So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot?

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
While doing the paperwork they bring the car to a window near you. Then start racking up the price with stuff you don’t need. They bring the car to the window so that you stare at it and imagine yourself in it while they do the “go talk to the finance guy” bullshit. So that even if they come back with a 7% interest you’ll accept. I don’t fall for those tricks. When they bring the car to the window, I turn around and give my back to it. I only inspect it before I make the decision to buy. I look at reasonable things, I can look deep enough and always find an issue with any car, so looking deep enough would leave me car-less.
Sponsored

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV Touring, 2017 Civic EX Sedan Honda Sensing
Country flag
I go so far as to write this stipulation into the sales contract.
A plate frame is dick all for me to remove. I don’t sweat those.
I only cared when the decals were crap looking from my dealership. They are quite subtle now so I don't mind them.

Honda Civic 10th gen So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot? dealer logo

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Check the tire pressures.

Mine were all over the place. I think one was still at 45 psi. I refilled them to their correct pressures and told the service department the next morning about it.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Check the tire pressures.

Mine were all over the place. I think one was still at 45 psi. I refilled them to their correct pressures and told the service department the next morning about it.
What should it be at? 31-32 psi?

Lola

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I usually fart horrendously in the finance dude’s office so that he gets me the hell out of there quick. Then I drive my brand new car home.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
What should it be at? 31-32 psi?
For the hatchbacks, the door jamb sticker says 34 front/32 rear. I'd do the same pressures with the coupe and sedan, too, since the weight distribution is basically the same (don't know why their stickers say otherwise).

chardonnay

First Name
tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda touring 2018
Never bought a car for myself to know what it's like to just pay and ride away.

You obviously want to make sure the car operates as intended. What do you as the driver/new owner do to inspect it to make sure things are up to snuff, or what does the dealer do to assist you with this? Like do they have a checklist or something? Do you "test drive it" before waving your last goodbye to them? Do they walk you through everything to note that everything is all accounted for?

Just wondering. I don't want to return home to figure out something is defective and have them say I'm responsible.

chardonnay

First Name
tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda touring 2018
I just purchased a 2018 Touring in October and did not test the Bluetooth system before I left the lot. When I call people they cannot hear me or it sounds like I am in a very loud crowded tunnel. The dealership cannot repair this and said they are all pretty much like that- not terribly clear. Also the system for the phone/radio freezes periodically. The dealership can do nothing for it or me. So that is definitely something to test before you leave. Its very disheartening not being able to call people on my brand new car. I drove it off the lot and I am stuck with it. So definitely test your car out before you leave!!!

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Also the system for the phone/radio freezes periodically. The dealership can do nothing for it or me.
Now this is dumb. That is all in that head unit so they should just swap that sucker for a new one under warranty. I would be pitching a fit if it was locking up. I know that the 2016 to 2018 units are SLOW but I have never had mine lock up.

chardonnay

First Name
tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda touring 2018
Now this is dumb. That is all in that head unit so they should just swap that sucker for a new one under warranty. I would be pitching a fit if it was locking up. I know that the 2016 to 2018 units are SLOW but I have never had mine lock up.
I have been "pitching a fit" lol my dealership won't do anything saying all tourings have bad sound systems for Bluetooth and that they are asking for a software fix for the freezing but so far there isn't any. I have gone to Honda Canada about this as people say not to leave them a message because they cant even understand what I am saying on the Bluetooth. Dealer say they are all the same so can't do anything. Would head unit swap fix the Bluetooth quality?

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Would head unit swap fix the Bluetooth quality?
In theory if it is an issue isolated to your car, yes. I have an EX so the only thing I am missing compared to yours is XMS and Honda Navigation. I have used the hands free calling via my phone many times and never had anyone say they couldn't hear me. From a troubleshooting perspective, the next questions I would have of you are:

1. What phone OS are you using? Apple IOS or Android (Or possibly just a simple phone with bluetooth?)
  2. If IOS or Android, what version of the OS?
  3. If Android, which hardware manufacturer and what model of device?
  4. Have you only used bluetooth with the car or have you used Apple Carplay/Android Auto to place calls?
  5. When the head unit locks up, does it restart on its own or do you have to press and hold the power "button" at the top left of the panel to get it to restart? (Or is it a worst case and your car has to be restarted to wake it up?)

So, ya, certainly a few clarification questions but when answered, they should make it far easier to know where the fault likely is.

vladucard

First Name
Caspian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Also the system for the phone/radio freezes periodically.
Good to know I'm not the only one who has this happen. At first I thought it was my phone or the music APP but it wasn't. Maybe swapping out the radio (once I have the money for that) will help. It's really annoying when I'm driving and my music just stops for no reason. Also annoying when I'm skipping songs and it randomly disconnects from bluetooth :mad::mad:

chardonnay

First Name
tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
honda touring 2018
In theory if it is an issue isolated to your car, yes. I have an EX so the only thing I am missing compared to yours is XMS and Honda Navigation. I have used the hands free calling via my phone many times and never had anyone say they couldn't hear me. From a troubleshooting perspective, the next questions I would have of you are:

1. What phone OS are you using? Apple IOS or Android (Or possibly just a simple phone with bluetooth?)
  2. If IOS or Android, what version of the OS?
  3. If Android, which hardware manufacturer and what model of device?
  4. Have you only used bluetooth with the car or have you used Apple Carplay/Android Auto to place calls?
  5. When the head unit locks up, does it restart on its own or do you have to press and hold the power "button" at the top left of the panel to get it to restart? (Or is it a worst case and your car has to be restarted to wake it up?)

So, ya, certainly a few clarification questions but when answered, they should make it far easier to know where the fault likely is.
I have an iPhone and have updated to the latest IOS. The system freezes where you have to turn off the car open the door then restart. It is more the bad Bluetooth that is my big problem. I cannot even leave a message for people as they cannot understand me- whether on carplay or not. Still no help from Honda but I am not giving up. I am asking for a head unit replacement thanks to your advice.

frontlinegeek

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am asking for a head unit replacement thanks to your advice.
Man, that is savage. I would have been freaking out by now. As long as the bluetooth guts are in the head unit, then this would indeed be the best option to try first. Regardless, if you can show that it isn't working on your car but will with another one that is on the lot, then you REALLY have them... Or have a friend with a Civic with the 7 inch screen in it to show them at service.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Okay, so my car has arrived at the dealership! I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Fingers crossed that it's in terrific condition and I check over everything appropriately!
Sponsored