WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The lack of responses to questions about why the OP 'needed' a car that allowed him to use both hands whenever a random incident happened while driving to care for his kid is still super concerning. Tells me that this guy bought the car for the autopilot as in his own words -

I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what. When I bought the R, I didn't have any children and it was a great fit. But rowing gears while I am needed as a parent is a pretty selfish thing to attempt and it's not something I can handle.

This guy 100% intends to use the Tesla autopilot whenever necessary to work with his kid while the car is fully driving.

That's just scary, narcissistic, and a really super concerning approach to life - as someone else said - that's a great way to get someone else's kid on the dead / disabled list.

There are enough idiots on the road as it is - but to like plan out how to increase that number and execute on it is really scary imo.
I've seen people use their crotch goblins as excuses for a lot of things, but this is by far the worst one yet.
Sponsored

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
a turbocharged manual transmission petrol hot hatch vs an awd electric sedan?

i dont see why tesla owners would consider a ctr and vice versa as they really provide different purposes. Now it is understandable if you had to change from one to another due to things that happens in life but to cross shop? idk.

The comparison is similar to someone cross shopping a CTR and a Camry. is there someone out there that might have done it? Sure. Majority however won't though. Most potential tesla buyers will be comparing the vehicle to other sedans and not a performance hot hatch. Makes more sense for people to compare/cross shop to a sports car than an electric sedan.

They're both 4 doors. Dimensionally they're very similar. Price-wise they are also very similar (atleast for the base model 3). Doesn't seem like an odd comparison to me whatsoever. By your logic, a tesla model 3 should only really be compared with other awd electric sedans and that's not how real car shopping works. People are comparing teslas with all types of petrol vehicles.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
by your logic, yes. EVERYTHING can be comparable then.

first of all one is a hatch and a sedan. dimensionally sure they may be similar but cargo space is totally different. I dont go shopping for a hatch and end up in a sedan. thats for damn sure.

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
by your logic, yes. EVERYTHING can be comparable then.

first of all one is a hatch and a sedan. dimensionally sure they may be similar but cargo space is totally different. I dont go shopping for a hatch and end up in a sedan. thats for damn sure.
Yes everything IS comparable. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Many car shoppers cross-shop based on their budget. Not on arbitrary car segments.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
those are car shoppers that is confused on what they want in a car.

ive worked at a dealership for a few years. Tons of car shoppers gets "sold" into another car because they dont know what they want.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yes everything IS comparable. That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Many car shoppers cross-shop based on their budget. Not on arbitrary car segments.
While I agree with your statement that price is usually the biggest factor when purchasing a car, I wouldn't call car segments "arbitrary"

And to that point, new these cars aren't in the same budget category either. The R is roughly $39k while the M3P is $55k. That's not cross shopping territory.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what.
Bruh...

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While I agree with your statement that price is usually the biggest factor when purchasing a car, I wouldn't call car segments "arbitrary"

And to that point, new these cars aren't in the same budget category either. The R is roughly $39k while the M3P is $55k. That's not cross shopping territory.
Yeah, that's true. Car segments are not arbitrary. I just meant that the CTR (a hatchback kind of shaped like a sedan) and the model 3 (a sedan kind of shaped like a hatchback) seems arbitrary to me.

And true. I did point out that the BASE model 3 is closer in price to the CTR.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
BRB while I cross shop a CTR and Ford Ranger, might even look at a Ford Transit.
Sponsored