Solved - Honda rims different colors batch/year? Help troubleshooting needed!

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Solved - Honda rims different colors batch/year? Help troubleshooting needed! 334D683A-FE2D-40D0-9DBD-7625B0DD1CCB

I’ve had a hell of a time with the dealership I bought my car from.

Today when I brought it there for them to repair the rim they opted to put a new one on from a different car. However after looking at it closer the two are rather significantly different colors, the new one being darker than the originals. I would rather stab myself in the eye than go back to this place.

Has anyone ever seen this before? Is there an explanation for it? Any recommendations that might help me balance the two out?

edit: to clarify vehicle specifics

My car is a 2017 hatchback ex-l. I saw the car the rim came off of and it was also a hatch, but I’m assuming a 2020 model as they said it was new. Couldn’t tell the trim, but I’m guessing ex or ex-l because of the rim style?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How did you drive away without confirming the wheel? I'd go back (with googles on).

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
How did you drive away without confirming the wheel? I'd go back (with googles on).
They took over an hour and a half longer to finish with my car than promised. I was pressed for time, about to be late for work and just wanted to get out of there. Shame on me for trusting them to do their job professionally I guess.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
OP, sedans and coupes are equipped with the shiny versions of those wheels (I'm assuming you have a sedan or coupe).

The hatches got the exclusive dark tinted version that the dealer (unfortunately) put on your car.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
OP, sedans and coupes are equipped with the shiny versions of those wheels (I'm assuming you have a sedan or coupe).

The hatches got the exclusive dark tinted version that the dealer (unfortunately) put on your car.
Really? That’s bizarre. My car is a 2017 hatchback ex-l actually. I saw the car the rim came off of too and it was also a hatch, but a 2020 model. Couldn’t tell the trim, but I’m assuming ex or ex-l because of the rim. Maybe the original owner made a very specific/unusual request to change them when they bought?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think you might be right if you are the second owner of your car. They definitely came from the factory with the dark tint.

Here are the shiny ones on my sedan...

Honda Civic 10th gen Solved - Honda rims different colors batch/year? Help troubleshooting needed! tip4

The 2020's actually have a totally different wheel design.

Honda Civic 10th gen Solved - Honda rims different colors batch/year? Help troubleshooting needed! new-2020-honda-civic_hatchback-exlcvt-8594-19947677-1-1024

Last edited:

gdagreat

First Name
g
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic ex hatchback
Country flag
is it one of those small dealerships? why did they have to replace it? was it bent?

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
The 2020 hatches have a totally different wheel design.
Wow so it must have been a 2019 then, I guess? So strange how this al ended up happening but these guys haven’t gotten anything right in the last month I’ve been dealing with them so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised.

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
is it one of those small dealerships? why did they have to replace it? was it bent?
It was a cosmetic problem. They made the decision to replace it because a miscommunication in their shop led to them wasting the time they had allotted for their guy to fix the scuffs, and after I had already been there since open for over 4 hours (for them to fix one rim and the wiper fluid motor) so I guess they rushed to the quickest solution. They also had cannibalized the wiper fluid pump from the same car the rim ended up coming off if so I guess they figured why not? Kicker is that the job they did on the wiper fluid pump failed when I was getting it inspected an hour later. The rest of the experience before today had been even worse too.

TLDR; Dealer I went to is a total shit show.

Edit: Typos

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Tell them they got you the wrong rim....

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
UPDATE:

Now that I know this isn’t some simple variance and it is in fact a different style rim I reached out to the dealer.

Their solution was for “DentWizard” to come and fix the problem. Anyone familiar with something of this nature being done? Can I trust the results?

To Clarify: It’s a 3 hour round trip for me to go back there (I’ve made the trip 3 separate times now and spent well over 10 hours on site because of their general incompetence).

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've used Dent Wizard for PDR and they did great. I imagine they must also offer wheel repair services.

OP
OP
Renegade 508

Renegade 508

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch EX-L
Country flag
I've used Dent Wizard for PDR and they did great. I imagine they must also offer wheel repair services.
Sweet, I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for all your help, man. First time I went through that dealership, and I’ve regretted it every day for the last 5 weeks since I made my down-payment.
Sponsored