1. Looks like a tow hook. One came with my Boxster to pull it on to a flatbed tow rig
2. Those affix with two sided tape. Too Grandpa for me.
3. Chintzy cheap gas filler. I find it kinda flimsy too, but I try not to do my Incredible Hulk impression while gassing up, and I haven’t broken it yet.
4. I think the Bluetooth effect is part of how the Infotainment screen operates, crappy as that may be.
5. I haven’t been able to disable that warning. It goes out after a few seconds.
6. Shopping bag hooks are on my to-do list. Im sick of the recycling bin sliding around in the trunk. I also want to rig up the Accord pull handle outlined in the DIY section.

As for the lipstick... that colour looks good on you.

Just kidding...
Thanks,
1) Do you know if there's a spot for this to be stored?
2) Hmm, I finally found a picture of the trim on a black car, with the photo zoomed in I thought it looked good, but seeing it with the car as a whole... I agree it's too much.
3) Good to know it's all flimsy. Did you have any issue with the gas stopping and not filling sometimes unless you push the nozzle all the way in?
4) Damn
5) What about the music source select.
6) I'll check the pull handle out.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For your 1st question - it is indeed a tow hook that screws behind a small panel on the middle/left side of the rear bumper - on the hatchback at least - see picture below. And it goes, IIRC, in the slot facing the Funnel in the tool tray
When it comes to the gas filler, never had any problems whatsoever: stick the nozzle straight, fill till the first click (the fuel is actually very close to the filler). Reactivating the nozzle will end up clogging the vapor canister.
As for question #5 (Audio source) Yes, there is a way to get it only on demand. From the main menu, select Settings, then Audio - Other - Audio Pop-Up (Check No)

For the rest, hope you enjoy your Civic - I know I enjoy mine (or rather, my wife's...)

Honda Civic 10th gen Some new owner questions that I haven't been able to find the answer to Rear Bumper Cropped

Last edited:

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As for the blue-tooth, that’s a Honda thing. My wife’s Oddy does the same thing, as did my 9th Civic.

However, Apple CarPlay behaves differently, immediately connecting to the car audio if you plug in during a call.

OP
OP
Goseki

Goseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Touring
Country flag
As for the blue-tooth, that’s a Honda thing. My wife’s Oddy does the same thing, as did my 9th Civic.

However, Apple CarPlay behaves differently, immediately connecting to the car audio if you plug in during a call.
Well that's an annoying function from Honda... Owell. Thanks!

ElusiveJones

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EX-L
Country flag
For #5, on my '16 ex-l there's a setting in there somewhere to not "clear memory" once you turn off your car and back on. This might help with your issue as for me, it boots up to whatever screen/app I had open on shutdown. I am, however, running Honda hack on my head unit, and I only ever turned off that clear memory/cache option after I started running it, so I don't know for sure if that's what is doing it.
Sponsored