[Solved]I don't see more extreme variations on tire and wheel size in most of the related threads. Why?

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
After reading a lot of the threads relating to changing or modifying the rims or tires on these Civics, I noticed no one seems to stray too much from the factory dimensions.
Is this because factory is just... perfectly fine?

Personally, I was considering replacing my stock wheels, with something much lighter (in the 15lb-18lb range), and then going with a tire size of 235/35, or 245/30.

But I've noticed that no one, that I have yet seen, on this forum, has done anything as drastic.

My aim is to alter and improve my car's handling characteristics.

I have lowering springs on the car. And with a slightly thinner tire, I know my ride height will lower a little bit more. I know there will be a rough 1-3% difference in my speedometer readout.

But what other problems are there, why it seems no one else has done this?

I'm not going to pull the trigger on these changes, if there is some major technical problem that I am overlooking.
Sponsored

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
235/35 is a really unconventional size, and 245/30 in a 18" wheel is also not really all that popular. 30 sidewall is not as great as it sounds, a lot us CTR owners come down to 18's with a wider tire and 35 profile. Same for Si folks, you won't really see people go lower than 35 as there's plenty of sidewall to have great handling and a manageable ride :)

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Gray Pearl ST Hatchback
Country flag
After reading a lot of the threads relating to changing or modifying the rims or tires on these Civics, I noticed no one seems to stray too much from the factory dimensions.

Personally, I was considering replacing my stock wheels, with something much lighter (in the 15lb-18lb range), and then going with a tire size of 235/35, or 245/30.

But I've noticed that no one, that I have yet seen, on this forum, has done anything as drastic.

My aim is to alter and improve my car's handling characteristics.

I have lowering springs on the car. And with a slightly thinner tire, I know my ride height will lower a little bit more. I know there will be a rough 1-3% difference in my speedometer readout.

But what other problems are there, why it seems no one else has done this?

I'm not going to pull the trigger on these changes, if there is some major technical problem that I am overlooking.
Those two sizes are mainly 19" wheel fitments, with no 18's made in 245/30, and only one or two in 235/35-18. You are going to be hard pressed to find any 18" wheels lighter that 18lbs, unless you want to spent a bunch of ?!!! More realistic is settling on 18x9", or 18x9.5", with 45-35mm offsets. This will allow you to run tires in the range of 235/40-265/35, depending on your offset choice. Wheel weights of 20-23lbs are the norm for most decent cast, or rotary forged selections.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
More realistic is settling on 18x9", or 18x9.5", with 45-35mm offsets. This will allow you to run tires in the range of 235/40-265/35, depending on your offset choice. Wheel weights of 20-23lbs are the norm for most decent cast, or rotary forged selections.
Yes, Exactly what I am looking at , 18x9.5 35mm offset , with 265/35r18 . These are really close in height to the stock 18s but a little over an inch wider overall , and with the 35mm offset , it will push most of this new width to the outside .

Fitment Industries | Largest Selection of Custom Car Wheels and Suspension Kits This is good website to get ideas on rim and tire size combinations .

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes, Exactly what I am looking at , 18x9.5 35mm offset , with 265/35r18 . These are really close in height to the stock 18s but a little over an inch wider overall , and with the 35mm offset , it will push most of this new width to the outside .

Fitment Industries | Largest Selection of Custom Car Wheels and Suspension Kits This is good website to get ideas on rim and tire size combinations .
You would do better with a 40, or 45mm offset with that much tire.
I have that setup. 18x9.5", 45mm 265/35's. Lowered on Eibach Sportlines, Godspeed camber arms out back, -.9° camber, fenders rolled almost flat. No rubbing issues.
Honda Civic 10th gen [Solved]I don't see more extreme variations on tire and wheel size in most of the related threads. Why? IMG_20210209_134945986
Honda Civic 10th gen [Solved]I don't see more extreme variations on tire and wheel size in most of the related threads. Why? IMG_20201115_143947355_HDR

OP
OP
MLawrence

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
235/35 is a really unconventional size, and 245/30 in a 18" wheel is also not really all that popular. 30 sidewall is not as great as it sounds, a lot us CTR owners come down to 18's with a wider tire and 35 profile. Same for Si folks, you won't really see people go lower than 35 as there's plenty of sidewall to have great handling and a manageable ride :)
So it’s a trade-off between handling performance vs ride comfort.
So essentially, non-standard sizes like 235/35 and 245/30 for 18s, only give negligible handling gains, for the amount of ride comfort they sacrifice?

SonicBreezerST160

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So it’s a trade-off between handling performance vs ride comfort.
So essentially, non-standard sizes like 235/35 and 245/30 for 18s, only give negligible handling gains, for the amount of ride comfort they sacrifice?
Yeahhhh...once again, there is no such size as 245/30-18.
???

Last edited:

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport Touring 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 1991 Chevrolet c1500
Country flag
You would do better with a 40, or 45mm offset with that much tire.
I have that setup. 18x9.5", 45mm 265/35's. Lowered on Eibach Sportlines, Godspeed camber arms out back, -.9° camber, fenders rolled almost flat. No rubbing issues.
I'm with you on the offset , however the two rims I'm looking at , the Konig Ampliform and Freeform , the highest offset is a 35 in an 18x9.5 , and I am not lowered .

OP
OP
MLawrence

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
Yeahhhh...once again, there is no such size as 245/30-18.
???
Whoa. Chill out man.
Innocent mistake. Hadn't actually read your comment yet.
Pure assumption that 245/30 existed for 18s, since 235/30 exists.

That's why I was here asking.

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Whoa. Chill out man.
Innocent mistake. Hadn't actually read your comment yet.
Pure assumption that 245/30 existed for 18s, since 235/30 exists.

That's why I was here asking.
235/30R18 doesn't exist either . A 235/40 does

The width is the first number ( in mm ) and height , the second number ( a percentage of the width in height )
So 235mm wide , the sidewall is 40% of the width in height .

The 30 and 35 series tires are going to be found on something wider , from 255 and up .

That's why a narrow tire , like a 195/205 will be commonly found in a 60-75 series , if they made it in a 35, the sidewall would be as thin as a rubber band .

Last edited:

OP
OP
MLawrence

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
235/30R18 doesn't exist either . A 235/40 does

The width is the first number ( in mm ) and height , the second number ( a percentage of the width in height )
So 235mm wide , the sidewall is 40% of the width in height .

The 30 and 35 series tires are going to be found on something wider , from 255 and up .

That's why a narrow tire , like a 195/205 will be commonly found in a 60-75 series , if they made it in a 35, the sidewall would be as thin as a rubber band .
You mean like this?
Honda Civic 10th gen [Solved]I don't see more extreme variations on tire and wheel size in most of the related threads. Why? 5189EC6C-724C-4FBF-BEB9-5B6799E7CF11

Practically non-existent sidewall. But it IS real.
I remember reading that CTR guys were coming down to 18” rims, with 35 and higher profiles, specifically to avoid damaging their wheels in potholes.
Clearly 30 is a pinch too thin for 18.

EDIT: I do like the look of the thin profile.
I just assumed it would work well if the tire was wider… hence 245.

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well...define factory, cause to me personally the 20'' rims on the type R are too much...even 19'' are still a little rough for my taste, the choice to equip the car in 18'' for the sport and Si models is a good one providing a good balance between ride quality and performance.

For winter tires, 15'' or 16'' with a tire width of around 205mm is perfect for traction and handling. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
MLawrence

MLawrence

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si
Country flag
well...define factory, cause to me personally the 20'' rims on the type R are too much...even 19'' are still a little rough for my taste, the choice to equip the car in 18'' for the sport and Si models is a good one providing a good balance between ride quality and performance.

For winter tires, 15'' or 16'' with a tire width of around 205mm is perfect for traction and handling. :thumbsup:
Learning things the hard way! Just went through my first snow with the Si. Not a disaster, but a set of winter wheels and tires would have made things more pleasant, for going out.
Do you just swap them on as needed, and leave them on for the season?

Icebear

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You mean like this?
5189EC6C-724C-4FBF-BEB9-5B6799E7CF11.jpeg

Practically non-existent sidewall. But it IS real.
I remember reading that CTR guys were coming down to 18” rims, with 35 and higher profiles, specifically to avoid damaging their wheels in potholes.
Clearly 30 is a pinch too thin for 18.

EDIT: I do like the look of the thin profile.
I just assumed it would work well if the tire was wider… hence 245.
The reason I say it didn't exist , and I clearly explained incorrectly on this point , was it is a tire that is no longer produced , I should have said it no longer exist , because the 235/30 did at one time , however it was not a popular tire .

Toyo is the last manufacturer that did make it . There are probably a few sets left on eBay .

yansag1982

First Name
Yanick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Coupe Sport 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Learning things the hard way! Just went through my first snow with the Si. Not a disaster, but a set of winter wheels and tires would have made things more pleasant, for going out.
Do you just swap them on as needed, and leave them on for the season?
Well up here winter is pretty heavy...so normally i install them around mid november and they can be removed in April.

Winter tires are mandatory in Québec from december 1st to march 15th...police better not catch you in summer or all season during those months.

Here just took a quick pic to show you what its like around here at this time...my poor car ?

Honda Civic 10th gen [Solved]I don't see more extreme variations on tire and wheel size in most of the related threads. Why? 20210220_103356
Sponsored

Last edited: