So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot?

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Never bought a car for myself to know what it's like to just pay and ride away.

You obviously want to make sure the car operates as intended. What do you as the driver/new owner do to inspect it to make sure things are up to snuff, or what does the dealer do to assist you with this? Like do they have a checklist or something? Do you "test drive it" before waving your last goodbye to them? Do they walk you through everything to note that everything is all accounted for?

Just wondering. I don't want to return home to figure out something is defective and have them say I'm responsible.
Sponsored

BoxsterSteve

still plays with cars...
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Porsche Boxster S, 2018 Civic Touring sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Depends...
New or used?
New cars will have a multi year warranty, so it’s more of a “sit in the car and learn the controls and features” deal when picking it up.
On a used vehicle purchase, I’ve always given the car a very thorough going-over and usually have a mechanic look it over first before taking delivery as it’s often older and sometimes warranty-less.
When I bought the Boxster, it was an 11 year old vehicle and it went to a brand specific independent mechanic for a top to bottom PPI.
I didn’t want to deal with unexpected repairs or have anything to bite me in the ass. Found a couple of small items which gave me some leverage on the asking price.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Fully inspect the exterior during the daytime before purchase if possible. Wouldn't want a bunch of micro-scratches you can't see until the next morning.

They may walk you through customizing a few things electronically - but that's dealer to dealer.

Anything else, it's under warranty, don't sweat it.

Deezy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Sedan 6MT (FC2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You are pretty much required by the dealer to test drive the car before you buy it. Even if it's just for a spin around the parking lot. Your salesperson will go over all of the features and answer any questions you have. They have a checklist to make sure you know how to pair your phone for handsfree and Bluetooth use. What did you decide on?

NUshek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan EX-T 6MT
Country flag
I just went through this a few months ago when i purchased my car. Agree with others. I did a test drive before signing all the paperwork. Also did a walk-around to inspect exterior. My dealer did have a checklist walking me through electronics, etc and setting up phone. As others said, you have the multi-year warranty so any major things will be covered.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
Definitely go through all of it. When I bought my 18 type r, I looked the car over pretty good but, for whatever reason, I didnt even look in the hatch area. On the drive home I heard rattling in the hatch area so right when I got it home, I looked in the hatch. I noticed the carpet where the sub woofer is was all cut up, the speaker grill was damaged, and there were missing screws on the speaker itself. I suppose maybe the car was getting detailed by the back gate of the dealer and the detailer stepped away and some hoodlum saw an opportunity for snatch and run. Anyhow, I called the dealer right away and they fixed it but they could have played hard ball and refused. I got lucky I guess so definitely check everything out.

Update: added pics of the issue
Honda Civic 10th gen So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot? signal-2018-08-14-115838

Honda Civic 10th gen So you just bought a car at the dealership. What all do you do before you leave the lot? signal-2018-08-14-115845

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What did you decide on?
2019 Civic Si Sedan (modern steel metallic).

I won't be getting it until the end of the month or start of the next, but I was just curious. I'll pretty much literally be getting it right off the delivery truck, so I hope there won't be any massive issues of any sort.

The moment I get it though, I'll be changing the headlights (the actual housing, not just the bulbs), fog lights and side markers (including LED strips instead of the bulb). I sure hope that doesn't violate any warranty concerns heh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Definitely go through all of it. When I bought my 18 type r, I looked the car over pretty good but, for whatever reason, I didnt even look in the hatch area. On the drive home I heard rattling in the hatch area so right when I got it home, I looked in the hatch. I noticed the carpet where the sub woofer is was all cut up, the speaker grill was damaged, and there were missing screws on the speaker itself. I suppose maybe the car was getting detailed by the back gate of the dealer and the detailer stepped away and some hoodlum saw an opportunity for snatch and run. Anyhow, I called the dealer right away and they fixed it but they could have played hard ball and refused. I got lucky I guess so definitely check everything out.

Update: added pics of the issue
signal-2018-08-14-115838.jpg

signal-2018-08-14-115845.jpg
How big is the car's subwoofer, by the way? I'm thinking of getting an upgraded one, and if it could fit inside that cabinet I suppose that would be optimal to save trunk space and make it look clean. Any other aftermarket subs that could fit in there and really sound any better (for rock music)?

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
Check the paint and body REAL GOOD.......many cars have paint defects or body damage/paint scratches from the long shipping procedure.
Some of these cars sit in storage yards and are moved around for months before they're shipped to a dealer.
Some cars have what they call "rail dust" in the paint and make the paint feel real rough and need to be detailed.

OP
OP
MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Check the paint and body REAL GOOD.......many cars have paint defects or body damage/paint scratches from the long shipping procedure.
Some of these cars sit in storage yards and are moved around for months before they're shipped to a dealer.
Some cars have what they call "rail dust" in the paint and make the paint feel real rough and need to be detailed.
So what does it mean if my car is "being built" or something at this time, then? Are they just making that up?

I'm curious because I plan on getting my car clay-barred and ceramic coated, but if it hasn't had enough time to cure then maybe I shouldn't do that just yet... but if it's been sitting around then I guess it's not that big of an issue.

That being said, I will be getting it treated and the like so that may be fine regardless.

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
So what does it mean if my car is "being built" or something at this time, then? Are they just making that up?

I'm curious because I plan on getting my car clay-barred and ceramic coated, but if it hasn't had enough time to cure then maybe I shouldn't do that just yet... but if it's been sitting around then I guess it's not that big of an issue.

That being said, I will be getting it treated and the like so that may be fine regardless.
Being built means just that.
There's a "manufactured date" on the drivers door frame sticker that tells you when it was built.
I'd wait a couple months after that to seal the paint, it takes awhile for the paint to fully cure underneath, especially if it's cold temps.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
what does the dealer do to assist you with this? Like do they have a checklist or something?
Yes, they should give you a paper called PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) and Final Delivery Checklist. My dealer gave me one, after signing all the papers. This contains the main extensive part done when they receive the car, and a smaller part to be done at delivery to customer . In my case the Final Inspection was not formally checked and signed.
If they did all the PDI as it should be done, the car should be perfect. But sometimes they may just check every box whether done or not.

For example it says "[ Check] Install body plugs. " So go under the car and see if all body plugs are in place.:D
Or it says "[Check] Check wheel nut torque." So bring a torque wrench :D and verify 80 lb*ft (except Type R) so that the wheels don't fall off when you drive home. Also check the battery with a tester. Check whether the vehicle tracks straight and the steering wheel is centered. And so on. Finally check body fit and alignment. Paint finish for dings, dents, scratches and blemishes.

A thorough check of all systems will take you a couple hours... o_O. Even if you already signed and paid, it's much easier to ask for fixes or any missing items before you leave the lot.

Superfly

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R / 2018 Civic Si Sedan / 2018 Civic Si Coupe / 2018 Acccord 2.0 Touring / 2001 S2000
Country flag
Took a few pictures, shook some hands and off to get something to eat.
Sponsored