So Used To Driving W/ ECON On

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
I've owned my 2017 Sport Hatch 6MT since November, and like my previous 2014 Civic Coupe LX, I pretty much always drive in ECON mode. This car, being my first MT vehicle, has been great to drive. Even in Economy, I've been impressed with the performance. I guess I had gotten so use to running it in Economy, that I'd forgotten to see what it felt like with it off. It was after midnight, the roads were virtually empty, and I decided to have a little fun from a few stop lights. I turned off ECON, and launched it fairly gently, and applied only about 30-50% throttle. I noticed quite the difference immediately! Looks like I'll be turning off ECON a lot more from here on out.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I constantly drive with ECON myself. My nephew stopped by over the weekend and he wanted to go for a ride in my car. I turned ECON off, got onto the express-way on ramp, and opened her up for the first time in about a year.

Wow! I forgot how quick it is and how much torque the CVT makes. I sometimes say my WRX is my "fun" car, but that's not entirely true.

On the other hand, my 0-80mph pull probably used the same amount of gas as my 55mile drive to work on ECON :rofl:

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First thing I did when I picked her up was I turned ECON off. LOL

I know what I bought and not a bit concerned about saving or watching my fuel economy.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Me, too. That button has not seen the light of day in my Civic! ;)
It should only be lit when cruising at ur desired speed anyways... Anyone thats using it for city driving or getting up to speed is actually loosing mpg and using more fuel...

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
It should only be lit when cruising at ur desired speed anyways... Anyone thats using it for city driving or getting up to speed is actually loosing mpg and using more fuel...
Oh and once at cruising speed only in flat areas...

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
How do you figure this? Less boost = less fuel. Less throttle = less fuel. If you're flooring it around the city, ya doesn't make a difference, but if you're driving it lightly as ECON intends you definitely will save fuel.

ECON does a few things to improve MPG, but I think the biggest is how it limits your throttle input.

I definitely do not like how the cruise control works without ECON active on the expressway. It's corrections are really harsh.

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
I made a similar decision and Econ remains in the off position most of the time. This car is so much fun with Econ off! Econ is on for long highway drives but even then this is my first car to make it so easy to navigate through traffic clogs. My 235 hp 2006 Hyundai Sonata was not this responsive. While not at Snoopyslr level, I am an efficient driver. Enjoying the Civic so much a few refills with only 28 or 29 mpg is not bothering me.
:flame:

I also purchased my hatch in November. It was not easy waiting for hatches to hit the dealerships and then wait a few more weeks for prices to soften.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made a similar decision and Econ remains in the off position most of the time. This car is so much fun with Econ off! Econ is on for long highway drives but even then this is my first car to make it so easy to navigate through traffic clogs. My 235 hp 2006 Hyundai Sonata was not this responsive. While not at Snoopyslr level, I am an efficient driver. Enjoying the Civic so much a few refills with only 28 or 29 mpg is not bothering me.
:flame:

I also purchased my hatch in November. It was not easy waiting for hatches to hit the dealerships and then wait a few more weeks for prices to soften.
I used to focus on HP numbers, lap times, and 1/4 slips.............now I brag about MPG... What the hell happened to me?!

If I didn't have my WRX to rip on, I'd definitely drive the Civic differently.

lebshiff21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatch
I have no data to back this up but I tend to agree. It seems like you need more throttle to get going to 25-35mph with econ on, and I just watch my mpg gauge pinned to the left doing this. With econ off I can get to speed a little more quickly and then coast more. Just my 2 cents.

quadna71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Touring sedan
Country flag
We religiously used the ECON mode on our '07 Civic as well as our '13 Insight. So after picking up our '16 Civic I started out immediately using ECON at all times. Well a couple of months ago I glanced down and saw that we were getting a little better mileage on the current tank of gas than was expected and when when I looked at the button low and behold it was turned off. I must have bumped it at some point. I then did some testing over the next few tanks of gas and determined through my unscientific testing that if I take my typical 130-mile daily commute with highway speeds averaging 75-77 mph then we do better with ECON turned off. If I am in traffic and are going closer to 65 mph for most of the drive then we do better with ECON turned on. So I don't leave it in one position with no regard to my habits - instead I look at traffic and adjust as needed. Now we are getting steady 40mpg tanks even in the cooler temps of winter. Works for me!

zrwizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport,2016 CRV SE, 2014 Mustang, 2011 Mustang, 2010 Civic LX-
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Eco sucks with CVT if you want to feel performance

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
Oh and once at cruising speed only in flat areas...
I agree with all of that.

also, I'll skip shift getting up to speed, (usually 2,4,6 or 1,2,4,6)