Smoke in Engine Bay After Downpipe Installe

Mantihts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
I installed my PRL catless downpipe the other day and after a short drive (1-2mi) white smoke was billowing out of the hood scoop. Under the hood the smoke was rising from the left side opening of the downpipe heat shield. I couldn't get a good picture of what was smoking from there, I assumed it was my heat wrap, but the right side of the pipe was exposed and there was no smoke coming from it.

Fast forward another 10mi and the smoke started to pool out of the intercooler instead.

I was about 110mi from home and had no choice but to keep driving. Engine coolant temp stayed low, no oil was burning or leaking, IATs looked good. No smoke ever came out of the exhaust.

It doesn't seem to be smoking anymore, no smell, but I can't shake the thought - especially since my last car burned to the ground.

Has anyone else experienced this? I was thinking oils from production/shipment, penetrating spray we used on the turbo outlet.
Sponsored

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Most likely oil/grease from the install. Any longtube, header, etc., exhaust work I've done over the years typically has some smoke like you mentioned.

If you had an exhaust leak, I think you would notice the smell.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
What kind of heat wrap you use?

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda HR-V Sport; 2019 Honda Civic Type R;
Country flag
When I wrapped my front pipe, I had white smoke for at least the first 25-50 miles and then it went away

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine smoked like a train at first, but I used a 1/4 can of PB Blaster on the bolts, lol.

I also wrapped it.

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is most likely from the wrap.
I used DEI titanium heat wrap on my dp and fp on both of my car.. I do notice a burnt smell ... I don't recall I sell any smoke but it depends on the heat wrap material.

At first I was concern as it smells burnt so badly.. but it eventually goes away.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
The smoke is perfectly normal especially if you just installed wrap. It’s all of the chems and stuff burning off

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Ntl, I wouldn't use heat wrap anywhere where salt/water/corrosion like that are present.
Sponsored