Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update 30 June 2020:
Thanks to the guys at kineticautoworks, they found out the issue. The sound got worse and only happened on slow turns and was a metal to metal growl sound. I was so far off on what I thought it was. I would think I solved it, but then it came back again and again.

More than a year ago Honda had taken the axle out and replaced a leaky seal... apparently when that was done they didn't put it back together correctly nor fill the tranny completely!

I'm lucky nothing else happened.

Pics from kineticautoworks solving the issue...look close and you'll see marks all over the transmission ?:

Honda Civic 10th gen SOLVED! Faint groan when turning at slow speeds received_1538228673018475

Honda Civic 10th gen SOLVED! Faint groan when turning at slow speeds received_299106914794916

Last edited:
OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess I'm alone on this one lol. I heard it again today...almost a slight creak sound to it when turning the wheel...think it's on the driver side.

I'll just have to bring it up to the dealer and see if anything is messed up

dreamtcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic FC
Country flag
Guess I'm alone on this one lol. I heard it again today...almost a slight creak sound to it when turning the wheel...think it's on the driver side.

Hey 02SilverSiHB

does it sound something like this?

Video link on YouTube

I’ve this issue where it comes up “after” warming up and resting in parked for 10 mins.

another way to replicate it, would be to turn in 360 circle at full lock.

One discovery, it goes away when air conditioning is turned off.

I’m suspecting belt and tensioner, as I’ve checked my wheel bearings, steering alignment and tyres

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey 02SilverSiHB

does it sound something like this?

Video link on YouTube

I’ve this issue where it comes up “after” warming up and resting in parked for 10 mins.

another way to replicate it, would be to turn in 360 circle at full lock.

One discovery, it goes away when air conditioning is turned off.

I’m suspecting belt and tensioner, as I’ve checked my wheel bearings, steering alignment and tyres
I honestly can't hear it in that vid of yours.

It's a deep grunt sound I guess lol..hard to explain. This guy has it worse (see vid below)...may be the boots...perhaps from all the suspension installs I pulled something to far.

This may not be the same as mine but as close to the sound I can find...he puts grease on to make it go away. Mine doesn't do it nearly that much like this guy's vid. Mine does it for a second maybe...usually when making a left turn and I typically hear it when parking

Last edited:

Wabby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Cr-z
Country flag
Last days I do get a squeek sometimes when I turn the wheel.

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Last days I do get a squeek sometimes when I turn the wheel.
yeah, for me, it's definitely something to do with either the steering rods or those boots...something involved in the steering.

It definitely is not to be confused with that squeal you'd get from a rock or anything like that.

Today I noticed it when pulling into the parking lot at work...when I was going to the left at a slight uphill slope.

I'm thinking I might have messed up a steering rod or something...probably time to stop guessing and just make an appt.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
yeah, for me, it's definitely something to do with either the steering rods or those boots...something involved in the steering.

It definitely is not to be confused with that squeal you'd get from a rock or anything like that.

Today I noticed it when pulling into the parking lot at work...when I was going to the left at a slight uphill slope.

I'm thinking I might have messed up a steering rod or something...probably time to stop guessing and just make an appt.
it could be wheel bearing. Take some video and post.

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
well, as soon as I said it was gone, heard it again yesterday. Also realized whine wasn't the right word...more of a groan, like some old man waking up :D so hard to explain and hard to get on vid, especially with my exhaust now.

Eventually I'll take it in, just hasn't felt bad, just sounds strange now and then...and only when pulling into or out of a parking spot while turning fully

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
I had some groaning or low whine when i had an issue with my infotainment shutting off whenever I turned my steering wheel. The HVAC fans would also slow down. I believe at the time it was due to a low/faulty battery from leaving the fob in my car overnight. I havent changed anything and just kept driving and it went away. Dealer didnt find anything either..

Almost sounds like an owl hooting.

This was my video of it:

edit: nvm your video example is not what i was hearing.

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had some groaning or low whine when i had an issue with my infotainment shutting off whenever I turned my steering wheel. The HVAC fans would also slow down. I believe at the time it was due to a low/faulty battery from leaving the fob in my car overnight. I havent changed anything and just kept driving and it went away. Dealer didnt find anything either..

Almost sounds like an owl hooting.

This was my video of it:

edit: nvm your video example is not what i was hearing.
Yeah mine is a deeper groan sound. Seems to happen mainly when the roads are wet and only when parking or turning slow while driving slow in like parking lots etc

95PreludeSi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2005 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
Country flag
Could you guys possibly be hearing the LSD? I’ve noticed mine makes a little noise when you have the wheel turned a good bit and going very slow with some throttle input. Mine reminds me of other FWD cars I’ve had with aggressive helical diffs.

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Could you guys possibly be hearing the LSD? I’ve noticed mine makes a little noise when you have the wheel turned a good bit and going very slow with some throttle input. Mine reminds me of other FWD cars I’ve had with aggressive helical diffs.
Ah maybe that's what I'm hearing. Doesn't feel like anything is wrong so could just be that

MrCivicHatch12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback
Country flag

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had some Eibach Sportlines installed on my car back in October. After about a week of driving I notice my car would make these groaning noises upon turning my wheel at slow speeds. At first it would happen sometimes but now I notice it a lot. For me, the sound can be produced when I pull into my driveway slowly and my car is at an incline, when I return the steering wheel to straighten it I get the groaning sounds. Im not sure if this is normal or not but its kind of annoying when I pull into my driveway

OP
OP
02SilverSiHB

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know exactly what you're talking about. I had some Eibach Sportlines installed on my car back in October. After about a week of driving I notice my car would make these groaning noises upon turning my wheel at slow speeds. At first it would happen sometimes but now I notice it a lot. For me, the sound can be produced when I pull into my driveway slowly and my car is at an incline, when I return the steering wheel to straighten it I get the groaning sounds. Im not sure if this is normal or not but its kind of annoying when I pull into my driveway
Yeah it came back and I hear it mainly when it rains. I think I've narrowed it down. I need to check it this weekend. Sounds like a ball joint that went bad and is causing some friction when turning.

Happens while turning during slow drive up an incline or turning while backing up slowly at an incline.

My guess is from the install which I did differently the first time. I popped that joint out when i did my first install...could have damaged it and now it's finally letting me know.

I used the spoon method I found later on when installing spoon springs then revel Coilovers...then back to stock.
Sponsored