Some Honda Civics are now built in JAPAN...

waltcmusic

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic J-Vin
Country flag
Last edited:

starbreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th GEN
Country flag
Very great news for today ;) Does it mean that the above models are no longer produced in the U.S ?

Last edited:
OP
OP

waltcmusic

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic J-Vin
Country flag
Lol, first post is an advertisement link.
No, it's actually a sample Civic from one Honda dealer inventory I found, so you can see the "J" VIN number. This dealer has over 20 in-stock, built in Japan. You can buy a new Japanese-made Civic sedan today. I'm not sure about the east coast, however.

Last edited:

LoneWoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
Yup. I purchased a Civic Sedan EX-T with Sensing earlier this week, and the sticker says it was built in Japan. I'll upload the sticker image later.

EDIT: Here's the promised window sticker:
Honda Civic 10th gen Some Honda Civics are now built in JAPAN... 3aBlZhTl

Last edited:

OP
OP

waltcmusic

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic J-Vin
Country flag
Yup. I purchased a Civic Sedan EX-T with Sensing earlier this week, and the sticker says it was built in Japan. I'll upload the sticker image later.
If the VIN starts with letter "J", it's built in Japan. The last time a Civic was built in Japan was in year 2013 with LX sedan, and before 1992 for majority of population.

LoneWoof

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sedan EX-T w/ Sensing
Country flag
If the VIN starts with letter "J", it's built in Japan. The last time a Civic was built in Japan was in year 2013 with LX sedan, and before 1992 for majority of population.
Yup. Mine does indeed start with a "J".

Ataricade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
I would prefer they were all built here in the US. I’m happy my engine was at least.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I remember back in the early 90s, my mom refused to buy an Honda that didnt come from japan. The one Accord she bought that was built in the US,her 88 Accord, blew a timing belt at 5,000 miles, slapped the water pump and blew the engine. Honda replaced the engine but she traded it immediately for one built in Japan. We are a Honda family and have been driving them since 86. My first car at 16 in 1995 was an 84 CRX. Its nice to see some people may again have a choice to buy a honda built either in the US or Japan.

starbreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th GEN
Country flag
After checking some VIN's it seems that 11 letter is supposed to show the manufacturing plant
I think only the LX sedan with base engine are built in USA.
But i have seen some Civic models (other than LX sedan trim) that are still built in US (2018 Model) with a VIN that shows clearly that are manufactured in US plants (Honda Manufacturing of Indiana i think). It's a bit confusing. o_O

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After checking some VIN's it seems that 11 letter is supposed to show the manufacturing plant

But i have seen some Civic models (other than LX sedan trim) that are still built in US (2018 Model) with a VIN that shows clearly that are manufactured in US plants (Honda Manufacturing of Indiana i think). It's a bit confusing. o_O
Honda Civic 10th gen Some Honda Civics are now built in JAPAN... upload_2018-5-4_13-4-19

Is there any evidence that Japan built Civics are better in any way? if so great!
In this day an age, probably not. The thinking used to be that the Japanese factories had better quality control and better workers and put out better cars with less defects. But nowadays where everything is globalized and modernized and standardized, its probably really less of an issue. It's just be cool to have a J vin number from Japan.

Ripper3785

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 WOP EX-L Sedan CVT
Country flag

EDIT: Here's the promised window sticker:
3aBlZhTl.jpg
Check the bottom of the rubber mat in your center console for the easter egg. I'm assuming you have the same 10 generations of Civic graphic that I do in my Japan built Civic.
Sponsored