Smoke and smell after downpipe install?

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
Today I installed a PRL catted downpipe and everything seemed ok as far as the install. However, after a 5-10 min drive I realized there was smoking coming from the engine bay. I’ve been told it’s normal and common with a new dp.

I’m wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? Did your car have a weird burning smell/gas immediately after the dp install?

also, did you put the top heat shield on?
Sponsored

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Today I installed a PRL catted downpipe and everything seemed ok as far as the install. However, after a 5-10 min drive I realized there was smoking coming from the engine bay. I’ve been told it’s normal and common with a new dp.

I’m wondering if anyone else has any experience with this? Did your car have a weird burning smell/gas immediately after the dp install?

also, did you put the top heat shield on?
Just installed my prl a couple weeks ago and yes the burning was normal. I also had smoke coming from my turbo blanket which is the fiberglass burning. But now after a little driving it has gone away. But, I have heard it can even last up to 1k miles.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
For sure. This is absolutely normal for new metal exhaust parts. These parts have been chemical dipped and heat treated in the factory they were made. This crap needs to burn off and the metal needs to go through a few heat cycles before it stabilizes. Same with any heat wrap or fiberglass blanket. Those smoke/smell like crazy when new.

Obviously, if you go on a 200 mile trip without stopping, all off that is going to burn off faster. But if you’re going for short trips while breaking it in, it’s never going to get really hot and it’s going to take some extra time.

OP
OP
Marlo42

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
I really appreciate all the feedback. The next day most of the smell was gone and I saw no smoke. Seems we are okay after all.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
I just installed a used prl and it smoked and smelled also. Maybe the new gasket and the pb blaster I sprayed all over for the install.
Sponsored