JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
I feel like the windshield “issue” is a forum thing. Nobody I know with a ctr in real life has had any issues. I work on vehicles for a living from a British luxury brand and I see those crack all the time. I think you just hear about the bad luck a lot here as I see the bad luck happen plenty at my dealer. As a side note, it seems like Pilkington makes almost every OEM windshield out there anyway.

Just offering my $0.02

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
I feel like the windshield “issue” is a forum thing. Nobody I know with a ctr in real life has had any issues. I work on vehicles for a living from a British luxury brand and I see those crack all the time. I think you just hear about the bad luck a lot here as I see the bad luck happen plenty at my dealer. As a side note, it seems like Pilkington makes almost every OEM windshield out there anyway.

Just offering my $0.02
That's interesting info....thanks for that input

OP
OP
Byron Sexton

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
What do you think about protection?

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
What do you think about protection?
I’m not an expert, but personally I think that something like this would help with chips and scratches, although I’m not sure it would prevent large cracks. The hard part is that do we really know what causes the large cracks unless we hear a giant rock hit our windshield?
In my opinion you should spend the money on an insurance policy with a cost effective deductible that covers windshield replacement.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
its not really hondas crappy windshield but just unfortunate situations where a rock smacks it and chips it which then leads to a crack forming from the chip.

i dont know anyone who has used exo shield but i know few ppl who runs ppf on their windshield.
i personally dont run one on any of my cars so i cant tell you how well it works.

i did see this video a few days ago which talked about windshield ppf

redcoats1976

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic coupe,2015 camaro RS
Country flag
i have quite a few pits in my OEM windshield but no actual cracks.have had some decent rock/pebble hits at 70 plus mph.pilkington makes good glass IMHO.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
My experience is that best way to prevent cracks is to get chips fixed ASAP. The last two times I've had big cracks in windshields have been when I saw a chip and did not get it fixed. And then had the car outside with a big temperature differential. (One was a cold overnight, the other snow.)

I doubt that an unchipped windshield cracks (pretty confident every crack I've had started at a chip). The crack has to start somewhere, either a manufacturing imperfection (I assume extremely rare) or from a stress concentration (i.e. chip).

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Discounting the hassle my insurance will replace a windshield for free. So far I'm good. Not many rocks here in Central Florida, lol.
Now that I've said that tonight driving home I'll get a boulder in my windshield....
However I've noticed a distortion in the bottom edge of my windshield that I've never seen on any other cars windshield that I've owned. I take it as a fault of manufacturing/poor process control on Pilkingtons' part.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
when i drive i usually keep a good distance from the car in front of me. with that being said, i know they make windshield protectors. my PPF installer tried to upsell it, but i passed.

lexro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic LX 2006, Civic Sedan Sport 2019, Type R 2021
Country flag
When I got my PPF installed, the shop was installing the windshield protection on a beautiful Wrangler. I asked about it.

All I can say is, for the price, you might as well just hold on to that money and get a new windshield every couple of years. As that protection would be due for a replacement within the same time frame anyway.

alicj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
when i drive i usually keep a good distance from the car in front of me. with that being said, i know they make windshield protectors. my PPF installer tried to upsell it, but i passed.
Doesn't help when a dumba$$ swipe right in front of you to get to the off/on ramp over the gravel covered median. Had this happened multiple times to me.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
All I can say is, for the price, you might as well just hold on to that money and get a new windshield every couple of years. As that protection would be due for a replacement within the same time frame anyway.
If the cost goes down, it might be an option but at the current price point, i feel the same way.
Also wonder how well the film withstands against wiper movements.

Might be a good choice though if your windshield is tinted. it'd be lame to have to retint the windshield every single time you replace the windshield.
Doesn't help when a dumba$$ swipe right in front of you to get to the off/on ramp over the gravel covered median. Had this happened multiple times to me.
Yeah. no amount of space is safe since rocks are everywhere. Only way to prevent it is to not drive on the freeway haha.
You could be keeping a ton of distance from cars in front of you and all it takes is some dude to overtake you on the next lane over and kick some rocks while hes passing you or when he gets in front of you.

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I have no knowledge nor experience with windshield coatings, however, I need to vent.

Before winter came to our area I drove the CTR after it had been sitting in the driveway for a month or so. As I drove I noticed a couple of straight lines on the windshield about four or five inches long just to the left of the drivers view. They look about like the width of a human hair. They were apparent only when the sunlight came across the windshield just right. I figured they were just some kind of crud. I ran it through a touchless car wash during this excursion figuring the lines would also come off...Nope! When I got home I cleaned the area with window cleaner and a microfiber cloth. No luck. I checked the areas with a finger nail. I could feel the lines! These are not the typical rough edge scratches one would expect. Kind of like what a diamond tool/laser type instrument would do(aliens??). I will work on them more this spring, but it is a pisser. Nice thing is if a new windshield is needed there is nothing to recalibrate!

Thanks for listening.

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Happened too me when my Ctr was barely a year old. On my way too work when I heard the dreaded pop sound. Since I was on the freeway going to work and I heard it from the passenger side, couldn’t get a good look at it. In a span of 10 minutes, I could hear and see the glass starting too split. By the time I arrived at work, a simple chip grew too a 6 inch crack. Was on the phone with insurance who covered the $2500.00 replacement, installation and calibration of an oem windshield.
Sponsored