So.... 11th gen civic

Do you think Honda will pull a 9th gen as a result of the incoming recession?

• Total voters
OP
OP
longthaitran91

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
The last time there was an odd numbered generation that wasn't phoned in was the 5th gen, AKA the EGs. That was 92-95. That was almost 30 years ago.
From the votes I have gathered so far, there’s some uncertainty. It’s true that 9th gen were not bad cars, but bad civics. Us fans have high standards. These cheapish cars are pretty much the gold standard of having performance and reliability in the same package. Maybe Hyundai’s voloster will keep Honda focused. Who else has a halo compact sports car?
Sponsored

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
I wasn't expecting anything new for another year or 2 since they just did a refresh, but with the current issues I would expect them to push base models more rather than try to develop something cheaper.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From the votes I have gathered so far, there’s some uncertainty. It’s true that 9th gen were not bad cars, but bad civics. Us fans have high standards. These cheapish cars are pretty much the gold standard of having performance and reliability in the same package. Maybe Hyundai’s voloster will keep Honda focused. Who else has a halo compact sports car?
Unfortunately, if you look at past data, Honda has been trending downwards in reliability for a while now. However, it doesn’t mean Honda’s are unreliable, but they probably are further away from Toyota now. Hondas are generally more fun to drive than the competition, so I think Honda takes a bit more risk with making vehicles fun over maximum reliability.

Hyundai is one brand that could capitalize and take the segment if they play their cards right. The new Elantra design is bold and daring, and it sounds like it will have a full on N version as well. Combine that with typically great value and it will be interesting to see how it pans out. Of course, everyone has to get through the pandemic first before anyone will even think about buying cars again.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd of bought a 8th gen over my 9th gen Si... had they not held their value so well that I felt like getting a '15 for around 22k OTD was better than buying a '09 or '10 for around $15k. Even the earliest 8th gens were about $10k with high miles and shot paint. At least I got one of the late 9th gens with the tighter suspension. I heard the early ones were pretty loosey-goosey.

I think everyone is going to had crap sales numbers this year. People aren't driving much... many aren't going to have the disposable income to buy a new car and many may be in that boat for a stretch going beyond this model year. Going past 2021 is going to put Gen 10 long-in-the-tooth... but it may soldier on. Accord shares the platform and I think they're redesign was in '18... and I'd make sense if sedan sales are going in the gutter and overall car sales are tanking they might keep putting their eggs in the CUV basket and let Civic and Accord ride. We shall see. I haven't heard anything about any new fancy things coming out... be it powertrains... or electronic fun things. They added many of the electronic nannies across the lineup with the latest refresh. Even though our infotainment's OS looked the same as gen 9... we got Android Auto/Apple Car play that gen 9s never got an update to be able to do. mean... if Honda doesn't have some massive chassis improvement (and 10 was a big step up to me... over 9)… it's the same powertrain. The same infortainment capabilities. The same convenience/safety features. I think gen 11 is going to be doomed to be a tweener car. It's will be a car that'd be in production if we stick to a 54.5 fleet average CAFE hike... so I thought maybe it'd get some love early in gen 10 (I'd love to see those tiny batteries with the small electric motors like what GM offers as a ~$500 option. I oculd live with an extra 50 ft-lbs of torque and city MPGs for less than the weight of an extra occupant), but I wouldn't be surprised if the 2025 CAFE changes get delayed or cancelled outright.

ShadowFiend

SanaBanana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
I think it will just be a minor change...Maybe the infotainment will be the biggest one and update it to a better, quicker and more friendly interface.

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
Latest Honda news projects plant restarts on May 1st but is just tentative due to the ever changing current situation. Other news, Honda has partnered with GM to produce EV's based on GM's proprietary electric systems.
My belief is the current generation will continue awhile longer. Honda's March sales numbers are down 48%.
* Source: Honda News.

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You're not the only one. My first car was a '13 Civic LX. Honestly, sometimes I wish I kept it. It was simple, pleasantly comfortable, and the only issue I had was it not cranking right at 37K miles. The automatic, as old as it was, felt like it would probably run for a long time as long as you kept up with the maintenance.
Ay my first car was also a 2013 LX :D

Great to see a lot of us starting out with the same car and loving it, Had everything I needed and ran perfect no issues

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ay my first car was also a 2013 LX :D

Great to see a lot of us starting out with the same car and loving it, Had everything I needed and ran perfect no issues
Aha, felt alot of people knew the 9th gen was bad and Honda took that and quickly changed it after its first year debut in the new cycle, as they listened, and got people back on their side. Same with the 10th gen even, I like it...but it had its flaws. Only thing I didnt like mostly was the way the foglight looks, and also all the chrome.

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think any manufacturer's are going to be changing anything that's not already set up for the foreseeable future. Too much uncertainty on how long the current crisis is going to last and how hard it will be to get people working again as time goes on. Car sales are virtually non existent at the moment and almost half of the US employees have been furloughed in the automotive company I work for.
Sponsored