SO - What's the single WORST feature of your Civicx?

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback 2019 Ford Ranger S-crew
Country flag
love driving the wifes EX HB but there are a few things...mostly have been mentioned already...
sandpaper arm-rest material is a bit weird for me...I just throw a towel on the rest.
washing the car is a severe PITA with all the nooks and crannies to was and then dry.
me fitting in the seat...it takes a bit for me to get comfortable...the side bolsters just feel like they are pinching me. this is a civic not a rally car...

other than that...we love it.
Sponsored

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
The cloth trim on models with it. As noted by others, it is like sandpaper and will take skin off like it is exfoliating. So it never hurts but you eventually build up skin on the cloth where either your hand or elbow goes. My friend has an LX and I noticed the other day that there is no cloth on the door panels in his. I would upgrade to a leather interior to avoid that. (READ: I should have sucked it up and got the touring).

Outside of that, the only things I have to say about the car in general regardless of trim level:

• There is no good place for your sunglasses that is easily/safely reached from the driving position. If you put it on the tray under the screen, it is now in the way of your phone or vice versa.
  • They clearly designed the phone tray for early gen iPhones because it is SMALL. Even my old Galaxy S4 in a case was constantly flying out when I accelerated. My new S9 is even worse.
  • There are no 2.5 amp USB ports and there are not enough ports in the car. There should be a second one for the passenger beside where the 12v accessory plug is and there should be two in the rear of the console for the rear seats. Yes, one can get a 12v accessory adapter but you should not have to.
  • The GD gas hole gate locks when I am filling the car at random (Admittedly, this only affects us with the touchless entry/start button). If I have that lid open, then there is no reason for this to happen. When the thing locks, it almost always traps the filler nozzle. (For those that don't know, when the car locks, there is an anti theft gate that closes in the capless filler neck)
  • Lack of LED exterior lighting but two parts... ALL the models should have LED headlights, high and low and DRL for affected nations. There is nothing wrong with putting extra super fancy ones on the touring model to differentiate. The second part on this is that once you go up the trim list, you should start getting ALL the exterior bulbs as LED. I have been replacing my interior and exterior secondary lights with Sylvania ZEVO bulbs and am happy with them but that should have been either an option on the EX and EX-T or made as an additional reason to go to the EX-T or EX-T with leather for countries with that odd additional model.
  • Interior lighting not being LED on any model that I am aware of.
  • Approach angle ground clearance. It is insane how often I catch bottom in my EX 4dr sedan. There should be at least another couple degrees added but not sure how easy it would have been for the engineers to move the wheels forward or the aesthetics designers to not have quite as long of a bumper overhang. And I am serious on this one. I live in a pretty average city with average kept up roads and there is not one day I don't catch bottom somewhere. I did not have this issue with my 7th gen or my ancient 1989 Accord EX-i and that thing was LOW.

I do plan on doing a video at some point as I want to send it to Honda Canada for feedback so when I do, I will link it out here somewhere (new thread or something)
With the car I have, +1 on sunglasses, interior lights incandescence (replaced all immediately by cheap LEDs and forgot about it), and the long low front.
Didn't have the gas hole ever lock up on me.

The long and low front is supposed to look sporty and cool, but it requires attention and costs additional $$. I also drove the CR-V before and paid little attention to curbs. Just drove in most parking spaces until the wheels touch the curb. The problem is not with knowing where the nose of the car is (I know that) but where the curb is. It is harder to see the curb from low position and often it's not visible at all with cars parked on both sides. That's why I want a camera in front.

Unfortunately there is also a problem with lifting this car for oil changes etc. which translates to extra $$. The regular cheap ramps (~$40) available in many stores were fine for every car I owned before, but are no good for Honda Civic. The angle is too steep. Now I'm ordering some cool low profile ramps for well over $200 because of that. Even to use a jack I would need to first drive the car on at least small ramps or boards to reach to the front jacking point. Maybe a long-arm jack would work without pre-lifting but it would be big, heavy and more expensive.

Anyone knows of ramps that beat these (the two-piece model)? :
https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/56-race-ramps/

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Regarding fabric, I don't buy fabric-upholstered cars since some time. They are fine for those rich people who get a new car every couple of years :bow: but for me fabric is simply not an appropriate material for car interiors. In some lower-trim 2018 CR-Vs the console between the seats where drinks and elbows go is fabric-covered ... Why not, if my servants cleaned this car after every use and I could get rid of it in a year, maybe I would want my console covered with silk....

Oogalee

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX HFP
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hate the touch glide volme control.
Put a knob like the climate controls!

JSPeruzzi

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI sedan / 2018 Accord Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen SO - What's the single WORST feature of your Civicx? 11933BB0-3DEC-47FC-B68E-55BA8F1680AE
the lack of a spare tire, I know everyone is guilty of this, but honda has a part number for it, and yet it's unreleased....
Not true, I received my kitthe other day!

Almostfast

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PMM Sport Touring
Country flag
Since it's feature and not manufacturing defect... I'm going with touch volume slider. Steering wheel buttons work ok, but the slider on the radio might as well not even be there.

I have to remember to turn my music way down every time I park or my daughter will yell at me for it being too loud, and the touch slider doesn't activate until after the car gives you the Honda advert and safety shpeel.

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
Whats YOUR biggest beef?
I'm not sure I can think of a "worst," in the sense of bad, feature. In general, we are very pleased with our '16 Civic and consider it very well executed for what is still, at heart, a "value" car. So I'll cite three (really probably two) most disappointing features:

1a) The infotainnment--more below
1b) Lane Watch--so slow to pop up that it's almost always showing after the turn/lane change is overcome by events--and it quite frequently glitches USB playback as well
2) Rain Sensing Wipers. When we got the car, they didn't. An ocean could fall on the windshield, wipers in auto, and nothing would happen. The dealer replaced the refractive bonding sheet and re-mounted the sensor and now it's better. But still operates very erratically. Sometimes light rain drives it into max speed. And the light rain goes away. But the max speed doesn't. Other times, heavier rain will have it still wiping very intermittently. Sometimes rain will stop and it will still get another three or four swipes in over the next minute. And so on.

Re. infotainment, I really don't care about the touchscreen or lack of volume knob. Never bothered me. I just don't consider a volume knob a killer feature. Nor lack of discrete HVAC controls in a car with auto HVAC. And I find its audio quality good enough, and consistent with the rest of the car and it's "premium" (for a $26k car) billing, and am not the slightest interested in better audio quality. It's still audio in a car. Nor do I think the backup cam or LaneWatch cam should be 24MP quality. When they work, they are also "good enough" for the purposes at hand.

What bothers me about Display Audio is that it's slow (I suspect underpowered SoC/poor software tuning is prime reason for LaneWatch uselessness so maybe a LaneWatch complaint is really a infotainment complaint), glitchy, inconsistent in UI look and feel, sometimes shows backup cam for a mile or two after I set out in D, sometimes backup guidance lines show quickly, sometimes they show many seconds after going into R, shows "No Data" sometimes when the stick is present and nothing else has changed, sometimes shows spurious "Device not connected" messages in place of AA just working or even suddenly while it was working, sometimes answers phone but doesn't actually connect the speakers/microphone, "Random in Folder" when playing from USB randomly skips out of the folder into the next folder, navi can take 3 seconds to three minutes or more to get a fix at startup, Play from USB support is limited to only play by folder and does not use the track metadata (e.g., it can't play by artist, album, genre, etc.--even the 2007 CR-V we just sold could do THAT), Pandora will "play," but only silently, when a USB stick is in the USB port, frequently gets so wonky in behavior that the long press power reboot is necessary to get its act back together, etc., ad nauseum.

Oh, and worst, HONDA COULDN'T CARE LESS AND WILL NEVER FIX MOST OF IT. Even the few fixes they have provided have been extra super secret and require a) finding out about fix availability on forums like this, and b) then begging the dealer, and citing a specific description of a defect described in the secret TSB, c) hoping the dealer is aware of and/or looks for the TSB, and then d) getting over the hump that most of these things are intermittent and can't be demonstrated to the dealer to get them to put the fix on anyway. Even the ABSOLUTE CRAP Ford "My Ford Touch" infotainment we had in our 2012 Focus (much worse than even the '16 Civic Display audio, believe it or not,) had better USB support, and Ford made a number of updates available for owners to download to a stick and self-install. (Most of the updates ineffectual or regressive at best. But at least Ford gave the appearance of trying, and made it so much easier to get the updates--they acted like they really WANTED owners to get the updates which is precisely the opposite of Honda. In one case, they even sent programmed USB sticks to owners with one of the updates.)

Oh, one other issue: I believe there is an unresolved (unacknowledged) defect in ACC+LSF code. On two separate occasions, I've been at the wheel, stopped in LSF, behind a stopped vehicle ahead, and had the car surge forward into a self-made CMBS event. I'd raise this issue with the dealer, but in the abscence of any hope of re-creating, I'm certain all they'd do is shrug. (Unless maybe there's a super secret TSB that they are actually aware of and willing to do without being able to re-create the case for themselves.)

Rmember: the same manufacturers that think things like Display Audio and My Ford Touch v2 were ready for mass production are now working on autonomous vehicles.

Last edited:

UnMass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5T 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Coming from a 2017 6MT Canadian hatchback sport:

No volume knob as others have mentioned. This is really frustrating since its so damned simple.

But number one biggest beef: THE REV HANG. I absolutely hate the rev hang. It's so bad in this car. I do intend to get a ktuner or hondata to help get rid of it eventually, but I currently want to keep my drivetrain warranty. I initially kept slamming into my gears because the revs take so long to drop. It's better at higher rpm, but it's impossible to do quick changes under 3000rpm. I have time to pull out of gear, sit in neutral, watch the revs go back down, then go into the next gear. Just painful.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's so pathetic I can't remember what it's called . The passenger side camera.

Train2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6M
Country flag
Same as OP, I have a Sport manual. Really wanted manual, which meant crappy radio and no pushbutton start.
Didn't realize til later it also meant no intermittent wipers. REALLY?
Come on Honda - that's just punishing people who like manuals...

Someday, when I have money to throw around, I'll probably upgrade the stereo, but I kind of would want NAV, and not phone-based, so that's pretty pricey...

Bixbyte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Country flag
1. Cheap floor mats
2. accidentally touch the park brake button and drive with brakes on
3. passenger accidentally touch econ green button and drive with econ on
4. elbows bangs between driver and passenger
5. droid could be built in
6. Volume control is the temp setting knob
7. pinky touches screen and turns off radio
8. Lumbar support missing
9. 2 door needs two parking spots to open doors
10. Palm on steering wheel touches volume control
BUT, FUN TO DRIVE

AlaskaMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I love it as well, but then again I have the Si coupe which imo has the best looking rear. From what I seen, the non Si sedans look horrible from behind lol.

Anyways, if I have to pick out something I really dislike it would be the seats (Si). Not very comfy.
I’ve had mine for 2 months, 4,400 miles and I can’t stand the thigh bolsters. Have you looked for or know if there is a way to remove them?

bgutierrezx

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen civic ext 4dr sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can’t go in 1st gear even with the clutch if the RPMs aren’t below 2.5k I believe. (When coming to a stop.) Other then that, I control the volume in my car so the steering wheel controls do just fine. It’s the passageners that always get confused. As for no sensors on the bumpers, I’m glad they came like that. Cheaper to replace if you end up hitting yours....
Sponsored