Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I know there has been a lot of speculation about the next Civic Si and we wanted to share some details we just learned from Honda.

The 2017 Civic Si will not be on dealer lots this year. That does not mean it won't be shown this year (although that was not confirmed). My feeling is that it may be revealed later this year but not available until next year.

Based on our conversations, my guess is it will have both auto and manual transmission options, but we confirmed there will be no DCT. Honda is also looking into the possibility of paddle shifters for the auto. No word yet on whether this would make its way into the standard Civics or high performance models. Stay tuned on that.

As for body styles, we were told to expect the Si in the variants that Honda has traditionally offered for the model. Presumably, this means the next Civic Si will be available in both coupe and sedan only.

That's all for now. I'm sure more details will be shared as we get closer, but for now the focus is on the 5-door hatchback which we won't have to wait long to see.
Sponsored

optikalillusi0n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Think the 1.5T with 6MT will come out before or after Si? Thanks for the info!!

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
The automatic transmission option is interesting and surprises me given the predictions by people in the know like Hondapro Jason. I hope the SI doesn't overly impress me or else I may have to trade in my just purchased EX-T a lot earlier than planned.

wi_badger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Acura TL 6-speed
A little disappointing to hear it will not be available until 2017 but only because I am so impatient. I have 1 year left to pay on the Odyssey and told myself I wouldn't replace my TL until the van was paid off. Maybe I should thank Honda for helping me stick to my original plan.

Then again with this news the timing may work out where I am on the early adopters list and the discounts will be little to nothing due to high demand and/or low supply.

Honda, I reserve the right to be mad at a later date even if I really like the SI.

10GCivicSi_Vs_5GPrelude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Honda Prelude
I know there has been a lot of speculation about the next Civic Si and we wanted to share some details we just learned from Honda.

The 2017 Civic Si will not be on dealer lots this year. That does not mean it won't be shown this year (although that was not confirmed). My feeling is that it may be revealed later this year but not available until next year.

Based on some conversations, my guess is it will have both auto and manual transmission options, but we confirmed there will be no DCT. Honda is also looking into the possibility of paddle shifters for the auto. No word yet on whether this would make its way into the standard Civics or high performance models. Stay tuned on that.

As for body styles, we were told to expect the Si in the variants that Honda has traditionally offered for the model. Presumably, this means the next Civic Si will be available in both coupe and sedan only.

That's all for now. I'm sure more details will be shared as we get closer, but for now the focus is on the 5-door hatchback which we won't have to wait long to see.
Thanks for the info!.. Honda is really screwing some of us with this after all indications having been that the SI should be out sometime in 1h 2016. This forces me to look at a 12 to 15 month used car lease just to get me to Si availability. Since when does the Si need a full year after the base model comes out to develop & launch?! ...i guess this does pretty much guarantee the 2.0T as anything less after another full year wait would be a major fail.

All-Knowing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NSX
Country flag
But most 2017 models will be available come late 2016 so perhaps the Si will arrive this calendar year but as a 2017 model?

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
But most 2017 models will be available come late 2016 so perhaps the Si will arrive this calendar year but as a 2017 model?
Depends what you mean by "arrive" I suppose.

"It will not be on dealer lots this year" is as specific as they would get, but it does not sound like anyone will be driving one this year.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Depends what you mean by "arrive" I suppose.

"It will not be on dealer lots this year" is as specific as they would get, but it does not sound like anyone will be driving one this year.
I suppose they didn't mention anything on the TypeR...but if the Honda website is any clue, it says something about the upcoming, Civic hatchback, Civic Si, and Civic TypeR, then I suppose the people saying the Type R would be available mid-late 2017 as a 2018 are probably the 'rightest.'

What's the next major auto show? NY? Geneva?

OP
OP
administrator

administrator

Administrator
First Name
Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I suppose they didn't mention anything on the TypeR...but if the Honda website is any clue, it says something about the upcoming, Civic hatchback, Civic Si, and Civic TypeR, then I suppose the people saying the Type R would be available mid-late 2017 as a 2018 are probably the 'rightest.'

What's the next major auto show? NY? Geneva?
Geneva - next month. And we'll see a major Civic debut there :headbang:

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Hatch and 1.5 MT will come first. I expect the hatch to be announced at Geneva.

Early Spring sounds about right for the Si. Though I would be VERY surprised if Honda offered an auto option on the Si (unless it was DCT).

Razer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HR-V
Well crap, that blows my purchase of a Civic out of the water then. I have an existing vehicle lease that is up in August, and I was planning on getting an Si. No Si means no Civic for me - Now I have to go look around for another vehicle altogether. Fail Honda, major fail. Not a happy camper right now.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well crap, that blows my purchase of a Civic out of the water then. I have an existing vehicle lease that is up in August, and I was planning on getting an Si. No Si means no Civic for me - Now I have to go look around for another vehicle altogether. Fail Honda, major fail. Not a happy camper right now.
I was in a similar situation when evaluating the idea of leasing a Volvo XC90. Their production was still ramping up so they said they'd do a 6 month carryover lease on an xc60. Maybe Honda can do that?