So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic?

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's not a winter or long/short drive issue. I rarely drive my civic and my wife drives highway miles every day. During spring summer warm/hot months and the issue is still 100% there. During the winter I remote start my vehicle to warm it up good before I travel. Honda just needs to own up and take care of everyone. ;) Stop making excuses.
If you're honestly concerned about it, run a UOA and post it for the community to digest. I would suggest an engine block heater vs. the method you're using. Honda reportedly uses a rich cold start cycle which is probably why your dilution is so high.

Can one of you carrying the pitch forks please tell me how the fuel in your oil is hurting your car? I want one of you to produce an honest scientific answer.
Quoted for emphasis.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not much scientific answer; just FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt):

- Can we agree that fuel in oil shouldn't happen in the ideal situation? In other words, I don't think Honda designed the engine that way.
Fuel dilution is a part of a turbo charged direct injected engine. Every manufacturer that makes a TCDI motor has fuel dilution in the oil.

- Long term effects of fuel in oil is unknown. Conventional wisdom would suggest quicker wear in engine components. Anyway, "unknown" doesn't sit well with paying customers.
The effect of fuel being present in oil is not new. Back in the 60s-70s when muscle cars were everywhere it was a rampant issue. People pouring as much fuel out of their carburetors as they could to make power. Back then oil was not near as good as it is these days. People countered the viscosity drops by changing their oil very frequently. The same thing applies today. Change your oil at proper intervals and there is no issue with fuel being there. We have lots of documented proof of this.

- Related to above, I'd argue that most Civic owner bought a Civic because they want a car that lasts long with minimal fuss. That reputation is about to be ruined because 1) it's unknown how the engine will last, and 2) more maintenance is required... in a Civic.
1)Every new motor is in question with "how long will it last". That's a terrible argument. 2)There is no extra maintenance.

- It took Honda a while to even acknowledge the problem. A fix is supposed to be released in November, but that is for the CRV only. How about the 1.5T in Civic? Accord?
I call this the Samsung Note 7 mentality. People hear about phones "exploding" and lose their minds. When in reality only 39 out of 2,000,000+ phones sold had issues with the batteries over-heating. Samsung couldn't even replicate the issues. They were forced with a choice. Give in and satisfy all the uninformed people screaming about a non-issue or deal with the bad publicity.

Honda is doing the same thing. There isn't a "software update" that can fix the problem of fuel dilution. Honda is doing this to make uninformed people feel better about a non-issue. I'd love to know what's included in that update.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
One aspect of Oil Dilution I find somewhat Ironic.

Honda has gone to great trouble to make the new Civics as light as possible to get the highest MPG they can get ...(no spare tire, metal panels thinner that coke cans etc etc)

And then they tell the owner to stay on Low gear for a time when starting a journey, (To heat things up quickly and drive off the Gas from the Oil Dilution), thus reducing that MPG that has taken so much "trimming down" to achieve !!

nothome17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 is 350 F
Country flag
Owners will just have to deal with the quirk until Honda comes up with a solution.

Honda's history shows that it takes a few years to fix an issue. Example 3rd gear grind, took years for them to change their transmission fluid. Owners just had to deal with the quirk like using GM syncromesh, redline, purple etc..

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EXT Civic & 2017 Civic ExT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No you are wrong. My dilution isn't high today because I warmed my car last winter 7 months ago. Fuel in your oil is a manufactures defect. In no way can anyone possible blame normal everyday use and excuse what's going on. It's just that simple. ;)

If you're honestly concerned about it, run a UOA and post it for the community to digest. I would suggest an engine block heater vs. the method you're using. Honda reportedly uses a rich cold start cycle which is probably why your dilution is so high.

Quoted for emphasis.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's a bunch of bs. Claims of this issue related to winter cold starts is totally wrong. In Ohio it's been above 32F since April. I changed two civics oil in May. 6 months later both had high levels of fuel in the oil. Nice song and dance but it's incorrect info.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess irrational unfounded conclusions are all we're going to get here. I've tried to be as scientific and clear as I can be with this, but apparently people like @HondaPro would rather just ignore facts and stay raged.

Educate yourselves people... Don't just believe something you don't fully understand because you saw a headline or somebody said something. This applies to everything in life.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yep just a conclusion.. ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen So who’s actually confirmed having gas in their oil in their Civic? 6tnw2f-

I guess irrational unfounded conclusions are all we're going to get here. I've tried to be as scientific and clear as I can be with this, but apparently people like @HondaPro would rather just ignore facts and stay raged.

Educate yourselves people... Don't just believe something you don't fully understand because you saw a headline or somebody said something. This applies to everything in life.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag
Looking forward to warranty extension on my Canadian Civic 1.5L even though I don't see excessive fuel dilution.:D

Tbh, this is some rather quick response from an automaker. Humanity has seen worse treatment from automakers.

civicdabest-foo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic x 1.5L turbo CVT
Country flag

Agree 100%. As someone who has worked in a large company that makes products and seen the media write stories about the product before its release, I know that the media reports can be wildly inaccurate.

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
Looking forward to warranty extension on my Canadian Civic 1.5L even though I don't see excessive fuel dilution.:D

Tbh, this is some rather quick response from an automaker. Humanity has seen worse treatment from automakers.
Depends on where you live, in the UK Honda have denied any reports of this problem and say they are not aware of any problems on the 1.5T engine ..... I have the emails from them stating this. I will let you all draw your own conclusions.

HondaPro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The consumer reports noted in the article that Honda refunded a 2018 CRV owner that filed a Lemon Law case.

Well, they're fix it right? Presumably after the fix the problem will be lessened.
Sponsored