So, you can finally replace the radio in your 2016+ EX and above...

Syntek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PWP Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Tempting. I'm getting pretty sick of my factory head unit, if this allows me to run any head unit while still retaining factory settings and adjustability then i might go in on this.

Been eyeing a few head units with wireless Android auto ??
Sponsored

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I've got the S20 FE, and it has no problem connecting to the Civic head unit.

As much as I don't want to keep throwing money at the Civic, I put a sub in the Fit yesterday and it now sounds noticeably better than even my half replaced Si system. I know I should try Viper4android, but I'm not really good with fancy equalizer settings. Tempting to just replace the whole thing.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Had this retro kit been available a few months ago, I would have bought it and left the Fit stereo stock, and put the Alpine in the Civic. Kicking myself a little bit, but it would be way too much trouble to tear everything out again.

Looking through the instructions and trying to figure out how it would work for me- it says you need a separate thing to run it in a car with the factory amp, but I don't know if I can ignore that and just bypass the amp completely and have the rest of the kit work the same. Hope they're good at answering email questions...

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Going to paste my exchange with Metra here, minus the names- I don't know that they would have a problem with me sharing their contact info, but I tend towards caution generally.

My question-
"Hello, I'm looking at the 99-7821B kit for a 2018 Civic Si. I know the instructions say I need another adapter to interface with the factory amp, but my goal with your kit would be to bypass the amp entirely. I've already spliced into the factory amp output wires for another amp, not happy with the results, but I can get to the speaker level wiring with no trouble.

My question is, can I run this kit and have everything aside from the audio function normally, i.e. climate control, camera signal, steering wheel controls, etc, as if it was an EX without the factory amp and associated adapter?

This probably sounds like an overly simple question once you've looked at the back of the Si and base head units to understand all the connections, but I don't have access to the base one and figured a real answer from you would be better than my guessing."

And their answer-
" Thank you for contacting Metra tech support. Our kit should work fine if you are simply bypassing the factory amp. One thing to consider is you might lose chimes if the factory amplifier produces the chimes in your vehicle and you are bypassing it. That would be something to keep in mind. You could test that by simply disconnecting the factory amp and seeing if chimes are lost. Otherwise our kit will retain all other functions."

OP
OP
kperalta

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Going to paste my exchange with Metra here, minus the names- I don't know that they would have a problem with me sharing their contact info, but I tend towards caution generally.

My question-
"Hello, I'm looking at the 99-7821B kit for a 2018 Civic Si. I know the instructions say I need another adapter to interface with the factory amp, but my goal with your kit would be to bypass the amp entirely. I've already spliced into the factory amp output wires for another amp, not happy with the results, but I can get to the speaker level wiring with no trouble.

My question is, can I run this kit and have everything aside from the audio function normally, i.e. climate control, camera signal, steering wheel controls, etc, as if it was an EX without the factory amp and associated adapter?

This probably sounds like an overly simple question once you've looked at the back of the Si and base head units to understand all the connections, but I don't have access to the base one and figured a real answer from you would be better than my guessing."

And their answer-
" Thank you for contacting Metra tech support. Our kit should work fine if you are simply bypassing the factory amp. One thing to consider is you might lose chimes if the factory amplifier produces the chimes in your vehicle and you are bypassing it. That would be something to keep in mind. You could test that by simply disconnecting the factory amp and seeing if chimes are lost. Otherwise our kit will retain all other functions."
With the current head unit, all nav and warnings come out of the center speaker. The nav and stuff won’t matter, because the new head unit will put it in the front channel. As far as other chimes go I’m not sure. The only chimes I know of are when someone in the front doesn’t have their seatbelt on, key not in car, and maintenance. Nothing too big.

kostas

First Name
Kostas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch 1.5 Sport Plus
Country flag
This could be great for anyone who doesn't like the tuning of the factory amp- I'm still not happy with my attempts to get decent sound out of the Si system. I already have an adequate amp, but no idea what I'd use for a head unit. I have an Alpine ilx-w650 in my Fit, and the door speakers running directly from it still sound better than the Civic. Sometimes it doesn't like to work with a Samsung phone, though.
Aftermarket HU from Joying. It works like a charm!
I used the optical out to a DSP and then amp.
The sound? A M A Z I N G !

OP
OP
kperalta

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Aftermarket HU from Joying. It works like a charm!
I used the optical out to a DSP and then amp.
The sound? A M A Z I N G !
For an aftermarket like that, this kit won’t be necessary. There is a product that’ll take a normal aftermarket and give it an optical out, but I’m working and don’t know what it’s called.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I don't know if I trust the various Chinese options, I'd rather be able to put a standard double DIN unit in there and have known good quality control and customer service. Not criticizing anyone who's installed one of them, just saying my preferences are different.

OP
OP
kperalta

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
UPDATE:
Previously, I mentioned a product that converts analog signal from aftermarket radios to to digital. I had heard of the product, but didn’t do much research.

The signal from the radio in our cars to the factory amplifier, is digital. That’s one of the biggest issues these companies have run into in the past. During my time as an installer, I’ve only ever seen Metra create analog to digital interfaces within their kits, as they’ve done with our cars.

The new product I’ve discovered isn’t a standalone, it’s an add on to the Maestro RR, which to be honest is the kit I’m dying for for our cars. I’ve mentioned how they’re lagging. With the revelation of this product, they may be closer than they’re letting on. Many, many cars are going the digital route, so it only makes sense they finally do it.

Another option on the market will make this so much more better.

Andruboine

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I apologize if this has already been discussed here. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, please delete if need be.

If this kit works, it's a game changer. Maybe the other companies will finally kick it into gear now that they'll be losing money. The only company that directly integrates factory stuff into the new radio display, that I've seen anyways, is the aforementioned ADSMaestro, but we'll see if they ever take us seriously... Cause for now they're prioritizing the ever more popular Chrysler Pacifica (sarcasm).

There was a thread where this was mentioned where someone had conversations with metra.

If you have a type r you don't have access to change rev match.

OP
OP
kperalta

kperalta

AluminiumCivic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
There was a thread where this was mentioned where someone had conversations with metra.

If you have a type r you don't have access to change rev match.
Great to know! Sucks they still can’t cover all bases

MrStix

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Curious to know if anyone has tried the Metra Dash Kit with the new Oversized aftermarket head units. Kenwood, Pioneer, etc seem to be packing all their features into that new design. I’m not sure if it’s just a fad, but I kind of like it.
But there are limited pictures of this kit installed, and all of them seem to have the smaller 6”-7” screens flush mounted.
Just don’t want it to look silly or block any buttons on the lower screen or vents..

aegean_fc4

First Name
Shavida
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic LX-P coupe
Country flag
I don't know if I trust the various Chinese options, I'd rather be able to put a standard double DIN unit in there and have known good quality control and customer service. Not criticizing anyone who's installed one of them, just saying my preferences are different.
I have to agree with @kostas. I have an android head unit as well and the customer service has been excellent. Plug and play. I only have an LX BUT they have different harnesses for every trim. A fraction of the cost of big names and way more functionality. I’m not an audio junkie by any means but the quality drastically improved on my stock speakers. Can’t wait to swap those out to see an even bigger difference.

Honda Civic 10th gen So, you can finally replace the radio in your 2016+ EX and above... 009B51FB-20F8-4BCA-AEF7-A3E29B1F1752
Sponsored