Snow tires and rims for a 2016 Coupe touring.

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring White Orchid Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any recommendations for good snow tires and rims for a 2016 Coupe touring? Also, I'm in Canada.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 winters and put them on 16" Honda steelies. I dropped down from 17" rims and varied slightly from the stock 16" tire size to go with a more standard size. Original tire size: 215/50R17, my winter tires: 205/60R16. My 2006 Civic ran Hakka 5 winters and I loved them. My truck has the Hakka LT tires and they are a great improvement even over the Cooper All Weather tires I use during the summer.

These Hakka 8's are directional and pre-studded tires and by far outdrive previous winter tires I've had including an awesome set of Blizzak Winter Duellers I had on a Ford minivan a few years ago which were already miles ahead of the regular Blizzak WS-50 (or whatever they were called).

I have 25,000kms on the car an 95% of that was on the Hakka 8's up here in Northern Ontario.

My only change would be to buy a nice set of alloy rims instead of the steel rims. I may upgrade for next year.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 winters and put them on 16" Honda steelies. I dropped down from 17" rims and varied slightly from the stock 16" tire size to go with a more standard size. Original tire size: 215/50R17, my winter tires: 205/60R16. My 2006 Civic ran Hakka 5 winters and I loved them. My truck has the Hakka LT tires and they are a great improvement even over the Cooper All Weather tires I use during the summer.

These Hakka 8's are directional and pre-studded tires and by far outdrive previous winter tires I've had including an awesome set of Blizzak Winter Duellers I had on a Ford minivan a few years ago which were already miles ahead of the regular Blizzak WS-50 (or whatever they were called).

I have 25,000kms on the car an 95% of that was on the Hakka 8's up here in Northern Ontario.

My only change would be to buy a nice set of alloy rims instead of the steel rims. I may upgrade for next year.
Cool. Thanks. I like the idea of dropping size, but I'm pretty sure any kind of stud is illegal in Southern Ontario. You guys up North get a pass. I'll check out the Hakkas, though. Are alloy rims better than steel? Most of the guys I see changing over seem to use steel rims.

OP
OP
CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just had another question re: snow tires, pop into my head. I read here that there is no 'real time' tire pressure monitor on the 2016 Civic, but it has a warning light when your tires are low. If that's the case, there must be a wireless transmitter inside the rim. Does anyone know what will happen when I put those rims in my garage and change to the snow tires? Will I be driving all winter with a low tire pressure warning on my dash, because the car can't see my rims?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
Cool. Thanks. I like the idea of dropping size, but I'm pretty sure any kind of stud is illegal in Southern Ontario. You guys up North get a pass. I'll check out the Hakkas, though. Are alloy rims better than steel? Most of the guys I see changing over seem to use steel rims.
Ya, I figured you were from the south but took a chance. Hakka's unstudded are still awesome tires.

The old thought was that alloy rims turn to crap with all the salt exposure but I'm not sure this is valid anymore. The other point is that steelies are cheaper and easy to re-paint.

I run winter tires from early November to end of April so I would prefer a good looking rim during that time. It's only money right?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I just had another question re: snow tires, pop into my head. I read here that there is no 'real time' tire pressure monitor on the 2016 Civic, but it has a warning light when your tires are low. If that's the case, there must be a wireless transmitter inside the rim. Does anyone know what will happen when I put those rims in my garage and change to the snow tires? Will I be driving all winter with a low tire pressure warning on my dash, because the car can't see my rims?
No transmitter. No issues when changing over. The wheel speed sensor that is part of the anti-lock brakes can see small RPM variances over time and identify a low tire.

OP
OP
CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ya, I figured you were from the south but took a chance. Hakka's unstudded are still awesome tires.

The old thought was that alloy rims turn to crap with all the salt exposure but I'm not sure this is valid anymore. The other point is that steelies are cheaper and easy to re-paint.

I run winter tires from early November to end of April so I would prefer a good looking rim during that time. It's only money right?
Yeah, you Wildlings, North of the Wall have your own laws! LOL!!

OP
OP
CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No transmitter. No issues when changing over. The wheel speed sensor that is part of the anti-lock brakes can see small RPM variances over time and identify a low tire.
Wow! Too cool! Thanks!!!

BRussell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
There is no wireless sensor. For the past couple of years, they have used an indirect TPMS that uses the anti-lock breaks and the vehicle stability control to sense when one tire is turning at a different rate from the others.

CdnColin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2O16 Civic Touring 'WOP', 2016 HRV EXL w/nav. 'Milano Red'
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have Michelin X-Ice on the Honda steelies. Worked great. Have the same set-up on my wifes HRV.

Didn't think the Canadian Civics had any form of tire monitoring on any model?

Ultrafrozen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gavnzdad
I have Michelin X-Ice on the Honda steelies. Worked great. Have the same set-up on my wifes HRV.

Didn't think the Canadian Civics had any form of tire monitoring on any model?
That's almost cruel! I checked the manual and it does state "US models" at the TPMS section. I check my tire pressure regularly so I'm not worried but it seems weird given that all the hardware is there and they took this feature out for Canadian Civics.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best bet would be to get some 15"-16" steel wheels and some cheap snow tires to pop on the front on a bad day. No more than it snows here, it'd be a waste of time for me though.

jhaze84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This past winter I used General Altimax Arctics on 16" steelies. If I could do it over again, I would get inexpensive alloy rims instead of steelies. They really take away from the look of the car.

mechatune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.slow
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
OP
OP
CanadaNeal

CanadaNeal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
We only got about 4 days of snow last year in Toronto.
Good point. I guess I'm thinking of winters we used to get. Then, when I look at these treads I get a little worried. There's not a lot of snow bite there. They grip dry roads like glue, though. Maybe I'll re-think it. Thanks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Snow tires and rims for a 2016 Coupe touring. co_procon_tx_ci2_l__29940.1461519318.300.300
Sponsored