So I want to get rid of my truck

roadshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
And go back to driving a car. All my cars other than trucks have been Accords. As much as I loved them, I needed trucks for a long time until now. But I'm pretty much done that now (I think). The up front cost of pickups now is getting just stupid nowadays, and the ownership costs of them is also more than a car. Especially tires! And fuel obviously. But I also don't want or need an Accord size anymore either.

My worry is house+property stuff you end up needing as a homeowner with some property. I'm curious to hear what you guys, especially the homeowners with families are doing when you need to get large "stuff" and what solutions you came up with. I'm toying with getting a civic and just installing a Hidden Hitch and buying a light utility trailer for those odd occasions
Sponsored

Sgtstaadanko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And go back to driving a car. All my cars other than trucks have been Accords. As much as I loved them, I needed trucks for a long time until now. But I'm pretty much done that now (I think). The up front cost of pickups now is getting just stupid nowadays, and the ownership costs of them is also more than a car. Especially tires! And fuel obviously. But I also don't want or need an Accord size anymore either.

My worry is house+property stuff you end up needing as a homeowner with some property. I'm curious to hear what you guys, especially the homeowners with families are doing when you need to get large "stuff" and what solutions you came up with. I'm toying with getting a civic and just installing a Hidden Hitch and buying a light utility trailer for those odd occasions
Home depot and lowes both have delivery services. For anywhere else just rent a uhaul pickup for what, 15$ a day?

GeoUSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Country flag
Check out the Civic hatch. My previous car was also a hatch and took care of jobs others would use a truck for. Honda has some nice crossovers too. Before buying the Civic I shopped pickups and you are correct, the prices are shocking. Wildest thing I transported in my Scion hatch were a few 10' lengths of composite lumber. The lumber yard guy had an amused expression when I pulled up so I just told him it's bigger on the inside. He was a Whovian and understood the reference. :D

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
Check out the Civic hatch. My previous car was also a hatch and took care of jobs others would use a truck for.
This! I traded in my '12 Ram 1500 for the exact reasons you guys state. Just spending too much money on it, and when 95% of my driving is from home to work and vice versa, I couldn't justify it anymore. My Civic hatch is capable of doing everything I need it to, found that out this morning when I was able to load up a couple servers and a plethora of equipment in boxes in the back with space to spare. The only time I missed the 4x4 was when we got like 16" of snow during a blizzard a couple weeks ago, but even then, some people were getting stuck in their pickups anyway :rolleyes:

Manual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 EX-T 6mt
Country flag
I bought my car for similar reasons. I specifically purchased the manual transmission with some light (less than 1500 lbs) towing in mind (but have not installed a hitch, yet). Also, the trunk on the sedan is fairly large,.. fold the seats down and lots of things (like a bicycle with front wheel removed) will fit in there.

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag

Not sure when you owned your last accord.. Ive owned 7 of them before this car.. This car imho is likely the same size as your last accord.. And the hatchback has just as much room as the crv for cargo..

16extsense

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T with Sensing
Country flag
I traded in my SUV for a sedan and yes daily commute became more pleasant.

I don't have a family though. You need to do the math and figure out how often you actually need a pick up. I pay for delivery services. Last I bought a 55 inch TV from Amazon, it was delivered straight to my living room.

OP
OP

roadshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Not sure when you owned your last accord.. Ive owned 7 of them before this car.. This car imho is likely the same size as your last accord.. And the hatchback has just as much room as the crv for cargo..
Last accord was the 08, which was their biggest size model design, wife can't stand driving it

Draken187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 accord ex-l sedan, 2016 accord sport sedan, 2006 civic type r (in spain) and 2017 civic sedan ex-t w/manual transmission
Country flag
Last accord was the 08, which was their biggest size model design, wife can't stand driving it
Yes that was 100% the biggest.. I will say the cureent is bigger than the 7th gen.. Inside atleast.. And almost as big as a 9th gen accord.. The hatch prob has more room altogether than the 8th gen.. If you count cargo space

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This! I traded in my '12 Ram 1500 for the exact reasons you guys state. Just spending too much money on it, and when 95% of my driving is from home to work and vice versa, I couldn't justify it anymore. My Civic hatch is capable of doing everything I need it to, found that out this morning when I was able to load up a couple servers and a plethora of equipment in boxes in the back with space to spare. The only time I missed the 4x4 was when we got like 16" of snow during a blizzard a couple weeks ago, but even then, some people were getting stuck in their pickups anyway :rolleyes:
I wish more people in everyday life would think this way. I know so many people at work (Federal government office) who exclusively commute using pickups because they occ. hunt/fish during the summer. If 95% of your driving doesn't require a pickup...don't buy a pickup. These guys are doing it only because its the manly way to do stuff around here. Unless you live/work on a farm or require heavy duty hauling for work, I don't understand the appeal of a pickup. I know people buying $50k trucks on a $75k salary...makes no damn sense.

OP
OP

roadshow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAM 1500
Speaking of cost I also looked at the HRV EX L and was I ever disappointed. That trim is listing for $34k here. Now look at the Civic Touring here for $4k less. The HRV for more money gives you AWD and more cargo (obviously) But you get a lower tier engine, ugly basic wheels, basic halogen headlights, the interior isn't as nice, the seats aren't as nice. Honda really screwed the North American market for the HRV. The European and Asian versions got led headlights and the turbo engine so in NA the Mazda CRX is a much better buy sort a sub compact CUV than the HRV in my opinion. Hence why I'm looking at the Civic.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag

What sort of 'stuff' are you moving? And how often? Like @16extsense, I just pay to get things delivered. You could pay for the delivery of one item every month, and it would still probably be cheaper than the higher cost of owning a truck. Avoids the hassle too.

b0j4ngl35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Hatchback
I know so many people at work (Federal government office) who exclusively commute using pickups because they occ. hunt/fish during the summer.
Yep lol, sounds like the same thing I see in the parking lot at my job. This used to be how I justified owning a truck, aside from the fact that at my last job I hauled a pretty good amount of equipment on a regular basis. Not at that job anymore though, and really, I only get out to hunt/fish a handful of times every year. Save so much money this way, plus the Civic is more fun to drive!

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yep lol, sounds like the same thing I see in the parking lot at my job. This used to be how I justified owning a truck, aside from the fact that at my last job I hauled a pretty good amount of equipment on a regular basis. Not at that job anymore though, and really, I only get out to hunt/fish a handful of times every year. Save so much money this way, plus the Civic is more fun to drive!
Also way easier to park. Very comical watching people trying to park a truck in tight parking lots.

Browncoat3000

Red 5 standing by
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, Odyssey EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My other car is the Honda Odyssey, or as I call it, my Oddy. We have 4 kids, so we need the space. Yes, it looks like a minivan, but it is a magnificent vehicle in every way except looks. It can also haul all kind of stuff. Over the years I've hauled everything from bags of gravel to 4x8 sheets of plywood.

I've also hauled stuff with my other car. With my previous Civic, I found that I could haul about half of what the Oddy could. With the seats down in the back, and careful stacking, you can easily move a dozen 2x4x8 and still close the trunk.

The thing is, I only move stuff perhaps once or twice a year. I could easily rent the Lowes pickup or make two trips for mulch if I didn't have my Oddy. I could get by with a hatch easily and not miss the Oddy at all if it had more seats.
Sponsored