So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot?

ski-line900

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I bought an '18 Sport Touring recently, black, they had taken it through an auto car wash who knows how many times. There were water spots and clear coat scratches all over and we think it was parked next to a sprinkler.

I didn't trust them and had a detailing shop polish them out and install clear bra. It should've been perfect on delivery but I just paid to have it fixed by a shop I trust.

The less time it's on the lot, the better.
Sponsored

AndyAndromeda-AUS

AndyAndromeda
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 10th Gen - Vti-LX (Australia)
Country flag
Definitely go through all of it. When I bought my 18 type r, I looked the car over pretty good but, for whatever reason, I didnt even look in the hatch area. On the drive home I heard rattling in the hatch area so right when I got it home, I looked in the hatch. I noticed the carpet where the sub woofer is was all cut up, the speaker grill was damaged, and there were missing screws on the speaker itself. I suppose maybe the car was getting detailed by the back gate of the dealer and the detailer stepped away and some hoodlum saw an opportunity for snatch and run. Anyhow, I called the dealer right away and they fixed it but they could have played hard ball and refused. I got lucky I guess so definitely check everything out.

Update: added pics of the issue
signal-2018-08-14-115838.jpg

signal-2018-08-14-115845.jpg
Only in America!

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Okay, so I had a nice break from work where I was able to check it out for the first time.

I did a quick drive-around being able to use all gears, performed an elaborate walk-around, sat in every seat, checked the headlights, windows & sunroof, fiddled with the radio and Bluetooth, and pretty much gave the green light that they can start installing the console illumination, secure in the trunk mat (they better not charge for an "install" on that!), and I convinced them to also swap in the OEM Touring headlights I bought as well!

I get to pick it up later today, and when I get home I'll try and put in my clear side markers. I'll wait on a later date for the fog light swap, and on Sunday afternoon I'm going to get it washed and waxed. I tell ya what, she'll definitely need a wash! I actually also forgot to check the manufacture date on the door panel, but I'll check that one out later.

Thanks for everyone helping me out here! I have yet to pay or "drive it out of the lot," but I think it's pretty much all but that for me at this point!

chardonnay

First Name
tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda touring 2018
Man, that is savage. I would have been freaking out by now. As long as the bluetooth guts are in the head unit, then this would indeed be the best option to try first. Regardless, if you can show that it isn't working on your car but will with another one that is on the lot, then you REALLY have them... Or have a friend with a Civic with the 7 inch screen in it to show them at service.
I have had no luck with that. The ones in the lot are bad but its when I am driving it gets completely impossible to hear. I have been to the dealership DOW honda and they won't even return the calls to Honda Canada about my car at this point. So have given Honda Canada until end of day today- When I called for the 4th time in three weeks they said the person is working on it (I bought this car early October) SO now going to CAMVAP (Canadian motor vehicle arbitration Plan) to try to get something done. SO sad- I was beyond excited to own a honda and its by far the worst car I have had in my life- and I owned a PONY. Thanks for the information.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
I only cared when the decals were crap looking from my dealership. They are quite subtle now so I don't mind them.

dealer logo.jpg
Why would you want to give them FREE advertising?
Did they give you a free car? :D

Keep in mind when that gets old and cracking and nasty looking and it comes off or you take it off, the paint will be faded underneath........I'd take it off asap.
Sponsored