So.... 11th gen civic

Do you think Honda will pull a 9th gen as a result of the incoming recession?

• Total voters

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Well because of this coronavirus going on and shutdown. I don’t think Honda could ever catch a break with their odd numbered gen curse. I feel they may make some cost cutting measures on their next lineup on the civics again as with the 2012 model with a crappy chassis. If I’m full of shit, I’m willing to hear you out any good the 9th gen civics possesses. I never driven the 9th gen si, but I have driven the ex. Handled worse than my 96 civic ex and felt slower. If something like that happens I think our used civic prices will inflate again.
Sponsored

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 9th gen civic 2013 LX and honestly, I actually loved it. Had all the stuff I needed at the time. Couldn’t really shit on it honestly. But my mom had the 2012, I was confused on why mine looked different “at the time” but realized I had the quickly updated “mid cycle refresh?”. Which basically fixed a lot of stuff people hated bout it. The ride was nice, handled well, great gas. I can’t really get into the whole suspension/damper/ mumbo jumbo though. It just...worked. But I’m curious on what the next gen will look like, I feel like the post 10th gen civic (19+) is the civics peak right now. Idk how else they will style it more. But “components wise”...don’t think they’ll downgrade it and go backwards to cause an uproar with their buyers. I’d delay next gen and push an extra year in the cycle if I were at the helm, idk.
-
Edit(s): add-ons/typos

Last edited:

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had a 9th gen civic 2013 LX and honestly, I actually loved it. Had all the stuff I needed at the time. Couldn’t really shit on it honestly. But my mom had the 2012, I was confused on why mine looked different “at the time” but realized I had the quickly updated “mid cycle refresh?”. Which basically fixed a lot of stuff people hated bout it. The ride was nice, handled well, great gas. I can’t really get into the whole suspension/damper/ mumbo jumbo though. It just...worked. But I’m curious on what the next gen will look like, I feel like the post 10th gen civic (19+) is the civics peak right now. Idk how else they will style it more. But “components wise”...don’t think they’ll downgrade it and go backwards to cause an uproar with they’re buyers. I’d delay next gen and push an extra year in the cycle if I were at the helm, idk.
-
Edit(s): add-ons
You're not the only one. My first car was a '13 Civic LX. Honestly, sometimes I wish I kept it. It was simple, pleasantly comfortable, and the only issue I had was it not cranking right at 37K miles. The automatic, as old as it was, felt like it would probably run for a long time as long as you kept up with the maintenance.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Well because of this coronavirus going on and shutdown. I don’t think Honda could ever catch a break with their odd numbered gen curse. I feel they may make some cost cutting measures on their next lineup on the civics again as with the 2012 model with a crappy chassis. If I’m full of shit, I’m willing to hear you out any good the 9th gen civics possesses. I never driven the 9th gen si, but I have driven the ex. Handled worse than my 96 civic ex and felt slower. If something like that happens I think our used civic prices will inflate again.
I voted maybe - only because the odd number generation is never Honda's "new groundbreaking" design phase. Plus, the 9th gen was not horrible, if you look at it after 2013.

The 2012 was keeping the platform of the 8th gen, which is still a solid platform today - but instead of taking a nice foundation and building a pretty house on top, they shoved a trailer on top and called it a day.

Hence the emergency redesign with the new sound insulation and reworked interior touches. Had they released the 9.5 as the original 9th get, it still would have been a "lesser" generation model but not nearly as scorned as it was originally.

I bet the 11th gen will look and feel like the 10th, as it will keep the same Honda vehicle platform that all the cars share, with some noticeable changes to body work, interior fit and finish, and maybe a new engine model.

I bet honda drops the 2.0 in the LX, moves the 1.5T down model, and brings a new turbo motor on the Si lineup, and introduces an Si hatchback.

nox

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Metallic Civic EX-T
Country flag
they could merge civic and insight and call it 11th gen civic

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
The paramount is not to worry about things you cannot control. Focus on what you can and leave the unimportant decisions to those who do have control in those areas.

Vexels

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda keeps the 10th gen around longer than normal - for a car that's almost 5 years old, it seems to be doing really well, still remaining competitive along the new Sentra, Corolla, etc.

If/when the 11th gen comes, I just hope Honda doesn't take any shortcuts. And they don't listen to the negative reception about the Civic's styling - just like how they adopted the agressive styling before anyone else back in 2015, the Civic should be radical and controversially styled.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-T, 2019 CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I wouldn't be surprised if Honda keeps the 10th gen around longer than normal - for a car that's almost 5 years old, it seems to be doing really well, still remaining competitive along the new Sentra, Corolla, etc.

If/when the 11th gen comes, I just hope Honda doesn't take any shortcuts. And they don't listen to the negative reception about the Civic's styling - just like how they adopted the agressive styling before anyone else back in 2015, the Civic should be radical and controversially styled.

I agree. I think Honda was already planning on going at least one more year on the 10th gen. I've looked around and haven't seen any spy shots of the 2021 Civic. If they were planning on introducing the 11th gen for 2021 there would be lots of disguised test mules running around. It also makes sense since the 9th gen was only four years instead of five and the current gen is still a huge hit and selling very well.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Enlightenment:
The U.S. EPA standards are not as robust as the EU. This is a causal factor that drives Global Enterprises (such as Honda) to release in the EU prior to the U..S.
Profitability is an aiming point and regulations are the driving point; no pun intended. The U.S. greenhouse laws that are currently in place have a through date of 2025. Honda may very well remain with the current array of vehicles until 2024. As newer emission standards in production are made, the release would be in EU first then migrate to the U.S. in stages.
The “Hybrid” CRV was just released this year in the U.S. So, think of that as stage one; as the American market is high in SUV sales. Which vehicle class will be next?
The Engineering model for automobile manufacturers is typically 6yrs ahead of the curve and the market only catches wind of it 6-9mo max from release.
Enjoy the tuning enthusiasm while it lasts. We cannot conclude that the “moderately” adequate performance on a budget vehicle won’t exist. However, those will be fewer and far between in the near future.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I agree. I think Honda was already planning on going at least one more year on the 10th gen. I've looked around and haven't seen any spy shots of the 2021 Civic. If they were planning on introducing the 11th gen for 2021 there would be lots of disguised test mules running around. It also makes sense since the 9th gen was only four years instead of five and the current gen is still a huge hit and selling very well.
Most likely! I'd like...

-LED headlights becoming a standard at least probably with an option of the touring lights or just LED projectors instead of halogen as well as the fog lights. Kind've how they just gave the 2020 SI LED driving lights. So I feel it coming down the line.

-And updated infotainment system. Its so laggy, thank god for Carplay/Auto saving that mess, also maybe wireless CarPlay/Auto as an option (if only).

-Blind spot monitoring, not the crappy 1 sided camera that hangs off the side of the passenger mirror, I kinda don't like that. I'd rather the amber warning LED or w/e most cars have now.

Mmmmmmm I'd edit if I think of any other features, this car came loaded with stuff I never had before. I feel spoiled as it is coming for a '13 LX. I won't be upgrading my baby for like 5 years mostly cuz I ride my bike all year long so mileage won't skyrocket. But I wanna hopefully go for the hatchback next and make it a type-r replica, think it'll be fun to do. :headbang:
-
Not a damn clue how else they'll style the civic line btw.

Last edited:

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Most likely! I'd like...

-LED headlights becoming a standard at least probably with an option of the touring lights or just LED projectors instead of halogen as well as the fog lights. Kind've how they just gave the 2020 SI LED driving lights. So I feel it coming down the line.

-And updated infotainment system. Its so laggy, thank god for Carplay/Auto saving that mess, also maybe wireless CarPlay/Auto as an option (if only).

-Blind spot monitoring, not the crappy 1 sided camera that hangs off the side of the passenger mirror, I kinda don't like that. I'd rather the amber warning LED or w/e most cars have now.

Mmmmmmm I'd edit if I think of any other features, this car came loaded with stuff I never had before. I feel spoiled as it is coming for a '13 LX. I won't be upgrading my baby for like 5 years mostly cuz I ride my bike all year long so mileage won't skyrocket. But I wanna hopefully go for the hatchback next and make it a type-r replica, think it'll be fun to do. :headbang:
-
Not a damn clue how else they'll style the civic line btw.
We had an 18 accord sport for about a year (traded it for a cr-v after a bad late winter in early 2019) and the Accords infotainment is worlds better than the Civic. It did kind of suck going back to the older on one in the CR-V but the dash and controls are very similar between our Civic and CR-V so going back and forth between the two vehicles is easy. I do like having the volume control on the CR-V. I am actually thinking about trading the Civic for an Si after all this crap is over and things start to get back to normal. I'm not a fan of the 17-19 styling but I think the updates for the 2020 look a lot better. Still HATE the center exhaust though. It will be interesting to see how motivated they are to sell cars after the dealers open up again (Dealers around here are closed until May 4th), though Si's may be in short supply.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We had an 18 accord sport for about a year (traded it for a cr-v after a bad late winter in early 2019) and the Accords infotainment is worlds better than the Civic. It did kind of suck going back to the older on one in the CR-V but the dash and controls are very similar between our Civic and CR-V so going back and forth between the two vehicles is easy. I do like having the volume control on the CR-V. I am actually thinking about trading the Civic for an Si after all this crap is over and things start to get back to normal. I'm not a fan of the 17-19 styling but I think the updates for the 2020 look a lot better. Still HATE the center exhaust though. It will be interesting to see how motivated they are to sell cars after the dealers open up again (Dealers around here are closed until May 4th), though Si's may be in short supply.
The volume knob coming back was one of the biggest reasons alot of people traded in their 10th gen's for most parts. The HDMI slot exhaust...I loved it at first, and I still do, like ALOT, but after seeing that the SI's are better "designed" because of their diffusers I can't help but stare at mine sometimes. My sport trim has like a 2-3 inch gap separating from the diffuser instead of being flushed.

With this whole crisis, I think when dealers open, they may do like a good cut off MSRP or some kinda of program with lower APR rates or something. Cause a lot of people are going to be on the verge of dipping into savings pretty soon. There won't be any white tag's roaming the streets for a very long time.

redstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The volume knob coming back was one of the biggest reasons alot of people traded in their 10th gen's for most parts. The HDMI slot exhaust...I loved it at first, and I still do, like ALOT, but after seeing that the SI's are better "designed" because of their diffusers I can't help but stare at mine sometimes. My sport trim has like a 2-3 inch gap separating from the diffuser instead of being flushed.

With this whole crisis, I think when dealers open, they may do like a good cut off MSRP or some kinda of program with lower APR rates or something. Cause a lot of people are going to be on the verge of dipping into savings pretty soon. There won't be any white tag's roaming the streets for a very long time.
I am thinking they will be pretty desperate. Honda rarely offers any huge incentives and our dealer here doesn't have any other big volume Honda dealers within 150 miles. My business is essential (computer repair) so I am still working. First week of the stay at home order was a little slow but last week was just about normal. With so many people relying on their computers at home, my services should still be in demand. I still called Honda and they are letting me skip April and May's payments on both cars which will help reduce out of pocket for the next two months. My wife is a part time aid at a catholic school and they are still paying her so we should be ok. If they continue to offer the $1000 assistance and add some super low interest rates I may pull the trigger. My civic is pretty much my favorite car I have ever owned so if I can't get a good deal I have no problem keeping it. Easy to walk away and make them beg.

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Enlightenment:
The U.S. EPA standards are not as robust as the EU. This is a causal factor that drives Global Enterprises (such as Honda) to release in the EU prior to the U..S.
In the EU I think starting from 2021 all manufacturers must pay money after each car they sell if the vehicle's average CO2 emission is over 95g/km. And they have to pay after each gram of CO2! They can decrease fine by selling cars with CO2 below 95g/km, and by selling electic cars. But honda here is in trouble I think. This is the current list of civic sold in Germany:

(Prices are in Euro)
1.0 VTEC® TURBO S 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 20.990,–
1.0 VTEC® TURBO Comfort 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 23.690,–
1.0 VTEC® TURBO Comfort Sport 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 25.440,–
1.0 VTEC® TURBO Elegance 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 26.690,–
1.0 VTEC® TURBO Executive 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 29.490,–
1.0 VTEC® TURBO Executive Sport 93 kW (126 PS) 1.0 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 30.690,–
1.5 VTEC® TURBO Sport Plus 134 kW (182 PS) 1.5 VTEC® TURBO Benzinmotor 6-Gang-Schaltgetriebe 32.990,–

Puma

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I honestly did not like my 9th gen too much. 2012 civic si sedan. I LOVED my 8th gen 2006 Si coupe a LOT more. The 9th just felt really cheap on the interior and the exterior styling was really bland. The 8th had a really nice interior, all the alcantara everywhere and the car just felt much better put together. My 9th was very plasticy on the inside, lots of rattles, and the door panels were one of the ugliest things I’d ever seen. Plus the ride just didn’t feel up to par. This pushed me away from the brand, I picked up an Audi A4, but I just felt like I was missing something inside lol. I missed driving standard and the feel of the 6spd gearbox. I was super hesitant to picking up a 10th gen Si because of my disappointment with the 9th. And I’m glad I hesitated and waited because once the type r came out I fell in love. I absolutely love my 10th gen FK8. Even the Si 10th that i rode in was FAR up and above the 9th I owned. So I hope and pray that Honda doesn’t take a step backwards with the 11th. That would be a huge disappointment and they might lose me again as a Honda fanatic for another few years, if not more....
Sponsored