So in 2021 the Type R is the only manual car Honda is gonna offer?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
I been reading a lot on Honda last few days and so far Ive seen the accord is gonna loose the manual and the civic coupe is dead. The civic line now will no longer have a manual at all and the SI is not even gonna be made for 2021. So that leaves only the 2021 type R with a manual from Honda? and they are gonna be limited run cars for the year, not just the LE but the run itself, since factory is closing in july 2021. So seems if you like manuals 2021 is not the year to find one in a Honda.

Shame Honda was one of the last Hold outs for manual transmissions and it seems they are slowly... well rather quickly actually, killing it.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The sport and touring hatches will still have manual gearboxes.

Si, coupe, and all manual sedans are gone.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The sport and touring hatches will still have manual gearboxes.

Si, coupe, and all manual sedans are gone.
You sure? the stuff I read said ALL civics were loosing the manual and only the SI and Type R would retain them. And since 2021 is not going to have an Si..... that only leaves the Type R. Ill have to read more. I did see one that said they "should stick around on hatches" but they were not sure. and some think that come 2022 we will see paddle shifters and no manual transmissions at all.

TANSTAAFL

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, Championship White
Country flag
The Si should be back for 2022, finger's crossed, though probably as a hatch only. And the CTR. But yeah, manuals are truly dying. It's sort of like the most vulnerable species in an extinction event--they go first, then everything else. In this case, internal combustion engines are on the way out long term, and manuals are the most ICE of ICE vehicles, in some ways.

It just costs too much to do the R&D and product improvement needed to make and keep making good manual transmissions, when effectively no one buys them (remember, these companies look at six-figure unit sales yearly as their goal, not four digit numbers!). Not to mention that it from what I have seen companies often have to get each variety of a car model certified (emissions, safety, whatever) in places like North America and the EU, and a manual and an automatic version are effectively two different products for this purpose. Those certifications cost money, which again will never get made back.

Really, though, companies might still keep some third-pedal love going to round out their line ups if it wasn't for the inevitable electrification of everything automotive. Manuals are a total dead end street there, though we can hope that companies will think about building some EVs that try to capture the fun to drive crowd that still loves its manuals.

And of course, for performance models, it's been true for years now that automatics, if done right (and most are these days) are faster and deliver better review numbers than automatics, and a lot of people in the performance car sector seem to care only about numbers. It is a testament to companies like Honda that they continue to put out cars like the CTR at all, recognizing that numbers are not always the best judge of a car's soul.

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The Si should be back for 2022, finger's crossed, though probably as a hatch only. And the CTR. But yeah, manuals are truly dying. It's sort of like the most vulnerable species in an extinction event--they go first, then everything else. In this case, internal combustion engines are on the way out long term, and manuals are the most ICE of ICE vehicles, in some ways.

It just costs too much to do the R&D and product improvement needed to make and keep making good manual transmissions, when effectively no one buys them (remember, these companies look at six-figure unit sales yearly as their goal, not four digit numbers!). Not to mention that it from what I have seen companies often have to get each variety of a car model certified (emissions, safety, whatever) in places like North America and the EU, and a manual and an automatic version are effectively two different products for this purpose. Those certifications cost money, which again will never get made back.

Really, though, companies might still keep some third-pedal love going to round out their line ups if it wasn't for the inevitable electrification of everything automotive. Manuals are a total dead end street there, though we can hope that companies will think about building some EVs that try to capture the fun to drive crowd that still loves its manuals.

And of course, for performance models, it's been true for years now that automatics, if done right (and most are these days) are faster and deliver better review numbers than automatics, and a lot of people in the performance car sector seem to care only about numbers. It is a testament to companies like Honda that they continue to put out cars like the CTR at all, recognizing that numbers are not always the best judge of a car's soul.
It is funny. but awhile ago I made a thread saying that manuals were dead and that we would start to only se them on high dollar cars as only making a handful a year would make a once cheap item very expensive to keep making. and here we are. Honda of all makers. manuals are only gonna be available on the most expensive of their line. I don't think manuals will go away but I do think they will only be available on expensive cars as like i said they are /were a cheap transmission but when you are only making a handful and supplying parts they become expensive. I think we are at a point in car history where we are gonna see it flip. where once an automatic was an expensive upgrade now i think we will see where a manual will become an expensive upgrade. Maybe not now but in a few years...

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I think it will be back on the base models in 2022 for the next 11th gen civic. They are winding down on the 10th gen civic production

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Alot of cars are focused on being Eco friendly in the coming decade. Looks like car manufacturers are switching focus. Specialty cars for the enthusiasts, SUV's, Trucks, and Electric cars are the highest selling cars.

Used cars surprisingly are at the TOP

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
You sure? the stuff I read said ALL civics were loosing the manual and only the SI and Type R would retain them. And since 2021 is not going to have an Si..... that only leaves the Type R. Ill have to read more. I did see one that said they "should stick around on hatches" but they were not sure. and some think that come 2022 we will see paddle shifters and no manual transmissions at all.
Just what I saw here.

If you really want a manual transmission in a Civic this year, you'll want to look at the 2021 Civic hatchback. This model retains the six-speed manual on the Sport and Sport Touring trims.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021-honda-civic-sedan-prices/

OP
OP
Harlaquin

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
That just means my 2020 sport touring 6MT will be considered "rare"

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I think it will be back on the base models in 2022 for the next 11th gen civic. They are winding down on the 10th gen civic production
Honda has announced that the Civic sedan will no longer have a manual. It will not be back in the sedan. At least according to an article I saw the other day.

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
That just means my 2020 sport touring 6MT will be considered "rare"
Honestly, this will likely be the case. Keep your car in great shape and it'll reward. I think the first 5-6 years will all be "lost value" years, but then it will likely start climbing. I doubt it'll ever become as expensive as the car in 2020, but you'll likely get more money than in any other case.

Manuals might be dead but there's a subset of us willing to pay more for one. And continue paying for one. I'd rather die than give up a manual shifter in my car.

Reactions: Phy

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Honestly, this will likely be the case. Keep your car in great shape and it'll reward. I think the first 5-6 years will all be "lost value" years, but then it will likely start climbing. I doubt it'll ever become as expensive as the car in 2020, but you'll likely get more money than in any other case.

Manuals might be dead but there's a subset of us willing to pay more for one. And continue paying for one. I'd rather die than give up a manual shifter in my car.
I remember back in the day sticks were standard equipment and an auto was a paid option. Things sure have changed.
Sponsored