So many trading in their Si ?

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Idk if I just have bad luck or don't know how to drive, but I never had a manual that didn't have some sort of quirk when shifting into second :dunno:.
I never had a problem shifting from 1-2. If you got problems shifting a brand new car from 1-2 you need a drive mod.

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
I feel like its VERY slow compaired to the 05 SRT-4 I got new back in 05. Same class of car but the SRT-4 was MUCH faster stock. Ran low 14s stock no problem, high 13s with radials. After mods I was in the 11s easily. And it pulled WAYYYYYY harder on rolls on the street. Midrange was better in the neon with more drama that I expect from a turbo. I would destroy mustangs and camaros, stock vetts and hung with z06s. the only car at the time I worried about was the svt cobras with the super charger. I wish the Si was closer to that performance to be honest. But the quality of the Si and the features are miles better than that neon. Maybe the Si with a bigger turbo that can pull to redline will give me that same experience performance wise.
My mazdaspeed 3 was similar to your srt-04. Even when it was stock, it definitely felt a lot faster in a straight line than the Si. That's to be expected with 268HP and 280 lb-ft torque.

I will say the Si takes off better and corners/handles better than the speed3 did stock. the civic is more planted and puts the power down better in the turns. Part of the reason for this was that mazda limited torque in the first 3 gears in order to reduce torque steer.

The low weight/lower center of gravity of the civic is very noticeable and really adds to the driving dynamics vs. the 350lbs heavier mazda. The civic is a fun car to drive and feels more than quick enough on the street (at least for me). The Si brakes better and generally feels sportier despite the lower power numbers.

If anyone has driven the new Miata... the Si feels like a slightly larger and less raw (read more comfortable) version but retains a lot of the fun go-cart like qualities.

Bottom line: if you're looking for visceral acceleration then the Si is not the car for you.

Last edited:

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
the si is pretty light. too bad there isnt much else you can do to reduce its weight without gutting it/removing seats

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I never had a problem shifting from 1-2. If you got problems shifting a brand new car from 1-2 you need a drive mod.
To clarify, I don't necessarily have a problem shifting into second, I just get a crunch sound occasionally when going into second or fourth gear. Others have mentioned this on the forum as well. The point i'm trying to make is that manual transmissions are not perfect and there are going to be minor issues that the dealership may not be willing or are able to fix.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
Yes ... I feel juvenile in my R

But that's kind of the point.

typemismatch

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A whole farm of Hondas
Country flag
R's are on used lots for a couple of reasons, I'm sure there are some outliers, but this should cover 80% of the reasons:
- The fad crowd - they buy the new hot thing every year or two
- People that couldn't afford it - they did the math and thought they could make it work
- People that didn't understand what they were buying - they thought it was a top trim luxury version of the car

Lots of Si's on dealer lots for some similar reasons as the R, but also because some people bought one waiting for the ADM's on the R to stop or be able to actually get one.

Si's also have a couple other things going against them:
- it's basically the same as the base civic with suspension and a hopped up tune
- weird warranty issues with the head unit and electronics
- oil dilution scare

Deleted member

- it's basically the same as the base civic with suspension and a hopped up tune
That's not entirely accurate- there are quite a few differences. Something I saved from a thread a while back regarding the key differences between the Si and the regular Civic:
  • Engine output increased to 205 HP @ 5,700 RPM (SAE net) and 192 lb-ft torque @ 2,100-5,000 RPM (SAE net)

• Higher maximum boost pressure (20.3 vs. 16.5 PSI)

• Lower compression ratio (10.3:1 vs. 10.6:1)

• Higher-capacity MHI TD025 turbocharger (9-vane vs. 11-vane)

• Helical limited-slip differential

• Larger front brake rotors (12.3" vs. 11.1" vented front and 11.1" vs. 10.2" solid rear)

• Two-mode damper system with normal and firm settings

• SPORT mode replaces ECON mode - increases suspension damping, reduces power steering assist, increases throttle sensitivity, and raises the activation threshold of the Vehicle Stability Assist system

• 235/40R18 91W tires vs. 215/50R17 91H

• 7% stiffer front spring rate

• 18% stiffer front upper damper mounts

• 7% stiffer front stabilizer bar rate

• 32% stiffer rear spring rate

• Solid vs. fluid-filled front and rear compliance bushings (rear shared with the Type R)

• Stronger engine rods

• High-stiffness rear upper control arms (shared with the Type R)

• 26% stiffer rear stabilizer bar rate

• Si-specific seats with thicker side bolsters, non-adjustable headrests, and stitched "Si" logos

• Red interior stitching, gauges, and Display Audio color scheme

• Black headliner and pillar trim vs. gray in EX-T

• Front and rear facias similar to the hatchback

• Center-mounted polygonal exhaust outlet

• Higher-flowing intake system

• 23% higher-flowing exhaust system

• Aluminum clutch, brake, and accelerator pedals

• Carbon fiber-look interior trim

• 10% shorter shifter throw

• Leather-wrapped, aluminum shift knob

• Revised shift linkage

• Increased rigidity of shifter bracket mount

• 450-watt audio system (same as EX-T coupe vs. 180-watt in EX-T sedan)

• Additional items in Driver Information Display including G-force meter, turbo boost gauge with PSI indication, lap timer, throttle percentage, and brake pressure

• Leather-wrapped steering wheel, shift boot, and shift knob

• Premium fuel recommended

• Tire repair kit including sealant and a 12-volt inflator replaces the compact, temporary spare

• Vanity mirrors are non-illuminated vs. illuminated

• EPA fuel economy ratings of 28/38/32 city/highway/combined vs. 31/42/3

Last edited by a moderator:

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Has anyone driven both trims back to back and would like to share their experience?

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
Has anyone driven both trims back to back and would like to share their experience?
I've driven both on the track, not the street. So, I'll just confine my comments to track impressions. Si: great chassis that is let down by its engine. CTR: fantastic engine that is matched well to its chassis. The LSD in the CTR does a better job in the turns than the Si's version. I suppose that's to be expected if you're spending an extra $10K. However, in stock form, both cars suffer from heat soak and cooling issues. My friends and I are currently trying to figure out the best solution for both issues for the CTR.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
R's are on used lots for a couple of reasons, I'm sure there are some outliers, but this should cover 80% of the reasons:
- The fad crowd - they buy the new hot thing every year or two
- People that couldn't afford it - they did the math and thought they could make it work
- People that didn't understand what they were buying - they thought it was a top trim luxury version of the car

Lots of Si's on dealer lots for some similar reasons as the R, but also because some people bought one waiting for the ADM's on the R to stop or be able to actually get one.

- weird warranty issues with the head unit and electronics
- oil dilution scare
I agree with you on the CTR's reasons. I've heard all three from former CTR owners I see at my local Cars & Coffee.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've driven both on the track, not the street. So, I'll just confine my comments to track impressions. Si: great chassis that is let down by its engine. CTR: fantastic engine that is matched well to its chassis. The LSD in the CTR does a better job in the turns than the Si's version. I suppose that's to be expected if you're spending an extra $10K. However, in stock form, both cars suffer from heat soak and cooling issues. My friends and I are currently trying to figure out the best solution for both issues for the CTR.
Interesting. I thought the Honda engineers would've had that figured out since they were testing it on the NĂĽrburgring ring.

nuowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic SI
Country flag
0EF96823-F512-4DD3-9B52-D871979A6DA0.jpeg
I traded my si in for this Challenger two weeks ago and am super happy so far!!
I traded out of my black '13 into the Si. Don't really like the interior changes on '15 forward... but if they bring back Furious Fuchsia I'll be on the way to the Dodge dealer. :bow:

nickhaldin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si sedan; 1997 Mazda Miata
I’d like to see some data on what you said about the LSD. Don’t see how or why it would work different or better on the CTR unless the chassis affected the way it behaves.

averagetrackdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 S2000
Country flag
I’d like to see some data on what you said about the LSD. Don’t see how or why it would work different or better on the CTR unless the chassis affected the way it behaves.
Well, you don't have to believe me. You can compare the two cars at your local track and try them out for yourself. I'm just sharing my opinion that's based on my track time with them.
Sponsored