SOLVED - Helped Need - 2018 Civic SI Sedan Will Not Start After Battery Replacement

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
My guess is when I replaced the battery, I did something that blew the fuse to prevent frying the system. I did find it odd that most of the electronics still came on. I'm assuming it had enough juice to power that but with that 125A blown, it didn't have enough juice to turn the car over.
Sponsored

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
My guess is when I replaced the battery, I did something that blew the fuse to prevent frying the system. I did find it odd that most of the electronics still came on. I'm assuming it had enough juice to power that but with that 125A blown, it didn't have enough juice to turn the car over.
Because the 125A fuse is not a main fuse. It doesn't power everything. It powers the starter switch, VSA, BCM, HU, AC, Horn, etc.. You can see there're a bunch of other fuses that power other stuff like Fan Control, Stereo Amplifier, etc...

Honda Civic 10th gen SOLVED - Helped Need - 2018 Civic SI Sedan Will Not Start After Battery Replacement 1627089743128

MachoGrande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic HB ST (FK7)
Country flag
That is the craziest fuse I've ever seen. Why not just have 5 normal fuses? Wild. 125A fuse popping would have been fun to watch. Glad it didnt cause any other damage - I would have been confused also, thinking that chubby 125'er was some sort of master fuse, so why does everything else still work. Circuit diagram solved that mystery. Interesting!

MagicMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Coupe 2002 Mercury Cougar V6
Country flag
Just curious but how were you not able to open the door manually with the key? My battery died at the beginning of the pandemic as I left it sitting too long (about 4 weeks), and I had no issues with opening the door with the actual key, even with no battery installed.

OP
OP

clumsywob

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 WOP Civic Sedan SI
Country flag
From what I've read, it may be a common issue with the linkage not being connected for the lock (something along those lines, I may be fudging that up a bit). But yea, with the battery dead, my key does nothing. I was quite frustrated when it first happened and even still am, kind of. With the battery dead, I was completely locked out of my car. The one time I had *just* enough juice to get in my car, I couldn't even disengage the e-brake to even attempt to push start the car. Just give me back my damn e-brake handle already. /rant

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
From what I've read, it may be a common issue with the linkage not being connected for the lock (something along those lines, I may be fudging that up a bit). But yea, with the battery dead, my key does nothing. I was quite frustrated when it first happened and even still am, kind of. With the battery dead, I was completely locked out of my car. The one time I had *just* enough juice to get in my car, I couldn't even disengage the e-brake to even attempt to push start the car. Just give me back my damn e-brake handle already. /rant
Now that the battery is working, have you tried opening the door with the hidden key?

StormFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan - US Model
~43000 miles
Warranty expired in March

Back story: 2 weeks ago, battery died to the point where I couldn't even unlock my car via the physical key, key fob or the button on the door handle. I called Progressive Roadside Assistance (Warranty expired in March) and they sent someone out to who use some inflatable tool and a rod to unlock my car and they then used a battery booster to give my car a jump and all was well.

Fast forward to today, my car sat for 3 days while I was out of town. Got back today and same thing happened. Another call placed with Progressive Roadside Assistance, another inflatable tool and rod to get my car unlocked and a jump and I was back in business. So I decided to go grab a battery from Napa since it's down the road from me, installed the battery and now my car won't start at all. When pressing the Push to start button to start the car, the dashboard displays every warning possible and I can hear a click when the car tries to crank. All of the interior lights work, the door locks work, the headlights work, etc.. The Radio does NOT power on. I even put the factory battery back in and the results are the same. I did try to pump the brake based one a thread I read here but that did not work.

I'm at a complete loss here. I basically have a paperweight in my drive way right now. Does anyone have any ideas on what the heck is going on here and how I can fix it? My next step is to have it towed to Honda tomorrow but I wanted to at least see if anyone else has any thoughts as to what is happening. I've had 6 Hondas over the years and this has completely soured my taste for Honda. I understand that if the battery is dead, the key fob won't work. But even the physical key? That's insanity.

Anyhow, thanks in advance for any help that may be provided.

Got the same damn issue going on with mine currenty
Sponsored