OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I thank the OP for their thoughts and comparison.

I did consider a model 3 around the time of purchasing my CTR. (I had the opportunity to get somebody's spot on the waiting list).

I've had experience driving the Model S and Model X (got a few Tesla cult members in the family). What I just can't get over when driving a tesla is the weight of it. Yes they are fast, but I can feel all that weight and it makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

I wish the OP had put their thoughts on a "value" comparison. Because that's what pushed me towards the Type R. It was so much more initial money to be put out for what amounts to a fast daily driver with a boring exterior and boring driving experience. I did consider the fuel and maintenance savings, but it still wasn't worth it in my opinion.
I definitely feel the weight of the Model 3 vs the R, and it's one of the downsides of the new vehicle in handling. I also agree I should have added a value comparison because my R essentially sold for what I paid for it (minus 1.3%) in exactly 2 years after I bought it. That's a fantastic hold of value, and I don't expect that sort of re-sale value from the Tesla. I lucked out and found a used Tesla in the exact specs I wanted, so I saved around $10K going that route for a car with only 9K miles on it. Still, the R is a value beast and it definitely wins. No matter how well the Teslas may hold their value compared to other vehicles, the R essentially doesn't lose any value which is silly (and great).
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Why so many people still hate when people have a difference of opinions? Bid the individual farewell and good luck (not good riddance) as they venture off to wherever life takes them. Bruh enjoy your new vehicle, it was obvious the Type R was not your cup of tea and that is ok. Be blessed be safe.
Thanks, man. Loved driving the R while I could but it didn't fit my lifestyle and I had to move on. C'est la vie! I think it's a great car and if I could afford to own both I would. But we all have to make choices in life, and this was one I had to make. I love both cars in different ways. What's so wrong about that, right?

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Lol. Good luck with the car. Washing the Type-R takes me 2-3 hours since I use 3 bucket method, foam cannon, blow dry off and apply more protection and wipe the whole car down.
I never regretted buying the R for any reason whatsoever, but once I handwashed the Tesla in 20 minutes (with another 5 minutes to dry), I immediately knew how much the aero impacted my wash time (and the pain in my arm). It's silly how long it takes to wash the R, and I have heard this from a handful of YouTube reviewers, too. For example, Joe Raiti from Raiti's Rides owned an R for a few months but hated how long it took to wash the thing. It's certainly a beast in the washing department.

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Thanks, man. Loved driving the R while I could but it didn't fit my lifestyle and I had to move on. C'est la vie! I think it's a great car and if I could afford to own both I would. But we all have to make choices in life, and this was one I had to make. I love both cars in different ways. What's so wrong about that, right?
Exactly. I don't get the mindset of some of these fan boys. I myself have been a Honda fanboy since my first Civic 16 years ago but, you know, maturity and shit. I would say it's the younger owners but that argument has proved false with other disagreements of the " Civic or die" owners I've had with the 10th gen community. I get it though, I've owned an old 2001 Civic EX that was gutted and turbo'd to roughly 210whp, a boosted RX8 to the tune of 350whp which was hysterically fun, , and a shitty little Miata that was basically unmatched in most ways. Driven a 400hp this and 700hp that but my current 2018 Si is what works best for me and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off. You enjoy yours and everyone else can eat shit bruh.

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
When they start reducing the time it takes to charge a battery, then id consider an electric vehicle. Too little charging stations need more efficient batteries.
I agree to a point, especially if it's not a Tesla. I don't do a ton of traveling, and once I started reading and recognizing that most of the charging is from home I took the plunge. My wife, son and I took our first "road trip" to my parents' house about 90 miles away. I charged the car up to full (310 miles of expected range), and once all was said and done I had about 80 miles left upon parking in my garage. That included some 0-60 pulls with my parents (who got to feel the Tesla's torque/power in a dig which drains the battery more) plus a side trip to a brewery with my wife since my parents took my son for the night. All told, we drove around 200 miles and lost about 230 miles of "range" from the car (in which the car's estimator clearly doesn't know how you are going to drive it).

I also wasn't interested in getting any other electric style vehicle other than a Tesla due to the Tesla SuperCharging capabilities. Their network of SuperChargers across the country makes it completely doable for any trip anywhere. And once I realized I could also plug my car into an RV spot for camping, that's when it made the decision easy for me to swap to an EV. Your mileage may vary, obviously, and I totally agree that your fears are founded with all other EV's. But Tesla has a lot of this stuff figured out and it's kindof cool!

chattanoogaR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Stinger
Country flag
Exactly. I don't get the mindset of some of these fan boys.
Not one person bashed this thread due to having an abundance of Honda love, they were all pretty critical of the beyond stupid (and hopefully sarcastic) thread title. On top of that, the dude had a pretty silly comparison of the two vehicles that led many seasoned car guys on here to slay him a little.

If you create a troll post, you have to be able to take a little abuse.

lhughes21

First Name
Levi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2010 F150 XLT 5.4L
Country flag
I did not expect that! Thought it would be a Charger/Challenger, something like that lol

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
I like Teslas. I was on the waiting list for a Model 3 when I bought my CTR, and a few years ago I test drove a Model S with the performance package that blew away my preconceived notions about what electric cars could do. But the CTR and the Model 3 are completely different beasts, and calling the Model 3 a "muscle car" is kinda ridiculous. And if we're comparing, it would help to mention price - the Model 3 performance starts over 50k and goes up from there.

Again, I like Teslas and could see myself owning one at some point. But if you think the driving experience in a Model 3 compares favorably to the CTR, then we have very different ideas about driving and what we want in a car.
I have to disagree a bit. I DO think the Tesla Model 3 Performance is a muscle car. It's just changing the way people think and consider what a muscle car is. The Model 3 can beat a Dodge Challenger Hellcat pretty easily in a 0-60. I think the Tesla Model 3's and Model S's are the new modern American muscle cars, and while some may disagree, I think in time the perspective of history will be on my side once gasoline vehicles are nearing extinction (which may be sooner than later).

That aside, you are absolutely right that these are completely different beasts. I only compared them because I owned them and was cross-shopping to a degree (and I am apparently not alone as I have seen a few posts of people considering both vehicles for various reasons). I got my 2020 Model 3 Performance used for $49K (9K miles) and bought the new R in 2019 for $36K. I lost about $500 total on the R in two years of ownership (minus the mods which I hope to sell at a later date), and I certainly don't expect that incredibly small level of depreciation on the Tesla. So the R absolutely wins from a value standpoint. Sometimes it's not just about value but rather what a person needs in a given moment in time, though. That's why I went with the Tesla.

Many thanks for the comment, and while I disagree on our perception of what a modern muscle car is, I definitely appreciate your thoughts and ideas.

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Not one person bashed this thread due to having an abundance of Honda love, they were all pretty critical of the beyond stupid (and hopefully sarcastic) thread title. On top of that, the dude had a pretty silly comparison of the two vehicles that led many seasoned car guys on here to slay him a little.

I feel I'm right in saying that WE ALL thought it was going to be some kind of gas powered v8 with "muscle car" in the title but it wasn't. Intentional or not it was his comparison of the two he owned showing the differences, not comparable in any manner aside from they're two completely different cars and which of the two was suitable for his current situation and wants. There were a few comments from people showing displeasure cuz they thought it was this or that but once again, regardless of what the title states, who cares?

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag

I'm not hurt by anything that's been said. I made a post title about a muscle car and ended up admitting it was a Tesla. I DO think a Tesla is the modern American muscle car, but I completely understand if that doesn't meet your pre-reqs for what a muscle car is. No worries and I'll take my lumps if you disagree. That doesn't change my opinion, and all I am trying to do is challenge your own opinion of what an American muscle car is. Maybe people don't want to be challenged in that realm, and that's fine. No harm, no foul. I appreciate the takes, even the seemingly harsh ones, as it really lets me know how people feel about Teslas overall in the gasoline enthusiast community.

Seasoned and salty car guys aside, I really enjoy both vehicles and thank you for the assist in understanding what was going on.

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
def trolling a little bit and it's working lol
Honestly and genuinely not trying to troll. Just trying to challenge the preconceptions of what an American muscle car is or may be. Your mileage may vary!

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
I absolutely LOVE the NSX, and if I wasn't married with a 2-year-old, this is the car I would've purchased. What a helluva beautiful vehicle you've got there.
I really appreciate it....my dream came true!
Sponsored