So about rev hang

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
I have no intention of boosting power - prefer longevity. But, was wondering if aftermarket rev hang only fixes exist. Or, is that just part of a Hondata ecu flash? Can you flash and just eliminate hang without any other tampering?
Sponsored

ne0guri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Orchid Pearl Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I was wondering as well! Cold Air Intake? Aftermarket Intercooler? I don't know what I'm saying but maybe?

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Ex-T Sedan
Country flag
I have no intention of boosting power - prefer longevity. But, was wondering if aftermarket rev hang only fixes exist. Or, is that just part of a Hondata ecu flash? Can you flash and just eliminate hang without any other tampering?
I'm very interested in finding out about this too

OP
OP

TTRPGGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Accord LX
I was wondering as well! Cold Air Intake? Aftermarket Intercooler? I don't know what I'm saying but maybe?
As I understand it (And, for the record, I don't change my own oil so I don't understand much :) ) the rev hang is entirely computer controlled, so the ECU (the engine's computer brain) being reprogrammed should do it. Reprogramming the ECU is all a Hondata flash is too, as I under stand. So really I'm just wondering if there's an ultra gentle and not full Hondata tune priced ECU update just to kill rev hang.

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
As I understand it (And, for the record, I don't change my own oil so I don't understand much :) ) the rev hang is entirely computer controlled, so the ECU (the engine's computer brain) being reprogrammed should do it. Reprogramming the ECU is all a Hondata flash is too, as I under stand. So really I'm just wondering if there's an ultra gentle and not full Hondata tune priced ECU update just to kill rev hang.
They can easily make a flash that is JUST a rev hang fix. I know with Ford ECU once you hack it you can see ALL the stock settings. I imagine the Honda ECU is similar. So they can make a tune that is 100% identical to stock + a rev hang fix.

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I would suggest going with a mid-tune - you can always reflash to stock if you're worried before taking it in to a dealer for service. The car won't break! Don't be afraid - and the tune gives you the most gains so its a win-win, leaving all else stock.

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would suggest going with a mid-tune - you can always reflash to stock if you're worried before taking it in to a dealer for service. The car won't break! Don't be afraid - and the tune gives you the most gains so its a win-win, leaving all else stock.
Will tuning hurt the longevity of the engine? I've never flashed before

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Will tuning hurt the longevity of the engine? I've never flashed before
The longevity of the engine will be determined by how you actually treat the engine - flogging a stock engine will cause more harm than treating a flashed engine well... that doesn't mean you can't let it rip every once in a while, but if you're constantly in lower gears and keeping the engine at higher RPMs all the time, or doing laps on a track, etc, then of course the longevity of your engine is going to be shortened - stock or flashed. If you drive it normally and have some fun, your engine isn't going to know the difference.

pukemon

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 DBP Civic SI
Quite sure rev hang can be tuned out. Might want to ask vit what options he might have for tuning rev hang out and possibly keeping the stock tune to a very very mild tune to get better mpg. If hondata is still the same price that's what $700 to get rid of rev hang.

Bu66a

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I thought the reason for rev hang was because the throttle doesn't close immediately after you step on the clutch due to emissions purposes? So what would a crank shaft pulley do....
Absolutely correct. You could have a crankshaft made out of toilet paper tube and a flywheel made out of paper plate and you'll still have rev-hang as long as the ECU prevents the throttle from snapping closed once you let off the accelerator in order to control emissions, which is the cause of the type of rev-hang in the context of the Civic.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I havent seen anything that says that the Rev-hang has been resolved with either Hondata or KTuner? Am I missing something here? This is one of the reasons I have been holding back on purchasing either tuner. I want the Rev-hang gone!!!!

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I havent seen anything that says that the Rev-hang has been resolved with either Hondata or KTuner? Am I missing something here? This is one of the reasons I have been holding back on purchasing either tuner. I want the Rev-hang gone!!!!
I haven't heard anything, either. Being an emissions-related function, the code that controls this may be buried deep within the ECU's programming or may be difficult to reverse engineer. It's also possible that it is hard-coded and not something that can be changed via firmware. If I were a tuner, I'm not sure I'd want a part in altering code that affects the position of the throttle blade as this could present a huge liability issue if some went wrong causing the throttle blade to open unexpectedly.
Sponsored