So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8!

TimTam

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R (FK8) #04830
Country flag
We already know the audio in the FK8 is an area where Honda has cut costs. 12 relatively average Foster speakers, a lousy 550W outboard amp and a subwoofer that doesn't really do much... what could be worse? :)

Cut to Australia, where Honda has deleted the centre dash speaker, both rear C pillar speakers, the subwoofer, AND the outboard amp. Imagine 160W of *peak* power pushed into tinny Pioneer speakers*! And the Honda DSP guys are told: make this setup sound as least terrible as possible. What kind of EQ do they have to apply?

(*Having said that, I'm actually really happy with the deal we get in Oz... other than the crummy sound system, the car is fully loaded, and we only pay MSRP!)

Over the weekend, my front Pioneer speakers vanished and were replaced with Dynaudio MD102 tweeters and MW152 midrange drivers, all powered by an Audison AP8.9 bit DSP/Amp. And when the de-EQ process ran, it graphed the factory EQ. Here it is:

Honda Civic 10th gen So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8! Factory EQ cropped

As you can see, it's pretty feral! The bass starts rolling off below 100Hz, and the mid-range is all over the place. Ugly!! The new kit sounds so much better :-D

Honda Civic 10th gen So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8! Audison 0001 Honda Civic 10th gen So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8! Audison 0002 Honda Civic 10th gen So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8! Audison 0004 Honda Civic 10th gen So here it is.. the factory EQ on the Aussie FK8! Audison 0003

When I get the mic set up I'll tale some measurements... can't wait to tune it!

Los Eblos

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 MY2005, FK8 PMM @ October 2017
Country flag
Hi

for me, in my European CTR GT with 11 Speakers (465W, no subwoofer), it sounds like the Factory-EQ is depending on volume-setting... which makes sense just to make the low frequencies quieter, the more louder you hear your music, for not overriding the woofers. In the smaller setup you have, it would make even more sense to be build in by Honda.

For me, the dequalization would be optimal, if this dynamic in the Factory-EQ would be eliminated by the DSP too.

Has the auto-de-equalization-process to be performed with multiple volume settings?

Or in other words: if this process doesn't consider this dynamic of the Factory-EQ, your de-equalization result will be different, every time you redo it with another volume setting. So you have to take care of, to optimize your result.

What do you think?

OP
OP
TimTam

TimTam

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type-R (FK8) #04830
Country flag
Hi

for me, in my European CTR GT with 11 Speakers (465W, no subwoofer), it sounds like the Factory-EQ is depending on volume-setting... which makes sense just to make the low frequencies quieter, the more louder you hear your music, for not overriding the woofers. In the smaller setup you have, it would make even more sense to be build in by Honda.

For me, the dequalization would be optimal, if this dynamic in the Factory-EQ would be eliminated by the DSP too.

Has the auto-de-equalization-process to be performed with multiple volume settings?

Or in other words: if this process doesn't consider this dynamic of the Factory-EQ, your de-equalization result will be different, every time you redo it with another volume setting. So you have to take care of, to optimize your result.

What do you think?
Unfortunately no, the automatic process doesn't allow for multiple readings at different volumes. I haven't worked out how to pipe audio into the head unit from my laptop (bluetooth from phone works, but not laptop for some reason) so I can't get REW's tone sweep to check for myself.

There's this article (https://www.civicx.com/threads/audiophiles-touring-factory-eq-curve-doesnt-change-with-volume.6814/), which shows there's no volume-based EQ, but it's a different model.

I wish the head unit had a line in! (Or even better, an option to turn off the factory EQ...)
Sponsored