Sold the R and bought an American muscle car

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Enjoy rowing the gears and spinning the tyres of your new RWD manual muscle car.

Oh wait, nope. You bought an appliance. They're still cool and I have no hate on the Model 3, but to call it something it isn't is disingenuous at best, and trolling at worst.
Sponsored

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
I like Teslas. I was on the waiting list for a Model 3 when I bought my CTR, and a few years ago I test drove a Model S with the performance package that blew away my preconceived notions about what electric cars could do. But the CTR and the Model 3 are completely different beasts, and calling the Model 3 a "muscle car" is kinda ridiculous. And if we're comparing, it would help to mention price - the Model 3 performance starts over 50k and goes up from there.

Again, I like Teslas and could see myself owning one at some point. But if you think the driving experience in a Model 3 compares favorably to the CTR, then we have very different ideas about driving and what we want in a car.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
When they start reducing the time it takes to charge a battery, then id consider an electric vehicle. Too little charging stations need more efficient batteries.

frodooftheshire

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 WRX series gray
Country flag
Lol. Good luck with the car. Washing the Type-R takes me 2-3 hours since I use 3 bucket method, foam cannon, blow dry off and apply more protection and wipe the whole car down.
thank you! Reading online about how people wash their cars in like 20-40 mins and I’l like how in the hell is that remotely possible?!?! I easily take 2.5-3 hours

CTR39322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 CTR(sold) DE5 Acura Integra
Country flag
These cars are completely different, don’t know why people are comparing them. Also let us know in several years a comparison of how the R holds its value vs the Tesla. For me, I don’t care how fast a electric car is, Im not ready to be plugging in my car like a appliance.

DHM85

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si
Country flag
Why so many people still hate when people have a difference of opinions? Bid the individual farewell and good luck (not good riddance) as they venture off to wherever life takes them. Bruh enjoy your new vehicle, it was obvious the Type R was not your cup of tea and that is ok. Be blessed be safe.

FifStreet

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 PMM Civic Type R '07 MR Fit Sport (RIP)
Country flag
I thank the OP for their thoughts and comparison.

I did consider a model 3 around the time of purchasing my CTR. (I had the opportunity to get somebody's spot on the waiting list).

I've had experience driving the Model S and Model X (got a few Tesla cult members in the family). What I just can't get over when driving a tesla is the weight of it. Yes they are fast, but I can feel all that weight and it makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

I wish the OP had put their thoughts on a "value" comparison. Because that's what pushed me towards the Type R. It was so much more initial money to be put out for what amounts to a fast daily driver with a boring exterior and boring driving experience. I did consider the fuel and maintenance savings, but it still wasn't worth it in my opinion.

hpbyhermann

First Name
Hermann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Championship white Type R #25133, 09' Civic SI sedan, black 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 2004 Mustang Cobra
Country flag
Buy what you want! It's your money! Enjoy it! I still love my FK8 and it will be staying! I wanted another performance car and went for it. Variety is good too.?

Honda Civic 10th gen Sold the R and bought an American muscle car F1EFE548-7D0B-4418-8FF8-8B93C0AFDE5B

Honda Civic 10th gen Sold the R and bought an American muscle car EBE28538-EB28-4BDD-98B9-E486B142DF68

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
These cars are completely different, don’t know why people are comparing them. Also let us know in several years a comparison of how the R holds its value vs the Tesla. For me, I don’t care how fast a electric car is, Im not ready to be plugging in my car like a appliance.
I definitely lose out on trade value. The R basically held it's exact value from when I purchased it (and I even sold to Carvana). I lost about 1.3% in total value (and I also paid MSRP) for the R, and there's no way I expect anything close to that on my Tesla (although I did buy gently used so I got rid of some of the depreciation immediately).

As for why I compared them, I am not really comparing them for any other reason than these are the two cars I owned and it seemed a fun analysis. I watch a YouTube channel called Throttle House which compares tons of dissimilar vehicles all the time, and it's a fun bit. I'm not trying to cause anyone heartache and I certainly think that both cars have their strengths (which are completely different). But that's part of the reason I moved onto a different vehicle.

Thanks for the thoughts, and I hope you continue enjoying your badass R!

OP
OP
Bodhizefa

Bodhizefa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR and CBP CR-V
Country flag
Buy what you want! It's your money! Enjoy it! I still love my FK8 and it will be staying! I wanted another performance car and went for it. Variety is good too.?

F1EFE548-7D0B-4418-8FF8-8B93C0AFDE5B.png

EBE28538-EB28-4BDD-98B9-E486B142DF68.png
I absolutely LOVE the NSX, and if I wasn't married with a 2-year-old, this is the car I would've purchased. What a helluva beautiful vehicle you've got there.