OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Enjoy rowing the gears and spinning the tyres of your new RWD manual muscle car.

Oh wait, nope. You bought an appliance. They're still cool and I have no hate on the Model 3, but to call it something it isn't is disingenuous at best, and trolling at worst.
I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what. When I bought the R, I didn't have any children and it was a great fit. But rowing gears while I am needed as a parent is a pretty selfish thing to attempt and it's not something I can handle. No worries either way and I appreciate your comments.
Sponsored

Last edited:

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
I DO think a Tesla is the modern American muscle car, but I completely understand if that doesn't meet your pre-reqs for what a muscle car is.
Pretty much everything people wrote to you was in good fun, and like I wrote above, you knew (surely) when you wrote that title that you were asking for a little sarcasm sent back your way.

Comparing a sort of auto x car to an electric vehicle that has a blistering fast 0-60 time but shares nothing in common with said auto x car is really apples to marshmallows. It's not electric hate or gas superiority, it is just silly. Two different car buying communities.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Nice writeup, congrats on the switch to a Model 3! Like the Type-R a Model 3 needs to be experienced (even the base model) to understand why it's so popular. It's not sharp like a Type-R around corners, but the instant torque and acceleration is so accessible that you can have fun in it at any speed.

That said, I'm planning on going the opposite direction from a Model 3 to a Type-R, primarily because I want something that asks a bit more of me. As capable as the Model 3 is, I don't find it engaging to drive and miss having something I can wring out around corners. Seems like the grass is always greener on the other side haha...
Hey man, I wholeheartedly agree the grass is always greener! Model 3 is awesome and so is the R, and I hope you have an awesome time with the swap. You won't regret owning an R, that's for sure, and they hold their value better than just about any modern vehicle around.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
nothing wrong with having to change to a tesla to suit your life needs.

i dont think anyone here is mocking your choice. Its just the comparisons are a bit silly.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
nothing wrong with having to change to a tesla to suit your life needs.

i dont think anyone here is mocking your choice. Its just the comparisons are a bit silly.
Fair enough. I enjoy the dichotomy of comparing the two. Nothing wrong with disagreements on that front, though, and I hear where you're coming from. I don't like apples to apples, but I totally get that some people prefer ONLY apples to apples. Thanks for the comment.

Jwolf

I Think I'm Fast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 86, '19 CTR, Some other stuff
Country flag
I mentioned this in a different thread, but the primary reason I can't drive a manual any more is because my son is disabled and I need to be able to reach back and assist him in his car seat at any time no matter what. When I bought the R, I didn't have any children and it was a great fit. But rowing gears while I am needed as a parent is a pretty selfish thing to attempt and it's not something I can handle. No worries either way and I appreciate your comments.
I'm not aware of your entire situation, but I would advise you just pull over. This seems like the safest option to me.

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
id 100% own a tesla if i had somewhere to charge it. dont blame you one bit.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I'm not aware of your entire situation, but I would advise you just pull over. This seems like the safest option to me.
Yeah really - this isn't a type of vehicle thing - it's common sense. I REALLY HOPE the OP isn't getting a Tesla so he can put it on auto pilot to handle child issues - that's the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
What is the "3 bucket method"?
Good question. I have one bucket for strictly wheels so I don't scratch the paint. I have a soap and a rinse bucket. They are 6 GAL buckets. I fill them all the way up. Wash mitt goes into soap bucket and I do a reasonable area on the car. Back into the rinse bucket. Then dunk back into the soap bucket. Rinse and repeat.

I work top-down. I save the rear and lower panels of the car for last so I don't bring that dirt back up to the areas of the car that don't usually get that dirty. Best way to wash any vehicle to reduce scratching and marring. It's not for everybody, but I'm OCD with my cars lol.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Yeah really - this isn't a type of vehicle thing - it's common sense. I REALLY HOPE the OP isn't getting a Tesla so he can put it on auto pilot to handle child issues - that's the worst idea in the history of bad ideas.
I am not using Autopilot to let the car drive itself, lol. I honestly have very little need for the Autopilots and Full Self Driving nannies of the Teslas of the world. I thought that was implied given I have driven a version of the R extensively prior to its own nannification in 2020, but to each his own. I simply need use of an extra hand or two when necessary which a manual shifter does not provide.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Thanks for the tip. Not very useful, though, considering you don't know my situation at all.

BostonCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R 2013 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
Sold my type R October 2020, I miss it from time to time but I don't regret selling it at all. Glad I got to enjoy it for 13 months and lose virtually no money. Next up... that new Z!

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Tesla isn’t really American because it doesn’t carry the reliability problems like other domestic cars have ?. Maybe it will from software ?. Maybe we are approaching the electric muscle era soon. Although I wouldn’t consider Tesla as muscle. Closer to electric sport because it can turn. What constitutes a muscle car? Being built specifically for drag or straight line pulls and nothing else? I grew up learning muscle cars have horrible handling because all the performance budget is spent on the engine. Is the current Camaro zl1 a muscle car or track car?
Sponsored