So I know removing the window trim is hard...

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
But has anyone managed to remove it without bending it? My idea is to do it using fishing wire and a heat gun, as you would removing badges. Hopefully the wire would be thin enough to not bend or kink the trim, and the heat gun would soften the adhesive to be able to compensate where the wire is lacking.

The service manual mentions using a utility knife to cut the adhesive, but this might bend it as the trim is apparently very sensitive. So what are your thoughts on this? Would it work, does it work?

I'm talking about the chrome trim above the doors.
Sponsored

orio89

First Name
Ori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX
Country flag
I am also looking into deleting the chrome around the window trim as well as front and rear bumper. Was gonna do vinyl at first but figured that won't last too long before peeling/bubbling. Was quoted like $700 at a local custom shop- figured I'd see if I can't paint it myself. Are you trying to paint, plasti-dip or vinyl? I'd recommend painting. I think the best way to go about it would be very carefully masking and wrapping the car with paper and tape and drape plastic drop, leaving only the chrome you wanna paint (remove side mirror). You gotta treat it and sand it before painting, and you have to use many coats, primer, and finish too. I don't know how easily the trim will come off, I think covering it up carefully should suffice though. If you give it a go, let me know how it goes! Best of luck

OP
OP

Ketsto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic 1.5l
Country flag
I am also looking into deleting the chrome around the window trim as well as front and rear bumper. Was gonna do vinyl at first but figured that won't last too long before peeling/bubbling. Was quoted like $700 at a local custom shop- figured I'd see if I can't paint it myself. Are you trying to paint, plasti-dip or vinyl? I'd recommend painting. I think the best way to go about it would be very carefully masking and wrapping the car with paper and tape and drape plastic drop, leaving only the chrome you wanna paint (remove side mirror). You gotta treat it and sand it before painting, and you have to use many coats, primer, and finish too. I don't know how easily the trim will come off, I think covering it up carefully should suffice though. If you give it a go, let me know how it goes! Best of luck
I'll be painting. I wanted to remove the trim since my garage can get a little dusty sometimes. I have the possibility of making an impromptu separate paint booth but there's no way I'd get the car in there.

Yeah, that seems to be the only safe option, right now. Removing the trim seems to be too risky.
Sponsored