mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I am in Canada too. I will check but I am almost sure that Bluetooth doesn't show txt messages. I always use Apple Car play so... I rarely use the Bluetooth only connection.
Do you have SMS with Apple Car Play?

I installed Andriod Auto and still no SMS, In fact, I do not see a messaging icon bottom task bar. BTW, I do not like Andriod Auto at all.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sedan EX WOP - Aero Kit/Wing Spoiler
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I installed Andriod Auto and still no SMS, In fact, I do not see a messaging icon bottom task bar. BTW, I do not like Andriod Auto at all.
Yeah I get notifications for txt msg via apple carplay. that works just fine.

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

My brother has android and spotify is a bit better on android. They are similar but I think apple carplay is more straight forward. I never had an android and I don't like android.... soooo... yeah lol. But I've seen both and used both. I cant remember how you get the notifications on android but I've seen my brother answer txt msgs and read msgs.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
My brother has android and spotify is a bit better on android. They are similar but I think apple carplay is more straight forward. I never had an android and I don't like android.... soooo... yeah lol. But I've seen both and used both. I cant remember how you get the notifications on android but I've seen my brother answer txt msgs and read msgs.
My biggest aversions to Android phones are: (1) Inconsistency. Every model looks and operates a bit differently since every brand and carrier is free to modify the user interface. I understand some models are available with "pure Android" that helps address this concern. (2) They feel and look "plasticky" compared to glass and metal iPhones. The designs have been getting better, though.

I think I got text messaging to work once in my CR-V, but never in my Ridgeline or Si. :(

tsupersonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback EX-L, '17 Forester XT
Country flag
Did you configure your phone for SMS access? You need to do it via the Bluetooth settings on your phone. On my Galaxy S8 -> Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Tap HandsFreeLink settings button, and enable Message access. If you use Bluetooth, your car will display SMS. If you use Android Auto, you'll get message notifications as well.

Android Auto works better than Apple CarPlay in my experience.What phone do you have OP?

Javex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My biggest aversions to Android phones are: (1) Inconsistency. Every model looks and operates a bit differently since every brand and carrier is free to modify the user interface. I understand some models are available with "pure Android" that helps address this concern. (2) They feel and look "plasticky" compared to glass and metal iPhones. The designs have been getting better, though.

I think I got text messaging to work once in my CR-V, but never in my Ridgeline or Si. :(
I never liked the phones or the interface. I have a lot of apple products and I do not use windows... so I just stick to apple. Like you said... I like the premium materials. I am no apple fanboy but haven't seen any android phone that makes me want to switch. I do see the flaws in apple and I see the benefits of having an android but... I think apple is a better option for me as of now.

I think android auto and apple carplay function/perform the same. I haven't had many issues with apple and same with my brother and android. I think it goes down to 1)the phone 2) the app 3) current updates/software.

I had issues with spotify but that was due to their own update, not Honda, not apple. My 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Did you configure your phone for SMS access? You need to do it via the Bluetooth settings on your phone. On my Galaxy S8 -> Settings -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Tap HandsFreeLink settings button, and enable Message access. If you use Bluetooth, your car will display SMS. If you use Android Auto, you'll get message notifications as well.
Android Auto works better than Apple CarPlay in my experience.What phone do you have OP?
In my Priv (Blackberry Andriod), there is a screen called Message Access in Bluetooth -> Advanced -> Text Messages (SMS/MMS), this is enabled. As I said before, I installed Andriod Auto, there is no messaging icon in the bottom task bar as well.

I do have a iPhone 6S but did not install Apple CarPlay yet. I installed Andriod Auto, I am not impressed at all. The user interface (skin) seems mickey mouse!

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here is one last thing I remembered, in the settings on the car, somewhere under the text messages part there is something that ask what account you want to use, one is for email i think and the other is for sms. Maybe you have to have that selected. All I know for sure is that I've had four different phones and one thing or another didn't work on every one, the iPhone in particular would not send or receive texts.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
Here is one last thing I remembered, in the settings on the car, somewhere under the text messages part there is something that ask what account you want to use, one is for email i think and the other is for sms. Maybe you have to have that selected. All I know for sure is that I've had four different phones and one thing or another didn't work on every one, the iPhone in particular would not send or receive texts.
Do I select both sms and email?

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
As per attached screenshot, both Enable Test/Email and New Message Notification are both set.

Honda Civic 10th gen SMS C5D3B7DF-8FCE-4325-839F-AD28802C46C1

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I selected text.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I'm at a loss, I just had to get my wife's new phone working on there and I had to go through so much stuff that I can't even remember what I did,but it finally did work, like I said before, everything doesn't work with every phone. At this point to save yourself some major headaches, maybe you can try some friends phones to see if they work, or like I said before ask the dealer to do it for you and see if they can get it to work. I know it's frustrating when something doesn't work correctly or at all. I've tried with three different phones to get the Honda link app to work and its basically a piece of garbage so I deleted it. Just one more try though, I don't know if you said you did or not , but on the hands-free link settings under blue tooth, is the box checked off that says message access?
Sponsored