So, how many of you stored the Type R for the winter?

Did you store your CTR ?

• Total voters

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
Youre right at some point it might be unavoidable, but itll be long after my ass is off this planet haha.

If you drive your car through corrosive stuff, then yes, its destined to happen, in fact youre simply just accelerating the process. It doesnt matter how much wax you put on the outside because thats not where rust starts. By the time you spot it on the outside, its too late anyways.

The other thing people forget that like all chemical reactions, you need to meet certain criteria for it to happen, its the same reason why putting salt down on ice when its really cold doesnt do anything. Once temps start warming and all the stuff is getting into the underside of your car, thats when the majority of the problems start taking place. Just because you cant visually see it doesnt mean its happening and theres a limit to what those underbody washes will do.

You can say and think what you want, but "perfectly fine" is just dressing it up. At the end of the day the fact is, if you want to reduce the amount of corrosion and underbody issues for your car, driving it through a midwest winter isnt helping your cause.
Agree. Audi is already consider quite good to against slat & rust in general but both of my Audi also start showing rust after driving it for 4 winters.
Sponsored

Nitroturtle

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PMM CTR, 2006 S2000, 2010 Element EX AWD
Country flag
Is that Element? the front end looks very different than the those I saw on the street! And it is really cool!
Thanks, I'm definitely happy with how it turned out. It's a 2010 so it has the facelift front end which isn't nearly as common. I also custom built the retrofit headlights and I had the grill painted PMM instead of factory silver. Here's a pic when I got it back in October.

Honda Civic 10th gen So, how many of you stored the Type R for the winter? PXL_20201023_194124438

GurinderM

First Name
Gurinder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
driving my 2020 through the winter. got a steelie and winter tire set up going but im realizing that my ctr doesnt enjoy the extreme lower temps in ontario

definitely gonna store her next winter and go the beater route

Honda Civic 10th gen So, how many of you stored the Type R for the winter? thumbnail_IMG_0503

Last edited:

type_ramen

First Name
Keiothic
Threads
Reaction score
Website
linktr.ee
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
driving my 2020 through the winter. got a steelie and winter tire set up going but im realizing that my ctr doesnt enjoy the extreme lower temps in ontario

definitely gonna store her next winter and go the beater route

thumbnail_IMG_0503.jpg
How wide are those tires?

Canuck

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Got 18” SuperSpeed wheels with Continental Extreme 255 x 30 with the intention of storing the car over the Ontario winter. Even got a car cover to store it in my garage. Our winter hasn’t come (yet) only one snowstorm that melted away after a week. Even with 0C temps the car doesn’t slip and slide on dry roads. Had the car dry under coated in October so no worries about salt. So until some permanent snow arrives, I’ll keep terrorizing the neighborhood ?!

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm lucky with the timeline of my R purchase. A few other family members are getting rid of their older cars which are still in very good shape, which I will systematically use one by one as winter cars. I can't use beaters - I like a nice quality ride in the winter as well.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
I bought some snows and rims for an Ontario winter but fortunately my beater still works well. I was planning on driving it but it just seems too nice and new. Also, if Honda engineers thought you would drive it in the winter, it would have heated seats!!

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Maybe, but the Polar Vortex hit the Midwest a couple years ago I think. Temps in Chicago were colder than temps in Alaska at the time. But it was only for like a week at a time.
Yup I was in Chicago, it was actually colder in Chicago than Mars at the time according to NASA.
That's just insane!

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
All us winter folks don't forget to check your tire pressures! every 10 degree drop is -1 Psi !!!!! :thumbsup:

ians

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8, 2004 TSX, 2011 A4 Avant, 2013 S5, 2019 718 GTS
Country flag
A stiff clutch is a symptom of any extreme negative temp, not unique to the CTR.
Hm... my Audi S5 clutch and shifter is not stiff at all even -30C. Actually I just drive like summer time on Audi no matter how cold the weather is. The only thing that need to pay attention is the pot hole around town since only 19" rim fit the car
Sponsored