Sold the R and bought an American muscle car

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Thanks for the tip. Not very useful, though, considering you don't know my situation at all.
Nobody, regardless of their situation, should be using both hands to work with a child in the back seat while driving any car.

That's what he's getting at - I'm reinforcing, and hoping you realize. There isn't a reason to get rid of the Type R for that same reason - you are driving the car, if something happens that makes that not your current and ONLY priority - yes - pull over and deal with your kiddo or whatever is going on.

Thinking that it's optional to have both hands focused on driving is really a scary concept you seem to embrace.
Sponsored

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
This thread certainly got popular :popcorn:

I think the whole uproar is how the thread was titled. Had he put 'Traded in the R for a Tesla', you'd see a different response from everyone. I think most people were disappointed when they realized it was not a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger/big v8 car but instead a Tesla. I can see where the OP is coming from regarding Tesla's being deemed American muscle cars 50 years now. But we are talking about now, not the future. I myself LOVE American muscle cars. Started back in 2012 with my '13 Mustang GT that I ordered and waited a painful 8 weeks to have delivered. The moment I fired it up and drove it off the lot, I instantly knew I was hooked. I've had some kind of American v8 car in my garage ever since. Graduated from the Mustang to a Challenger Scat Pack, then to a Camaro ZL1. Ultimately decided I wanted to go big and purchased a 2019 Z06 fresh off the showroom floor at the end of 2018. It's got the muscle car powertrain with the super car handling. Best car I've ever owned, hands down. I did the opposite of the OP though - I added the R to the stable while keeping the American muscle :drive:

Honda Civic 10th gen Sold the R and bought an American muscle car D1k7cE9m

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
I think the Tesla Model 3's and Model S's are the new modern American muscle cars,
What the new incarnation of American muscle cars is controversial and opinions differ. Ford called their Mach-E a Mustang and that upset many Mustang fans because they don't think an electrified SUV deserves the Mustang monicker. Porsche called one of their Taycan models a "Turbo" and it's fully electric. Chris Harris of Top Gear disqualified the Mustang GT350 from being a "muscle car" because it handles too much like a European car (i.e. it handles very well). In his mind, American "Muscle Car" is a straight line car, like the old live-axle Mustangs and the chargers/challengers.

Last edited:

Litfuse

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered CTR
Country flag
This thread certainly got popular :popcorn:

I think the whole uproar is how the thread was titled. Had he put 'Traded in the R for a Tesla', you'd see a different response from everyone. I think most people were disappointed when they realized it was not a Camaro/Mustang/Challenger/big v8 car but instead a Tesla. I can see where the OP is coming from regarding Tesla's being deemed American muscle cars 50 years now. But we are talking about now, not the future. I myself LOVE American muscle cars. Started back in 2012 with my '13 Mustang GT that I ordered and waited a painful 8 weeks to have delivered. The moment I fired it up and drove it off the lot, I instantly knew I was hooked. I've had some kind of American v8 car in my garage ever since. Graduated from the Mustang to a Challenger Scat Pack, then to a Camaro ZL1. Ultimately decided I wanted to go big and purchased a 2019 Z06 fresh off the showroom floor at the end of 2018. It's got the muscle car powertrain with the super car handling. Best car I've ever owned, hands down. I did the opposite of the OP though - I added the R to the stable while keeping the American muscle :drive:

D1k7cE9m.jpg
I got rid of my C7 GS for a type R. There have been comments in this thread that buyers don’t cross shop these two cars. BS. Car enthusiast will look at a wide range of cars that make absolutely no sense to purchase. That’s passion for the industry.

rwht

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FK8 (Incoming)
Country flag
I got rid of my C7 GS for a type R. There have been comments in this thread that buyers don’t cross shop these two cars. BS. Car enthusiast will look at a wide range of cars that make absolutely no sense to purchase. That’s passion for the industry.
Part of it is everyone's definition of 'enthusiast' can differ and the spectrum is very wide - without enough information (needs / constraints) it is hard for us to know if what someone is cross shopping makes sense. On top of that each person's decision tree when shopping for a new vehicle is different based on their priorities. Someone that is looking for a new practical performance all rounder may find a Type-R high up their list, when others that are only looking for a fun weekend vehicle may also consider options like a Corvette / Mustang / Miata if those second row seats / cargo capacity aren't important.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I think you're more describing someone that doesn't really know what they want.

From my point of view a vette and Type R cross shop we'll call it, makes a world more of sense than cross shopping a model 3 with and a Type R.

Now if someone said cross shopping a Accord or Camry with a model 3, then I'd be convinced.

Their intended purposes are different, even if they aren't used that way.

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Remember - the Tesla's "full self driving" is not really full self driving. If you need to remove your hands from the wheel, pull to the side and do not allow the "full self driving" to take over. You will die if you trust that system.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what. When I bought the R, I didn't have any children and it was a great fit. But rowing gears while I am needed as a parent is a pretty selfish thing to attempt and it's not something I can handle. No worries either way and I appreciate your comments.
That makes perfect sense to me. When I got my R my kids were well past the car seat phase (though my daughter managed to drip jelly from an Uncrustable on the back seat, which prompted a “nobody eats in this car except me” rule). I have always preferred manual transmissions but went ten years without one when the kids were little. You do what you gotta do.

And again, I love Teslas. I was on the Model 3 wait list within two days of the launch, and if they had come close to the production timeline they initially forecast, I’d probably be driving one now. I wanted a dual motor performance version, just like yours. Enjoy!

Pierito

First Name
Piero
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type-R (CW), 2007 Honda S2000 (SS)
Country flag
I'm surprised that some here actually think no one would cross-shop a CTR and a model 3. Of course they are very different, but this seems like a completely reasonable comparison.

WhiskeyTango

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The Type R is too much car for some people and it lets those people know in the first 6-12 months. That's why so many go up for sale so often after a year. I get the feeling the majority of owners just buy an R to tell their friends they owned one.

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I get the feeling the majority of owners just buy an R to tell their friends they owned one.
The friends would need to be under the age of 21, because that is who is the most hyped up about this particular vehicle and who are impressed by it. 90% of buyers have no idea what the hell this car is.

The older crowd turns up their nose at it, the kids think it is a rocket ship.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
The lack of responses to questions about why the OP 'needed' a car that allowed him to use both hands whenever a random incident happened while driving to care for his kid is still super concerning. Tells me that this guy bought the car for the autopilot as in his own words -

I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what. When I bought the R, I didn't have any children and it was a great fit. But rowing gears while I am needed as a parent is a pretty selfish thing to attempt and it's not something I can handle.

This guy 100% intends to use the Tesla autopilot whenever necessary to work with his kid while the car is fully driving.

That's just scary, narcissistic, and a really super concerning approach to life - as someone else said - that's a great way to get someone else's kid on the dead / disabled list.

There are enough idiots on the road as it is - but to like plan out how to increase that number and execute on it is really scary imo.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'm surprised that some here actually think no one would cross-shop a CTR and a model 3. Of course they are very different, but this seems like a completely reasonable comparison.
a turbocharged manual transmission petrol hot hatch vs an awd electric sedan?

i dont see why tesla owners would consider a ctr and vice versa as they really provide different purposes. Now it is understandable if you had to change from one to another due to things that happens in life but to cross shop? idk.

The comparison is similar to someone cross shopping a CTR and a Camry. is there someone out there that might have done it? Sure. Majority however won't though. Most potential tesla buyers will be comparing the vehicle to other sedans and not a performance hot hatch. Makes more sense for people to compare/cross shop to a sports car than an electric sedan.
Sponsored