Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons?

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
I've had dedicated winter tires on separate wheels for the last three cars. We're expecting snow tomorrow, so I actually just swapped blizzaks onto my Fit a few hours ago. Despite this, I'm seriously considering not getting snow tires for the Civic.

Are winter tires going to give you better traction in the snow? Obviously yes. Have I gotten meaningful use out of the winter tires I've had over the last ten years? To be honest, not really. I've driven in real snow maybe three times- I don't count it as real snow after the plows come through and it melts into slush- in that period.

I'm sure my opinion would change if I lived somewhere colder, or if I liked winter sports enough to drive into the mountains, but that's where I'm at today.

Actually, this might be the right option for you-

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/michelin-crossclimate2

All season tires that are winter rated (weird snowflake/mountain symbol), provide great traction for not being an extreme performance all season, and won a few European tire testing roundups. I put them on the Ridgeline, but haven't had a chance to get them out in snow yet.

Sponsored

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
+1 for Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 as your year-round does the job tire.

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
+1 for Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 as your year-round does the job tire.
He's in Astoria, and wants to drive in the "Northern US" - not sure that's now country or not. But it the DWS wouldn't cut it in New England mountains if you're going skiing (driving into snow rather than hiding out).

NotSerious

First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018CivicLXSedanCVT
Country flag
As some have already mentioned, an "all weather" tire may be ideal in your situation. They are basically "all season" tires with a winter bias. They have the "three peak, snowflake" designation. A couple of all weather tires mentioned previously were the Michelin CrossClimate2 and the Vredestein Quatrac 5. There are others. Here is an evaluation of some of them. The Michelin CrossClimate+ and CrossClimate2 give the best balance between summer and winter performance. The Nokian WR G4 give the best winter performance. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 give the best fuel mileage and are the quietest.
Honda Civic 10th gen Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons? 1

Last edited:

JW0914

Banned
Banned
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 Orion Nebula
Country flag
Whether you should use all-season or winter tires depends mainly on the normal ambient air temperature where you live during winter, with the second factor being if it normally snows there, as the rubber compounds are completely different and temperature-sensitive.
  • All-season tires: are normally good for use down to ~32F/~0C and are only intended to be used in temperate climates that don't see freezing temperatures and snow
  • Winter tires: are normally good for use well below 0F/~17.78C and the tread of winter tires is extremely soft (you can literally push your thumb into the tread), remaining so even at temperatures below 0F

• Summer tires: should only be used when ambient air temps are above 40F, with some models requiring even higher temps, as using them at lower temps can cause unwarrantable stress cracks in the rubber and it's unlikely the rubber would warm up enough to normal operating temps to make use of the tread's stickiness - these are downright dangerous to use in snow/slush.
    • Unlike Winter tires, summer tires have a firm tread until at operating temp, at which point the tread becomes sticky, which is why the Conti SC6s throw pebbles into the brake shields of the CTR
All of this information is listed on the tire manufacturer's site for any arbitrary tire model.

Last edited:

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I decided against dedicated snow/ice tires for my Civic Type R. We have an Outback, and VW Sportwagen with snows, in the family. I tired the Vredestein Quadtrac Pro's, and am quite pleased with the performance in snow. I wouldn't want to be on I-75 in Northern Michigan in a snow storm, but for most snow days they are good enough. The Cross Climates are highly rated too.

2020CivicSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI
Country flag
You can get away with a set of decent all seasons and some tire chains. If you're going up in the mountains alot, nothing beats dedicated winter tires, but if you really cant have a second set of wheel get some all seasons which have good snow performance + some tire chains. The chains are a must imo. Plus theyre not too expensive (50-70 usd), and you can just keep them in your trunk.

Dude

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 type R
Country flag
i love the kumho krugens on my sienna, very heavily winter biased all season, so much that it has the 3 peak winter rating. i dont have any experience in the summer with them as i put them on in the fall, but my fwd sienna can climb some pretty impressive little hills with them and take on some fairly deep snow, i think i had it in 6 inches and it was chugging along slowly.

i was considering winter tires for my type r but decided to get pilot sport all season 4 instead, not much snow driving experience so far but they seem competent enough. not even close to the wrx i used to have with its sottozero 3s tho, had some fun driving into canada in the winter with it but i dont do that anymore so i have no need for winter tires anymore where i live in NJ. i love these Michelins so far but i think id be terrified to climb a mountain with them.

kaptainkatsu

First Name
Katsu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
This is the first winter I haven’t had snow tires and really not liking it. I just bought my Si so don’t have spare money to buy a new set of winter tires and wheels. It makes a huge difference.

I’ll probably also swap the stock tires to DWS06 eventually as well.

Hasdrubal

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si sedan, 2015 Fit, 2009 Ridgeline
Country flag
The stock tires on my Si were garbage. Like garbage in the dry, flaming garbage in the wet. I can't imagine trying to drive on them in the snow. Any of the options suggested here would be better, I drove yesterday in partially melted but still several inch deep snow on some BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S + and they worked just fine. Blizzaks on the Fit the day before were even better, but I'd probably have better luck on a skateboard than stock Si tires.

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Continental extremecontact sport should be a really good all season tire
Didn't know you were on here bro! Nice to see ya!

Ahaha but I think you are confusing the tire model ? The ECS will go nowhere in snow, it's a dedicated max performance summer tire! I got caught off guard at the in-laws place with them on in the first snow storm in November, and rest assured had trouble even making it back into the driveway after moving it to get the other cars out.

You are likely referring to the Continental WinterContact, which are their snow tire offerings

Honda Civic 10th gen Snow tires? or high performance all-seasons? DSC_1456.JPG

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Again, Michelin proves itself to significantly better than any other brand. Expensive as hell, but if you’ve gotta have the best, you’ll shell out.

The Continental DWS06 is also an incredible tire if you want to save a little dough. They even just released an updated version (DWS06 Plus). Apparently they weigh less and have a stronger sidewall now.

Ocelot

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T sedan, '12 LX sedan
Country flag
I use A/S rubber on my 2016 EX-T during the three warm seasons and switch to dedicated winter Michelin X-Ice III's between Canadian Thanksgiving and Easter. dedicated winter tires are essentially "free" (asside from the rims) if you consider that you only wear one set out while it's being used. the enhanced traction and confidence aren't duplicated with any all-weather or all season tire.
Sponsored