First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 4D Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey Folks...my 2017 Civic came with 17" wheels and I've been advised to get 15" wheels with whatever snow tire of my choice. Is 15" wheels for snow driving really recommended or should I stick with 17" wheels?

17Civ

OP
OP

58Ranger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
It doesn't really matter the smaller diameter wheels are generally cheaper but for snow traction the diameter of your wheel doesn't matter though a smaller wheel will give more sidewall to cushion potholes if that's a problem in your area

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic SI sedan 2017 , Civic SI sedan 2013
Country flag
It doesn't really matter the smaller diameter wheels are generally cheaper but for snow traction the diameter of your wheel doesn't matter though a smaller wheel will give more sidewall to cushion potholes if that's a problem in your area
It is not only cheaper. It's better!

A smaller and narrower tire has better grip and performance in snow or ice. This is both because the smaller tire cuts through snow more effectively and because the weight of the car is pressing on a more focused set of contact patches.
https://www.thoughtco.com/why-downsize-your-winter-wheels-3234481

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I am stuck.

I called 2 Honda dealerships and they both told me that I could not downgrade to 17-inch alloy wheels. The only choice is to buy 18-inch winter tires and use the OE 18-inch alloys.

On the other hand, some of you guys are doing the 17-inch.

Last edited:

polished1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
nothing
Country flag
I am stuck.

I called 2 Honda dealerships and they both told me that I could not downgrade to 17-inch alloy wheels. The only choice is to buy 18-inch winter tires and use the OE 18-inch alloys.

I'm also in ON and I currently have 17" winter tires on my si. Steelies were bought from Canadian Tire and tires from a separate shop.

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am stuck.

Of course 17" fit on the SI. Just need to watch the offset.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Of course 17" fit on the SI. Just need to watch the offset.
I would think so.
One dealership actually said the calipers of the SI are as large as the Type-R so not a lot of alloy wheels will fit. I think they are just reading off from their corporate computer.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Would 8" wide with offset 40mm fit? I didn't see anything in 7-7.5 that I liked.
I'm considering these:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...an&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=&tire=25HR7XI3XL
Still trying to decide between the Michelin XI3 or the Bridgestone WS80 in 225/50/17
I am going for this one. It comes in black as well.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...del=Civic+Si+Sedan&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

I originally wanted the 17x7 with 45mm offset (same as the Touring) but Enkei suggested 17 x 7 with 38mm offset. As for tires. I am in the same boat as you; deciding between the WS80 and X-Ice3. Why 225-50-17? I think I would go for 215-50-17. The difference in speedometer with 215-50-17 is only +0.4% and also thinner tire is better for winter 9less snow to plow).

I see you are familiar with Tirerack. There are comparison charts in 1010tires as well:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews

enilm

First Name
Enil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic SI 2017 Sedan
I am going for this one. It comes in black as well.
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...del=Civic+Si+Sedan&autoYear=2017&autoModClar=

I originally wanted the 17x7 with 45mm offset (same as the Touring) but Enkei suggested 17 x 7 with 38mm offset. As for tires. I am in the same boat as you; deciding between the WS80 and X-Ice3. Why 225-50-17? I think I would go for 215-50-17. The difference in speedometer with 215-50-17 is only +0.4% and also thinner tire is better for winter 9less snow to plow).

I see you are familiar with Tirerack. There are comparison charts in 1010tires as well:
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews
I'm going with the 225 because that's what tire rack recommended. Plus I think I'll like it for everyday driving. It doesn't snow every day here in NJ, I'll say about 3-4 snow storms during the whole season. Work is only 1 town over which takes me 12 minutes.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I'm going with the 225 because that's what tire rack recommended. Plus I think I'll like it for everyday driving. It doesn't snow every day here in NJ, I'll say about 3-4 snow storms during the whole season. Work is only 1 town over which takes me 12 minutes.
I see. I just talked to Tirerack yesterday and he also recommended 225. We discussed 215 and he actaully agreed.
I am in Toronto and have long work commute, thinner tires would be helpful. This is the reason I plan to downsize to 17-inch, to have skinner tires and respects the overall diameter.

Last edited:

skullmurdoc

First Name
Frederick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see. I just talked to Tirerack yesterday and he also recommended 225. We discussed 215 and he actaully agreed.
I am in Toronto and have long work commute, thinner tires would be helpful. His is 5e reason I downsize to 17-inch. To have a skinner tire and respect the overall diameter.
Yes you are better off with smaller width tires.
It's better in deep snow and for cornering in slippery condition.

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
With aftermarket wheels like Enkei, I was told to get hub centric rings and new lug nuts. When I asked for new wheel locks, they told me wheel locks were not required because the lug nuts would require special sockets.

How about center caps? Would Honda OE caps fit?
Sponsored